Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers GM Might See Harrison Clone in John Simon

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers GM Might See Harrison Clone in John Simon

NFLDraftScout.com
    Pro Days: Steelers' GM might see Harrison clone in Buckeyes' Simon
    By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.comMarch 25, 2013 6:54 pm ET While the Baltimore Ravens filled their need for another pass rusher by signing veteran Elvis Dumervil over the weekend, the Pittsburgh Steelers might be targeting a rookie to help take the place of five-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker James Harrison, who the team released two weeks ago in a cost-cutting move.

Reports have surfaced that the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year might be willing to return to Pittsburgh, but general manager Kevin Colbert has never been one to wait for replacement options and, judging by his appearance Monday at a private workout for Ohio State pass rusher John Simon, Harrison may have waited too long.

Colbert was the headliner among representatives from 12 teams at Simon's workout, according to a report from NFL.com's Gil Brandt.

The 6-1, 257-pound Simon starred as a defensive end for the Buckeyes but will likely have to make the transition to outside linebacker in the NFL at this size. He struggled when asked to do so in Mobile, Ala., during Senior Bowl practices before succumbing to a shoulder injury that kept him sidelined at the combine and during Ohio State's originally scheduled Pro Day, March 8.

Despite being hampered by a knee injury that limited him to just 11 games in 2012, Simon was named the Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year with 44 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss and a career-high nine sacks. On more than one occasion, the high-effort Simon was characterized by Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer as the "heart and soul" of the team.

Simon demonstrated enough athleticism during his drills Monday to reassure scouts from 3-4 clubs of his ability to pressure the quarterback as a stand-up rusher. He was clocked between 4.62 and 4.70 in the 40-yard dash and posted times of 4.42 seconds in the short shuttle and 7.10 in the three-cone drill. These times are in line with some of the other intriguing "second-tier" hybrid edge rushers of the 2013 draft class, like Auburn's Corey Lemonier and Southern Mississippi's Jamie Collins, among others.

Sporting similarly compact builds, as well as burst and power, Simon and the 6-0, 242-pound Harrison have a lot of similarities in the way that they wreak havoc off the edge.

If healthy, Simon could prove to be an immediate impact defender likely to be available in the second to third round.

Legend

User Info Menu

How does he struggle making the transition in the Senior Bowl and then suddenly make a smooth transition in Lebeau's complex system and become an immediate impact player?

Anyone know what round we'd consider him? Sounds to me like he'd be a long term project. Just wonder where the line is on risk reward?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    How does he struggle making the transition in the Senior Bowl and then suddenly make a smooth transition in Lebeau's complex system and become an immediate impact player?

Anyone know what round we'd consider him? Sounds to me like he'd be a long term project. Just wonder where the line is on risk reward?
    You mean, he struggled after a WHOLE WEEK of Senior Bowl practices?

Clearly, not worth drafting on the 2nd or third day...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He would probably have to be our 2nd round pick to land him for sure. Colbert will probably put a first round grade on him, our scouts say he is the LB that best fits our system, then Tomlin will overrule them all and take some obscure LB that would be there in the 3rd.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No thanks. Not interested. I don't think there's a Buckeye I'd want this year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I noticed after I posted this thread it was already posted by Hawaiian, sorry about that.
    Anyway I'm not thrilled with this guy either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I noticed after I posted this thread it was already posted by Hawaiian, sorry about that.
    Anyway I'm not thrilled with this guy either.
    np, I think it's worthy of its own thread.

Shawn who is very knowledgeable about OSU players likes Simon a lot and I believe he has him in the 4th round of his sig mock draft. Simon has a motor that never stops and I would be okay with him in the 4th round, but not any earlier as the article suggests.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    No thanks. Not interested. I don't think there's a Buckeye I'd want this year.
    Thats just crazy talk. This is the best defensive year in quite awhile coming out of Ohio. Hankins, Simon, and Boren all great players.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    np, I think it's worthy of its own thread.

Shawn who is very knowledgeable about OSU players likes Simon a lot and I believe he has him in the 4th round of his sig mock draft. Simon has a motor that never stops and I would be okay with him in the 4th round, but not any earlier as the article suggests.
    I think Simon is an early second round talent. But, I have seen many mocks have him going in the 3-4 range. If we got Simon in the 4th, it would be a coup. My mock is wishful thinking...but you never know.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Love his motor. Would consider him in the 3rd-4th range but no earlier.