Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team concerns and what area's are relevant for the Steelers to imrove in 2013

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Team concerns and what area's are relevant for the Steelers to imrove in 2013

We could use help in various positions through the draft, but what part of the team do you think is important and must be addressed for a successful 2013 season?

1. Protection up front for Ben is critical in my mind, we can't afford for him to miss games like in the past and expect to be a playoff contender. As it stands now the LT position is in question, Starks isn't here and the projected starter for now is Gilbert. Implementing a zone blocking scheme may help Gilbert in the transition and the rest of the line but it's up in the air until we see them actually play.

2. Pressuring the QB. Our front seven must improve in their production as we seen that unit struggle getting sacks and even making the QB hurry his throws. Having them play well should help in creating turnovers not only up front but for our secondary which may be the stronger part of our defense now. I believe a healthyWoodley will make a difference and not that concerned about Worlids or our LB corps as a whole. My concern is our D-line, outside of Keisel we need better and consistent play up front or this defense will continue to struggle getting pressure and could have issue stopping the run.

3. Our Run game:

In the past when you had a runner reach a thousand yards that was a big deal, now days we see teams with backs gainging much more. Our top performer was Dwyer with a little over 600 yrds. He sure isn't Adrian Peterson who gets that much in four games but we don't expect him to be AD. What we need is a feature back who can carry the load but moreso be consistent especially when we need to convert third downs and moving the chains. A strong run game takes some of the pressure off Ben so he doesn't have to rely just on the pass to move the chains.

Please feel free to add your concerns or suggestions.

Legend

User Info Menu

4. Receivers. We need sure-handed targets for Ben who can get open, and can get in the end zone with the ball.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You guys are both right!

However..no: Wide Receivers, Quarterbacks or Running backs in the first round!

I do have faith that Gilbert will become better in the new zone blocking scheme they'll be in. John Simon would help out if he'll still be there for our second round pick (still not so sure about Worilds) and if we can sign a healthy Bradshaw, take a running back later in the draft..a la Lattimore (if he can't go, let him heal for the year and give him a try next year). Bailey in the 3rd will be just fine.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Rookie

User Info Menu

If OL (specifically LT) is a question mark, how exactly does adding another question mark in the draft fix that?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If OL (specifically LT) is a question mark, how exactly does adding another question mark in the draft fix that?

LT is in question now only because we haven't seen Gilbert play that position under the new blocking system, and didn't see enough even in the prior system as Starks was playing LT and him at RT before his injury. He may turn out to be just as good or better than Starks we just don't know that yet.
    These matters will be settled in training camp and might go into the pre-season to determine who best can fill that position.

As for the draft most of the top LT's will be gone by the time we pick so if we pick one at all it probably will be later in the rounds to provide depth. Basically we have to rely on what we have as the Steelers did invest in our O-line, as other positions most likely will be addressed in the early rounds.

Last year we drafted Beachum, while he's not a world beater he did get playing time and made contributions. With a year under his belt he adds depth to the position at guard and in a pinch could play the tackle position. He was a sixth round pick I believe so you can get unexpected help even in the later rounds.

Legend

User Info Menu

Right now, with no Casey Hampton and no James Harrison, the run defense is going to be a concern. McClendon struggles against the run, and Worilds is no Harrison.

As mentioned above, the lack of offensive weapons is a concern. There is no real deep threat that scares a defense, nor is there a credible threat in the running game.

The defense needs to get more pressure, which should help the turnover issue. Woodley is a big part of that - if he plays like an elite OLB, good things can happen. If he is single blocked by mediocre right tackles and unable to get pressure, the Steelers are in trouble on the field and in dealing with his cap hit.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Don't be too concerned over this so-called 'new ZBS' they are said to be running. Every OLman has learned to zone block since they were in pee wee leagues. Heck, they all zone block and man block in every game anyways. Depending on the play. Nothing really new here. Gilbert will be just fine at his natural LT position.

Again, the way BB plays, you could have an all-world OL in front of him and he'll take the sacks. Just something we gotta live with and it doesn't bother me like it must bother some of you. Both of his last 2 injuries were NOT because of the OL. He stood in there to make a play and got hurt. It happens.

Offense- I would say we need a playmaker- like a Tavon Austin. Defense- ditto- a playmaker....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Don't be too concerned over this so-called 'new ZBS' they are said to be running. Every OLman has learned to zone block since they were in pee wee leagues. Heck, they all zone block and man block in every game anyways. Depending on the play. Nothing really new here. Gilbert will be just fine at his natural LT position.

Again, the way BB plays, you could have an all-world OL in front of him and he'll take the sacks. Just something we gotta live with and it doesn't bother me like it must bother some of you. Both of his last 2 injuries were NOT because of the OL. He stood in there to make a play and got hurt. It happens.

Offense- I would say we need a playmaker- like a Tavon Austin. Defense- ditto- a playmaker....
    I'm not as confident in Gilbert as you are, but I agree with your point about Ben's sacks...and because of that, I think the Steelers may be done making major moves on the OL in the draft for awhile. I also agree with the need for playmakers on both O and D.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post

This. Think of the hit that injured him last year. Other than the fact that 600 plus pounds fell on him, it didnt look like it was something that would have injured him as severely as it did. We have seen him get absolutely get blasted a zillion times and get up. He is always going to be susceptible to injury due to the way he plays. My concern about our oline is that we have no depth. Our running game was clicking as was the offense (last season) until the injury bug hit.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I hope they improve upon some intangibles as well. There were a lot of special teams penalties that hurt us in the field of position battle. Hopefully the new ST coach rectifies that. The same with the WR coach in helping lessen the dropped balls next year. Richard Mann seems like he is a technical coach from what I've read so I hope he can get the focus corrected.
    I think Haley can and will expand upon the playbook this year. None of these are glaring except the ST penalties, so I hope they can be significantly better for 2013.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska