Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    as they should. just move on and don't repeat the aaron smith debacle that lingered for three years
    I'm curious as to why you think that is an apples to apples comparison? Aside from age, as the season ended Harrison was a productive member of the team and not in the training room. By the time Smith was gone he was also not the best at his position on the team anymore even if he were healthy. Harrison still would be.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I have no problem drafting Eifert if we could get more value and move back & pick up a 3rd. Early to mid 20's should do it. There is no reason to think that 1st round TE or early round TE isn't on the radar..
    If we trade back, I think the NY Giants pick him to replace their departed TE Martellus Bennett
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If a primo pass rusher isn't available when we pick then I would love to see us take the TE from ND. I think he could be used as a great red zone weapon and if he forces the defense to move up it allows Brown and Sanders more room to go deep. Just look what the TE has been doing for Indy with Dallas Clark, Dallas with Witten, SD with Gates, NO with Graham, and Gronk/Hernandez with NE. It would be a great weapon for Ben to have.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Perhaps the Spaeth add-on was just some smoke and mirrors. Letting others to believe that the Steelers aren't shopping for a TE in the draft... I'm on board with picking Eifert at #17. I wouldn't be upset if they drafted Tavon Austin either.

I have this feeling that Harrison is gonna come back to the B&G later on, thus making OLB not such a priority this year......
    The Spaeth signing does not have to be smoke and mirrors. He is on the cap for under a mil next year. He is perfectly suited for the second or third TE spot. That is why it is crazy when fans overreact to signings such as that one.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think this pick makes so much sense. Cap wise it will work very well. By the time Eifert is ready for a payday Miller will be done or stay for cheap. Also Miller may come back and not be as good as he once was. Good to have his replacement now. Ben seems to do better when the TE plays well. He is the BPA at his positon at 17. Is there any other position that can be said for? No need to reach for a WR. Keep picking in the 3 or 4 and get a good enough one or it could work out like Wallace an be much better then his draft pick. Plus it should make Ben happy to have another weapon. Plus Eifert should have no problem in camp being the #1 TE with Miller out and #2 when he returns. Cut Speath when Miller is healthy or drop another player to the practice squad. Paulson should be ok on special teams to stick as the #3. Just seems to fit the steelers perfect right now.

Which is better on paper? Would it be better to pick rd 1 TE and 3rd/4rd WR or 1st rd WR and 3rd/4th TE? I think we have enough TE's that are 3rd or 4th types. I guess the same could be said for WR. But there are more questions for the draftable WR in the 1st then TE I think.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I think this pick makes so much sense. Cap wise it will work very well. By the time Eifert is ready for a payday Miller will be done or stay for cheap. Also Miller may come back and not be as good as he once was. Good to have his replacement now. Ben seems to do better when the TE plays well. He is the BPA at his positon at 17. Is there any other position that can be said for? No need to reach for a WR. Keep picking in the 3 or 4 and get a good enough one or it could work out like Wallace an be much better then his draft pick. Plus it should make Ben happy to have another weapon. Plus Eifert should have no problem in camp being the #1 TE with Miller out and #2 when he returns. Cut Speath when Miller is healthy or drop another player to the practice squad. Paulson should be ok on special teams to stick as the #3. Just seems to fit the steelers perfect right now.

Which is better on paper? Would it be better to pick rd 1 TE and 3rd/4rd WR or 1st rd WR and 3rd/4th TE? I think we have enough TE's that are 3rd or 4th types. I guess the same could be said for WR. But there are more questions for the draftable WR in the 1st then TE I think.
    Good point on the financials. Eifert and Ertz are both low risk imo. But both are mid to late first round picks by many. If I had to go with a sure fire WR it would be Quinton Patton but again he seems like a late first rounder, early second. Depends where Colbert thinks he can get the value if he decides to remain put or trade down.
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    ...which was never said about Matt Jones...
    by people posting, it absolutely was... just as it's being said with Eifert
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Some fans have other positions in mind for round one and there is nothing wrong with that, but for me and only my opinion, Eifert is the playmaker we need on this offense.
    If there I would hate to pass on him unless someone can convince me a better playmaker could be there at another position. We have to find an edge somewhere on offense, getting a good back or WR gives us more tools but I want that edge to be able to compete with the better teams.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would be very happy if we got Eifert in round one, but I can't say the same for Jones. I think Eifert is more of a sure thing for overall impact. I'm not saying he's going to be the second coming of Witten. Maybe some are but there's no denying he has what it takes to perform at a high level in the pros for a long time. I can't pinpoint anything with Jones but I don't like him for whatever reason. (Just using him, since he's in your mock). The recent draft history may make me leary of certain players, but I feel no hesitation with Eifert. Nor do I with Desmond Trufant who I have in my mock. If Jones comes out and kills it, cool, I'm wrong. Pitts. hasn't taken an OLB in the first for a reason and they know better than I do. Maybe this year they do. I, more than anything, just want the 1st rd pick to be killer.
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't think the drop off from Eifert to Ertz is that wide...

I would pick Ertz up in the second.
    personally...I think Ertz looks like the more natural TE.
    Trolls are people too.