Thread: Polamalu says players should have a vote in rule changes

Legend

User Info Menu

Polamalu says players should have a vote in rule changes

Polamalu says players should have a vote in rule changes

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 29, 2013

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu says that if the NFL is going to keep passing rules designed to protect the players, the players should get a vote in those rules.

“There’s rule changes every year,” Polamalu said in an interview on SportsCenter. “I do wish, however, that the NFL did have a voice from the players’ side, whether it’s our players’ union president, or team captains, or our executive committee on the players’ side. Because we’re the guys that realize the risk, we’re the guys on the field.”

Polamalu made his statements within the context of a discussion of the new rule against delivering forcible blows with the top of the helmet outside the tackle box — a rule change that the Competition Committee did, in fact, ask for player input on before presenting the change to the owners, who approved it by a vote of 31-1. Polamalu said that while he’ll learn to live with the rule, he worries that the game is changing too much.

“We’re professional athletes, so we can adjust, but we grow up understanding instinctively how to play the game of football, and it’s really hard to say, ‘OK, eventually I’m not going to be able to use my head, or wrap with my arms’ or whatever it may be,” Polamalu said. “I think you can only do so much to the game before you really start to change the essence of our sport. Our sport is not made for anybody to be able to play it, especially at the NFL level, so there’s obviously some risk that we all take knowingly.”

In Polamalu’s view, there’s a point at which rules designed to make the game safer in reality just make the game softer.

“Football is a very physical sport, and a lot of what separates the good from the great [is] the ability to receive contact, to give contact, to overcome the mental block of injury when you have contact,” Polamalu said. “I understand that they want the sport to be safer but eventually you’re going to start to take away from the essence of this game and it’s not really going to be the football that we all love and have a passion for.”

And so Polamalu joins the list of players who respond to the rules designed to protect them by saying they don’t want to be protected.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/29/polamalu-says-players-should-have-a-vote-in-rule-changes/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

He's right. Football Dad needs to quit trying to protect everyone.

There's a reason why Troy makes $8 million and a plumber doesn't.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    He's right. Football Dad needs to quit trying to protect everyone.
    Football Dad's rule changes have very little to do with actual concern for player safety and a lot more to do with the owners' concerns that they will be liable in future lawsuits if they don't look like they're concerned about player safety.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Have them sign a waiver before they play sports, join a team and forget about all the attorneys.

I can't believe Troy was healthy enough to make a quote.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Have them sign a waiver before they play sports, join a team and forget about all the attorneys.

I can't believe Troy was healthy enough to make a quote.
    When was the last time a waiver ever stopped an attorney from pressing a liability claim?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It is a shame that a persons word or the written word is no longer honored.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Football Dad's rule changes have very little to do with actual concern for player safety and a lot more to do with the owners' concerns that they will be liable in future lawsuits if they don't look like they're concerned about player safety.
    Troy's point is valid. if the players union votes down certain rule changes related to safety, could not that be a basis for invalidating players suits?