Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Development, Not Drafting, Problem for Steelers in Tomlin Era

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Of course it's Tomlin. Can't blame the lawyer and the golf coach.
    lol. I bet Haley had a lot of to do with drafts considering he wasn't even a Steelers coach up until last year.

It's ok, by the time the Steelers fire Tomlin and possibly Colbert, Ben's career will be over.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why is the Redskins' owner writing articles about the Steelers' player development?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    lol. I bet Haley had a lot of to do with drafts considering he wasn't even a Steelers coach up until last year.

It's ok, by the time the Steelers fire Tomlin and possibly Colbert, Ben's career will be over.
    If you say so.

Stay tuned. This is just getting started.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Come on Crash say it already. Art 2 wants Haley as head coach What else? oh yea no extension for Ben. So who will be the next yinzer for defensive coach? Crash you are funny.

Legend

User Info Menu

spot on article

Backup

User Info Menu

I totally disagree with the article. It is the drafting IMHO. There is a reason Mendy dropped into the 20s and Sweed fell to the second round. Colbert said that they didn't do their homework on Mendy because they never expected him to be there. They didn't interview him or do a proper check on him. Bruce Davis was not a typical Steeler LBer. He was playing at 236 lbs. Also if coaching is the issue then why has none of these players done anything when they left? Davis has played for the pats* and the 49ers but still can't play. Sweed is so bad he is playing in Canada. He can't even get on an NFL roster. So I don't see a coaching issue here. I see a huge drafting issue.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    Only 8 of 33 drafted remain? That seems horrid. I wonder how that compares to the rest of the league?
    EXACTLY... HOWEVER, i did see another article that mentioned best drafting teams that factored in starters, pro bowls, all pro and super bowls... Read this clip - it's pretty clear the problem is RETENTION, and the article above is not very well thought out.

What makes the Steelers such a quality team in the draft is that they have great success at finding starting-level talent. They've drafted 25 starters in the league, with 19 of those starters coming in the earlier rounds. Those 19 starters drafted between rounds one and four are tied for the second-most of in the NFL.

Simply put, Pittsburgh knows how to find players who can come in pretty quickly and provide solid production. It's a huge reason why they've been such a consistent team over the past decade.
    [URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1579957-who-is-the-best-drafting-team-in-the-nfl#/articles/1579957-who-is-the-best-drafting-team-in-the-nfl/page/5[/URL]
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I totally disagree with the article. It is the drafting IMHO. There is a reason Mendy dropped into the 20s and Sweed fell to the second round. Colbert said that they didn't do their homework on Mendy because they never expected him to be there. They didn't interview him or do a proper check on him. Bruce Davis was not a typical Steeler LBer. He was playing at 236 lbs. Also if coaching is the issue then why has none of these players done anything when they left? Davis has played for the pats* and the 49ers but still can't play. Sweed is so bad he is playing in Canada. He can't even get on an NFL roster. So I don't see a coaching issue here. I see a huge drafting issue.
    again, read the post above... it happens everywhere... the steelers are actually pretty well above average when it comes to finding players...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

2010....12-4

2011....12-4

2012..... Injuries, Mistakes, dropped passes, Lack of run game, limited pressure on opposing QB's, INT's at critical times, 21st.ranked offense = 8-8.

2013.....get that 21st rated offense fixed, it could help in a big way.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    again, read the post above... it happens everywhere... the steelers are actually pretty well above average when it comes to finding players...
    I read the article and it uses players like Troy and Ben who were drafted before Tomlin. Also did you read the article? Here is what it says:

The Steelers have only drafted nine Pro Bowl players, including two between rounds five and seven. However, even more surprising is that Pittsburgh has only drafted four All-Pro players. Only 16 teams had fewer All-Pro players than the Steelers, despite Pittsburgh having above-average success in recent years.
    So obviously they agree with me. They are getting the most out of their players but are drafting average players. What is really happening is that the STeelers have had a core group of very good players (Ben, Troy, Ward, Smith, Ike etc.) and now they are older and the current administration hasn't been able to replace them.