Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Today is the day that changes the NFL Draft for all teams!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Arm strength was a concern BEFORE the injury...

His accuracy in the 15 to 30 range is sketchy as well...

He is best suited for a West Coast offense... he won't be a star though...

I think I'm the only one to use USC and star QB in the same sentence.

Show me a report from this time last year questioning his arm strength. How do many experts (this time last year), call him the number one overall QB for 2013 and possibly the number one overall pick with questionable arm strength? Makes no sense. The arm strength issue came up this year. And he got hurt. Shoulder.

His 64.1% 4 year completion percentage says that you are not correct in his accuracy from 15-30 yards. Remember he started as a true freshman.

But you really dont know much about him and we know this.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

so it's all game tape with Te'o... and all combine with Barkley? Gotcha...
    Are you kidding me? We are talking about an arm/shoulder injury for a QB. The work out is very important for him. But hey...go to the tape on Barkley for all 4 years. What do you see?

You lose.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dirty handed the ball off 90% of the time his first 3 years and anytime he had to wing it he failed. The only play he can run is the play action post... anything else is a toss up.

That dude sucks so bad.. why would you even use him as a measuring stick? Ugh..
    I said Barkley was far superior to Sanchez. Did you not read that? And the only reason I mentioned Sanchez is because of uninformed posters like you have made that compassion based on them playing at the same school. And that is pretty intelligent.

Legend

User Info Menu

In a comparison with Luck in 2011

[url]http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/story/_/id/7150631/stanford-andrew-luck-vs-usc-matt-barkley-tale-tape[/url]

Accuracy
    Barkley (2): He's very accurate in short to intermediate throws. He has good touch on the ball in shallow crosses and slants and allows the receiver to maximize yards after the catch. He delivers accurate balls when his feet aren't set. He needs big improvement on deep balls. He doesn't put enough touch on it. You don't know how strong overall his arm is, so he needs to drive a lot of balls to get distance. He can't really float it and let the receiver adjust to it. He's very accurate on the move outside the pocket rolling right and left.

Arm Strength
    Barkley (3): This is Barkley's downfall, where we have him rated the lowest. He has the ability to change release points, but his arm strength is adequate to maybe slightly above average. He doesn't have the prototypical ability to drive the ball downfield, like Joe Flacco or Landry Jones. His deep ball tends to hang up there. He's a guy we believe is a West Coast system-type guy.

One of the biggest marks against USC quarterback prospect Matt Barkley has been his lack of arm strength. That is why many draft pundits scattered across the web have put a low grade on him, doubting that he gets drafted in the first round. He has shown that he likes to check the ball down far too often and can't get enough velocity under his throw for the deep ball.
    Those concerns were only made greater after Barkley injured his throwing shoulder towards the latter end of last season. Because of the injury, he was not able to throw at the NFL Combine. Instead, he continues to rehab it and hopes to throw at his Pro Day at USC. And when he does, he says that his arm will be even stronger than it was before.

There are tons of stories on his average arm strength BEFORE the injury. It's always been a concern.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I said Barkley was far superior to Sanchez. Did you not read that? And the only reason I mentioned Sanchez is because of uninformed posters like you have made that compassion based on them playing at the same school. And that is pretty intelligent.
    I don't think I've ever compared these 2... I may have said all USC QB's suck but c'mon... no one uses Sanchez as anything more than a prime example of a USC bum.

Legend

User Info Menu

and another one..

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000098453/article/matt-barkley-doesnt-resemble-elite-quarterback-prospect-in-2012[/url]

Now, it is important to note that Barkley was not a lock to be a top-10 pick a season ago. In fact, scouts told me last spring that Barkley wasn't a cinch to be the third quarterback in the 2012 draft class, despite having a more impressive collegiate résumé than Texas A&M's [URL="http://www.nfl.com/player/ryantannehill/2532956/profile"]Ryan Tannehill[/URL] (who went to the [URL="http://www.nfl.com/teams/miamidolphins/profile?team=MIA"]Miami Dolphins[/URL] with the eighth overall pick) and Oklahoma State's [URL="http://www.nfl.com/player/brandonweeden/2532970/profile"]Brandon Weeden[/URL] (drafted by the [URL="http://www.nfl.com/teams/clevelandbrowns/profile?team=CLE"]Cleveland Browns[/URL] at 22nd overall). Evaluators cited Barkley's lack of elite physical tools (height, arm talent and athleticism) as major concerns. Although Barkley was listed at 6-foot-2, 230 pounds, scouts questioned whether he was tall enough to play the position at the next level, and worried that his lack of athleticism would make him a sitting duck in the pocket

Scouts also worried about Barkley's lack of elite arm strength. Although he displayed the capacity to make short and intermediate throws with zip and velocity, he didn't blow evaluators away with his deep-ball range, accuracy or touch. Barkley routinely underthrew his receivers on vertical throws, relying on Marqise Lee and Robert Woods to make plays on the ball. Both playmakers are regarded as future elite NFL prospects; some wonder if Barkley's production is a byproduct of their remarkable skills.

