Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Position WILL the Steelers select @ 17

Administrator

User Info Menu

Mingo is a typical Tomlin-era pick and I don't like it at all.

If you read my long winded Colbert/Tomlin-era team building/plan then you know why.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My mock draft depicts what I think Tomlin/Colbert will do in the draft. If it were up to me, I load up on offense heavy this draft and start by drafting a first round stud OL. Take Warmack or Lane Johnson if there. If not then try and trade out of the first or to the back end of the first for more picks.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Mingo is a typical Tomlin-era pick and I don't like it at all.

If you read my long winded Colbert/Tomlin-era team building/plan then you know why.
    I agree with you. Mingo is one of those very raw unproven guys, skies the limit yet who knows. I don't like the pick one bit. I would rather have Wammack (and trust me I don't want to draft a Guard in the first).
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I agree with you. Mingo is one of those very raw unproven guys, skies the limit yet who knows. I don't like the pick one bit. I would rather have Wammack (and trust me I don't want to draft a Guard in the first).
    Not to mention that Mingo has said that he has played DE with his hand in the dirt in a 4-3 in his career and that he doesn't really want to be an OLB. Drafting him would be asking for trouble and a brooding 1st round pick IMO.

He may be great, but not in a 3-4 as a standup OLB.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMaine83 View Post
    If the guys they are interested in (Vaccaro, Rhodes, etc.) are gone by the time 17 roles around they'll probably go with a "faller", the BPA, as is the Steelers way. However, if they wanted to do something totally uncharacteristic, they could trade for more picks (is there a huge difference between 25-50 this year--depends on what you like) with Miami. Trade value puts us giving up 17 for both 2's (42, 54) and their 4 (111), and would allow Steelers to nab a S, CB, and OL of their choice in 2 and Simon (who they like) in 3, then a WR with one of the 4 picks. #1 receivers are often "bust", not "boom".
    Trade back is unusual, not unprecedented. Colbert traded back from 16 to 19, picked up a 4 and a 6 from the Jets in the process, then took Casey Hampton in 2001. This would be the draft to do it. It's not very good at the top, but it is deep to the point where 2's 3's 4's and 5's will bring good players. There will be WR's who can play in rounds 2, 3, and 4, a good group of round 3 pass rushers, value in rounds 3 - 5 at safety. Needs can be filled and depth built this year by trading back, and there are a number of legit Steeler targets late round 1/early round 2. Eddie Lacy, Robert Woods, Matt Elam, Alex Okafor, even Jesse Williams are all reaches at 17, but legit 25 - 30.