Thread: S Will Allen sign with the Dallas Cowboys

Legend

User Info Menu

S Will Allen sign with the Dallas Cowboys

Justin Durant, Will Allen sign with Dallas Cowboys

By Gregg Rosenthal
    Around The League Editor
    Published: March 27, 2013

The Dallas Cowboys signed former Detroit Lions linebacker Justin Durant and ex-Pittsburgh Steelers safety Will Allen on Wednesday after completing moves to make space under the salary cap.

To facilitate the signings, the Cowboys restructured backup quarterback Kyle Orton's contract and released wide receiver Anthony Armstrong, the team announced.

Free-agent safety Michael Huff will not be an option for the Cowboys since he agreed in principle to a three-year, $6 million contract with the Ravens on Wednesday, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported. Fullback Lawrence Vickers is a candidate to be released.

There were open questions Tuesday about whether the Cowboys should be allowed to "agree" to contracts when they don't have enough cap space to sign anyone. It appears those issues are no longer relevant in the wake of the Cowboys' signings.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154220/article/will-allen-justin-durant-joining-dallas-cowboys[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

This is yet another big loss to an already thin secondary. Will Allen had a solid year last year when he stepped in for Troy. If we can sign A. Bradshaw and keep Sanders, maybe the FO will go after a safety and ILB in the first few rounds. I guess I shouldn't underestimate the ability of Carnell Lake to coach up those younger guys who are already on the roster... because he's been a huge help to the secondary.
    Would be nice to bring in some new talent to eventually replace Troy, Clark, Ike... and add some immediate depth.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Will Allen was serviceable last year. Time to move on, get younger. I suspect a safety to drafted by the Steelers in early rounds. And Golden to show growth.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Will Allen was serviceable last year. Time to move on, get younger. I suspect a safety to drafted by the Steelers in early rounds. And Golden to show growth.
    I agree with getting younger... my thing is... I'm sure we could have signed him for a very reasonable wage.. and had a proven starter for WHEN Troy goes down. Now we have Golden as the starter for at least half the year...and/or a possible rookie (and guys off of the practice squad) as the only depth. Signing Allen for another year would have bridged the gap... allowing the backups more time to develop... while getting limited snaps as well.
    Last edited by Big Ern McCracken; 03-27-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm a lebeau guy, but somebody has to answer for the safety situation. The lack of depth and seeming lack of plan at this point is not good. There was ample opportunity to groom some kind of quality replacement for troy or clark.

I'm all for safeties back to back in the 2nd and 3rd if the right guys are there.

Backup

User Info Menu

Agreed... especially if we can sign sanders and bradshaw. I wouldn't mind seeing Linebacker, Safety, Safety with first three picks. I hear the draft is deep with safeties this year, so maybe we could pick up a TE in the 2nd or 3rd and still pick up a 2nd safety in the mid rounds.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Big Ern McCracken;556453]I agree with getting younger... my thing is... I'm sure we could have signed him for a very reasonable wage.. and had a proven starter for WHEN Troy goes down. Now we have Golden as the starter for at least half the year...and/or a possible rookie (and guys off of the practice squad) as the only depth. Signing Allen for another year would have bridged the gap... allowing the backups more time to develop... while getting limited snaps as well.Yes, it could get dicey unless Golden shows. I suspect they see something in him. Also, I am thinking we will jump on a safety or two, beat the uglr birds to the better safety or two in this draft. Do the rats even have an experienced safety on their roster?

Legend

User Info Menu

Well there goes our much needed backup safety. This team is getting thin everywhere.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=DukieBoy;556460]
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    I agree with getting younger... my thing is... I'm sure we could have signed him for a very reasonable wage.. and had a proven starter for WHEN Troy goes down. Now we have Golden as the starter for at least half the year...and/or a possible rookie (and guys off of the practice squad) as the only depth. Signing Allen for another year would have bridged the gap... allowing the backups more time to develop... while getting limited snaps as well.Yes, it could get dicey unless Golden shows. I suspect they see something in him. Also, I am thinking we will jump on a safety or two, beat the uglr birds to the better safety or two in this draft. Do the rats even have an experienced safety on their roster?
    The ravens signed michael huff from the raiders. [URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154242/article/michael-huff-baltimore-ravens-reach-3year-contract[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would have kept Allen over the always injured and rapidly aging Troy.. When they thought Mundy was their player of the future......... a lot was said about the people that evaluate these players.