Barkley is a classic drop-back passer with sound throwing mechanics and a smooth delivery. He shows a compact windup and an over-the-top throwing motion with a quick release. Barkley displays good (but not great) arm strength on intermediate and deep throws. Although his balls tend to flutter on out-breaking routes that are longer than 15 yards, he shows adequate zip and velocity on his throws. Barkley can certainly fit balls into tight windows on intermediate throws inside the numbers, but he lacks the overpowering arm strength to complete the deep comeback from the opposite hash on a rope against tight coverage. The exceptional speed and quickness of NFL defensive backs will result in break-ups or interceptions, unless Barkley shows extraordinary timing and anticipation, releasing the ball well before the receiver comes out of his break.
    On deep throws, Barkley shows a throwing range of about 50 to 55 yards. He has routinely connected with Lee and Nelson Agholor on vertical routes down the field. While most of those completions have resulted from his exceptional timing and anticipation, Barkley has shown the arm strength to throw the ball over the top of the defense when defenders squat on routes. This was particularly evident against Oregon on Nov. 3, when he connected on 75- and 76-yard touchdowns on deep post routes to Lee and Agholor, respectively. In my mind, these throws certainly squelched some of the concern about his deep-ball ability. However, the fallout from "Inflate Gate" could alter that opinion. (A USC ball boy was reprimanded following that game for deflating footballs, which he later admitted to doing; the use of underinflated balls makes it easier for quarterbacks to throw the ball down the field with greater zip and velocity.)

Legend

User Info Menu

Dub, I hope that you are right. If Barkley moves up, that will knock somebody else back for the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If a pro-day for a QB changes the draft, then that team is an idiot. Teams aren't going to change their opinion about Barkley based on a pro-day, especially where the QB is throwing in shorts to his receivers.

The tape is the basis for QB evaluation. If a team liked his tape, they still do regardless of what he does today. The medical eval is the main thing for him.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

In a comparison with Luck in 2011

[URL]http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/story/_/id/7150631/stanford-andrew-luck-vs-usc-matt-barkley-tale-tape[/URL]

Accuracy
    Barkley (2): He's very accurate in short to intermediate throws. He has good touch on the ball in shallow crosses and slants and allows the receiver to maximize yards after the catch. He delivers accurate balls when his feet aren't set. He needs big improvement on deep balls. He doesn't put enough touch on it. You don't know how strong overall his arm is, so he needs to drive a lot of balls to get distance. He can't really float it and let the receiver adjust to it. He's very accurate on the move outside the pocket rolling right and left.

Arm Strength
    Barkley (3): This is Barkley's downfall, where we have him rated the lowest. He has the ability to change release points, but his arm strength is adequate to maybe slightly above average. He doesn't have the prototypical ability to drive the ball downfield, like Joe Flacco or Landry Jones. His deep ball tends to hang up there. He's a guy we believe is a West Coast system-type guy.

One of the biggest marks against USC quarterback prospect Matt Barkley has been his lack of arm strength. That is why many draft pundits scattered across the web have put a low grade on him, doubting that he gets drafted in the first round. He has shown that he likes to check the ball down far too often and can't get enough velocity under his throw for the deep ball.
    Those concerns were only made greater after Barkley injured his throwing shoulder towards the latter end of last season. Because of the injury, he was not able to throw at the NFL Combine. Instead, he continues to rehab it and hopes to throw at his Pro Day at USC. And when he does, he says that his arm will be even stronger than it was before.

There are tons of stories on his average arm strength BEFORE the injury. It's always been a concern.
    feltdizz, talking to you about something you really dont know much about is silly. You dont even stay on topic. The issue has been that Barkley has below average arm strength. You have shown me a report from last year that says he has adequate to slightly above average arm strength. Then you hi-light the injury last years as something that contributed to it?.......Duh!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    If a pro-day for a QB changes the draft, then that team is an idiot. Teams aren't going to change their opinion about Barkley based on a pro-day, especially where the QB is throwing in shorts to his receivers.

The tape is the basis for QB evaluation. If a team liked his tape, they still do regardless of what he does today. The medical eval is the main thing for him.
    I dont think this is the same here. We are talking about a QB who had a shoulder injury. Apples to Oranges. Did scouts like his tape last year? You bet they did.