Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the 'burgh media whispering that Colbert should go?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Are the 'burgh media whispering that Colbert should go?

Surprised I haven't seen articles to that effect ... what are the sports radio stations saying?

Maybe he just needs a pair of gray sweats!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Backup

User Info Menu

Colbert gets a pass there. He's a Yinzer.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    A pass for what? Being a key architect of 3 Super Bowl appearances? He would be unemployed for about 2 minutes.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    A pass for what? Being a key architect of 3 Super Bowl appearances? He would be unemployed for about 2 minutes.
    I didn't say he shouldn't be there. But the drafting lately has been poor for this team.

33 picks from 2006-2009 drafts. Only 6 players remain.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I didn't say he shouldn't be there. But the drafting lately has been poor for this team.

and at least 7 more will be contributing players to a high degree somewhere else in the NFL.

That's not bad drafting, that's the results of extended success pushing a team up against the salary cap.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    and at least 7 more will be contributing players to a high degree somewhere else in the NFL.

That's not bad drafting, that's the results of extended success pushing a team up against the salary cap.
    Another by-product of extended success is that there are fewer spots available either in the starting lineup or the 45 man gameday roster.

One question I also have is this: Over the last 10 years, how many teams have had as much success bringing in UDFAs as the Steelers? This has been a huge key to success as they come in very cheap and if they contribute, they allow you to spend money elsewhere.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I thought 2009 was an excellent draft, unfortunately we didn't keep two players who panned out from that draft.

I agree that it has been more miss than hit lately. I think last year's draft will end up being considered a good one.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I thought 2009 was an excellent draft, unfortunately we didn't keep two players who panned out from that draft.

I agree that it has been more miss than hit lately. I think last year's draft will end up being considered a good one.
    The best players from the 2009 class are probably Wallace, Lewis, Urbik and Ziggy Hood, in that order. Unfortunately, Ziggy is the only guy left with the Steelers. 2010 yielded Pouncey, Brown, Sanders and Worilds. And Dwyer.

The 2008 draft really hurts.

The drafts recently have been ok, but could have been better. One big decline for the Steelers has been in the mid rounds. Guys like Haggans, Porter, Aaron Smith, Deshea Townsend, Larry Foote and Hines Ward were all mid-round picks. Recently, the Steelers have not been as successful in pulling starters from the middle rounds. Add to that, the Steelers have used first round picks on non-premium positions on guys who have not yet been elite. Hood, Heyward and DD. I still hold out hope for DD, but Ziggy Hood is just a guy. If you are going to draft a guy at a non-premium position, he needs to be absolutely dominant, and Ziggy Hood is not. Though not an immeidate need, Hood was a need pick in the sense that a successor for Smith was going to be needed, and Orien Harris and Ryan McBean ended up as consecutive 4th round busts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ligashesky was the ultimate Yinzer and he did not get a pass from anybody.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pgh media treads lightly regarding the Steelers. Only Steelers I have seen the Pgh media get after are Ben, Wallace, and Mendy that I can recall.
    @_Hellgrammite