Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    If they are truly equal, I take Ertz. The tiebreaker?.... gotta have a lot of smarts to go to Stanford.

Notre Dame also has high academic standards....

Legend

User Info Menu

Ok, Chadman watched both sets of 'highlights'. Question for all Eifert/Ertz protagonists- if ou want a tall WR, why not draft one instead of a TE. Chadman only asks this because, FO both players, their highlight reel plays all come when they are either play h- back or are split out and playing WR- particularly in Eifert's case. Neither of these guys is going to make anyone forget th TE play of Heth Miller, who I equally useful in the running game.

If ou just want a guy that can highpoint a ball in the air, draft Justin Hunter and be done with it.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

As for the TE's in this years class, both Jordan Reed and Mychel Rivera look capable of giving similar play to the top 2 TE's without the 1st round draft grade.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Actually- would be interested to see if the Steelers show any interest in former Pitt Panther Mike Shanahan- probably will go undrafted, but if they could stash him for a year on PS, he might become something down the line. Moves well for a 240lb guy and is a former basketball player.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Ok, Chadman watched both sets of 'highlights'. Question for all Eifert/Ertz protagonists- if ou want a tall WR, why not draft one instead of a TE. Chadman only asks this because, FO both players, their highlight reel plays all come when they are either play h- back or are split out and playing WR- particularly in Eifert's case. Neither of these guys is going to make anyone forget th TE play of Heth Miller, who I equally useful in the running game.

If ou just want a guy that can highpoint a ball in the air, draft Justin Hunter and be done with it.

It's not just about highpoint a ball in the air, it' about consistency something Eifert has catching the ball anywhere. I'm not sure Hunter or any of the other receivers have consistency in that regard.
    bTW, why should we settle for second fiddle when he's the best TE in the draft.

His production or talent isn't the issue, some fans just don't want a TE in round one but remember we drafted Heath in that same round.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 03-30-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

heath was picked 31st.

I'm not convinced eifert is worth 1:17. This offense could use some explosiveness. Eifert doesn't bring that, while a prospect like cordarelle patterson does and could very well excel in haleys offense that gets the ball into the hands of the WR quickly.

it won't be the end of the world if we don't wind up with eifert as it seems some here believe.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    heath was picked 31st.

I'm not convinced eifert is worth 1:17. This offense could use some explosiveness. Eifert doesn't bring that, while a prospect like cordarelle patterson does and could very well excel in haleys offense that gets the ball into the hands of the WR quickly.

it won't be the end of the world if we don't wind up with eifert as it seems some here believe.

No it won't be the end of the world if we pass on Eifert, but he would fit in Haley's offense just as much as a WR. Heath was second in receptions last season and second in scoring, like Eifert you could depend on him to make that catch to move the chains. Just because someone is fast doesn't make him an all world receiver, catching the ball and good route running supercedes speed, if you can't be consistent in those area's what good is the speed?

Patterson most likely will be picked before we select and as I said in the past the Steelers most likely won't pick Eifert anyway so no worries for those who prefer another position. Personally I would rather have a top CB in round one and hope a player like Eifert would drop to round two which won't happen, he might get picked before we select so it won't matter much.

Looking at our offense, I believe Heath Miller was the most consistent player since he's been here on two fronts, reliable pass catcher and scoring. I would think having two Heath Miller type players could be a benefit to our offense, now if there is a WR out there who can make that critical catch and score I'm not opposed to that either, consistency matters in my book.

Btw, A Trufant or Rhodes at CB would be an appealing pick to most Steelers fans, think we could have common ground with a pick like that?
    Last edited by supersteeler; 03-31-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    No it won't be the end of the world if we pass on Eifert, but he would fit in Haley's offense just as much as a WR. Heath was second in receptions last season and second in scoring, like Eifert you could depend on him to make that catch to move the chains. Just because someone is fast doesn't make him an all world receiver, catching the ball and good route running supercedes speed, if you can't be consistent in those area's what good is the speed?

Patterson most likely will be picked before we select and as I said in the past the Steelers most likely won't pick Eifert anyway so no worries for those who prefer another position. Personally I would rather have a top CB in round one and hope a player like Eifert would drop to round two which won't happen, he might get picked before we select so it won't matter much.

Looking at our offense, I believe Heath Miller was the most consistent player since he's been here on two fronts, reliable pass catcher and scoring. I would think having two Heath Miller type players could be a benefit to our offense, now if there is a WR out there who can make that critical catch and score I'm not opposed to that either, consistency matters in my book.

Btw, A Trufant or Rhodes at CB would be an appealing pick to most Steelers fans, think we could have common ground with a pick like that?
    Plus Eifert would be more of a weapon in the Red Zone which is what everyone complains about this offense lacking the most in. Down close like that he would be a better option than another speedy, run after the catch WR.

I fully endorse picking up Pitt's Shanahan as a undrafted FA. There is something there that we could build on.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

There was an argument put forward about drafting a 1st round NT & why, given that Hampton played less snaps than the #3 CB last season, it would be a bad investment of a 1st round pick.

How many catches were made by the #2 TE last season under Haley?

Does that justify a 1st round selection?

It's funny that posters are now believing that Haley is a big user of 2 TE's. Haley also incorporates a FB. Arians NEVER used a FB, and just about ALWAYS used 2 TE's, yet there was very rarely a call out for the Steelers to draft a TE while Arians was here. Haley's use of a 2nd TE is vastly over stated.

Funny.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    It's not just about highpoint a ball in the air, it' about consistency something Eifert has catching the ball anywhere. I'm not sure Hunter or any of the other receivers have consistency in that regard.
    bTW, why should we settle for second fiddle when he's the best TE in the draft.

His production or talent isn't the issue, some fans just don't want a TE in round one but remember we drafted Heath in that same round.
    Would have no trouble drafting a TE if the Steelers used a base 2 TE set.

But they don't. Haley uses a FB, something most posters screamed for while Arians was here. Drafting a 1st round TE to get used sparingly seems an unwise investment.

One argument in favour of drafting Eifert is that he'd be a danger in the End Zone. So, as Chadman mentioned- if you just want a WR that can high point a ball (in the end zone), why not just draft Justin Hunter in Round 2. Here's betting the #3 WR for the Steelers has more catches, and more targets, than the #2 TE.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE