Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 182

Thread: Harrison's Agent Would Welcome Call from Steelers

  1. #71
    I wonder if the dead money figures into not wanting him back? I figured it would stay quiet incase the Steelers needed him because of injury or terrible play like they did with Starks.

  2. #72
    Let's be honest...

    At this point, Harrison's agent would welcome a call from anyone...

  3. #73
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,146
    Ryan Clark knows it will be “tough” to replace James Harrison

    Posted by Mike Florio on March 28, 2013



    Before free agency started, the Steelers cut linebacker James Harrison. Since then, after Harrison found no takers in free agency, the Steelers reportedly rebuffed an attempt by Harrison to become a Steeler again.

    Steelers safety Ryan Clark apparently believes the team will regret it.

    “That is tough,” Clark told NFL Network regarding the decision to move on from Harrison. “That is going to be one of the tougher spots we have to fill because it is not just the player. It is the way people felt about James Harrison as you looked across the line and realized you had to block him, or a quarterback dropping back knowing James Harrison is coming, running backs knowing they can’t cut back to the left because James is running down the line. You can’t change that. You can’t make a person be that.

    “That comes when a guy goes out there week after week and dominates people and that is what James did. He instilled fear into the offense. That is going to be hard to replace. You may get a player with similar numbers, but to have that intimidation factor is going to be extremely hard. It is something that has to be earned.”

    Clark remains confident the franchise will rebound from its current transition.

    “It is tough but it is the Steelers though,” Clark said. “If you talk about one team who has found ways to consistently be in the hunt to win the AFC North, consistently be in the hunt for the playoffs, it is us. We have been to three Super Bowls in the last decade, so the Steelers know how to retool and get guys right in there that step up to be good players.”

    That ability perhaps will be tested more this year than ever before.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ames-harrison/

  4. #74
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,975
    I have mixed feelings about this with Harrison. I'm ready for the youth movement and to learn if we have the person to fill this position for years to come. Then again, James might have another year in the tank. I highly doubt it so I've just set an answer to myself doubts and regrets of allowing James to move on. The Steelers have done the right thing even if we don't have a person that can handle the job. It's just time to move on. I wish they would move on from Troy too.

    The way Clark is always in the media or speaking up, I wonder if he's setting the tone for a job in brodcasting after his football days ?

  5. #75
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,447
    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this with Harrison. I'm ready for the youth movement and to learn if we have the person to fill this position for years to come. Then again, James might have another year in the tank. I highly doubt it so I've just set an answer to myself doubts and regrets of allowing James to move on. The Steelers have done the right thing even if we don't have a person that can handle the job. It's just time to move on. I wish they would move on from Troy too.

    The way Clark is always in the media or speaking up, I wonder if he's setting the tone for a job in brodcasting after his football days ?
    We are of like mind. I agree with you 100%. It is time to move on. Harrison isn't going to get better. Give Worilds more reps and he very well may get better just like Harrison did when they dumped Joey Porter.

    No doubt Clark is preparing for his second career.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  6. #76
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,951
    Would take Harrison back for the vet minimum but not sure Harrison would feel the same kind of drive playing for that kind of contract. and not sure he would be all that good of a mentor for the young players cause he comes off kind of nasty.

  7. #77
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We are of like mind. I agree with you 100%. It is time to move on. Harrison isn't going to get better. Give Worilds more reps and he very well may get better just like Harrison did when they dumped Joey Porter.

    No doubt Clark is preparing for his second career.
    Harrison doesn't need to get any better... he needs to get younger and that ain't possible.

  8. #78
    Didn't the Steelers show they valued Harrison highly (w/ an offer @ the end of the season), but just not highly enough according to Harrison's agent?

    After he recovered from injury last year, wasn't Harrison the best back on the field for us?

    Understanding that after he walked we may have spent some of the money earmarked for him … I would offer him every penny of what we have left over to come back 1 more year and be our best back. Due diligence of course to make sure this whole fiasco hasn't twisted him evil, but if that's OK and he's healthy - seems nuts to willfully choose to not put the best player we can on the field.


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  9. #79
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,951
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Didn't the Steelers show they valued Harrison highly (w/ an offer @ the end of the season), but just not highly enough according to Harrison's agent?

    After he recovered from injury last year, wasn't Harrison the best back on the field for us?

    Understanding that after he walked we may have spent some of the money earmarked for him … I would offer him every penny of what we have left over to come back 1 more year and be our best back. Due diligence of course to make sure this whole fiasco hasn't twisted him evil, but if that's OK and he's healthy - seems nuts to willfully choose to not put the best player we can on the field.
    When you are at the end of your career, you can play for the money (usually with a different team), or you can play for the team you grew up with and love (usually for less money). I think the Steelers probably sensed Harrison was more in the mode of the former, rather than the latter. Nothing wrong with either choice, but very difficult to change the mindset once it has been made.

  10. #80
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,447
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    When you are at the end of your career, you can play for the money (usually with a different team), or you can play for the team you grew up with and love (usually for less money). I think the Steelers probably sensed Harrison was more in the mode of the former, rather than the latter. Nothing wrong with either choice, but very difficult to change the mindset once it has been made.
    I agree. I also disagree that Harrison was the best LB at the end of the season. Timmons was better beginning, middle and end of the season. He just doesn't get Harrison's opportunities to go after the QB.

    Don't forget that Worilds had 5 sacks in what I think were fewer plays on the field than Harrison had. Don't see why anyone assumesd Harrison was so much more dominant other than his rep which doesn't mean jack anymore. No one fears him anymore.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •