Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Surprise position you see us taking @ 17

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Any Surprise position you see us taking @ 17

It looks like OLB and Safety dominated the discussions here on defense with WR on the offensive side. Do you think the Steelers are comfortable with who we have to play NT?
    If I'm not mistaken I think Casey Hampton when drafted started for us his first year, this is one of the few times I seen a rookie be able to start on defense his first year.

NT might be a position overlooked by the fans. I do think we have to get stronger up front on D, so I'm wondering if the Steelers are considering that position on their boards.
    What throws everything off is we have 3 players to play the position, Mclendon the projected starter, Ta'amu who is up in the air and Fangupo.

Backup

User Info Menu

LeBeau wasn't our DC in 2001 when Casey arrived. That's why he started.

Kendrell Bell too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think NT, RB (Lacy), and OT (Fluker) are all possibilities that would be surprises to most on this board.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    I think NT, RB (Lacy), and OT (Fluker) are all possibilities that would be surprises to most on this board.
    17 is to high for Lacey. I fully believe we can get him with the 49th pick.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    17 is to high for Lacey. I fully believe we can get him with the 49th pick.

Not a prayer of him getting past the top 25 picks.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I will be shocked. Yes sir Richardson went high but that was the Browns.But Ingram went 28th and is not all that in the NFL. Is Lacy better then Ingram but not as good as Richardson? What pick and team do you see him going?

Legend

User Info Menu

there's not a RB in this draft I would take in Round 1, but if i had to choose one it definitely would be Lacy.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Not a prayer of Lacy getting past the top 25 picks.
    2013 PFT mock draft, Version 1

Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2013

It makes no sense to do mock drafts before free agency starts, even though everyone does. It makes somewhat less nonsense to do one two weeks into free agency, but things can still change until it’s time for the first pick to be made.

Then again, it arguably makes no sense to do mock drafts at all, since it’s inherently a crapshoot that gives the experts and those who think they are something to do.

It’s even more of a crapshoot in 2013.

But we’ll shoot the crap anyway, since we haven’t done it yet this year and plenty of you have been asking for us to do one.

Probably so that you can complain about how bad it is.

So complain away.

1. Chiefs: DE Dion Jordan, Oregon.

2. Jaguars: OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M.

3. Raiders: DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida.

4. Eagles: DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri.

5. Lions: CB Desmond Trufant, Washington.

6. Browns: DE Ziggy Ansah, BYU.

7. Cardinals: DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU.

8. Bills: QB Matt Barkley, USC.

9. Jets: CB Dee Milliner, Alabama.

10. Titans: OG Chance Warmack, Alabama.

11. Chargers: OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan.

12. Dolphins: OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma.

13. Buccaneers: WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia.

14. Panthers: DT Star Lotulelei, Utah.

15. Saints: WR Keenan Allen, California.

16. Rams: OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina.

17. Steelers: RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama.

18. Cowboys: S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas.

19. Giants: DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State.

20. Bears: LB Jarvis Jones, Georgia.

21. Bengals: DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina.

22. Rams (from Redskins): OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama.

23. Vikings: QB Geno Smith, West Virginia.

24. Colts: WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee.

25. Vikings (from Seahawks): LB Manti Te’o, Notre Dame.

26. Packers: TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame.

27. Texans: WR Deandre Hopkins, Clemson.

28. Broncos: S Matt Elam, Florida.

29. Patriots: CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State.

30. Falcons: DE Cornellius Carradine, Florida State.

31. 49ers: NT John Jenkins, Georgia.

32. Ravens: OT Kyle Long, Oregon.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/24/pft-mock-draft-1-0/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

i think id be surprised and happy with a stud TE at #17.
    with the uncertainty of heath's health, effective playing days left, cap number next year, loss of a wr weapon and how haley likes to TEs, i think this pick makes lots of sense

Legend

User Info Menu

Big Picture - we need to improve 2 areas - 1. Pass Rush and 2. Red Zone efficiency/scoring. Any player that can help either is a possibility in round 1.

The best way to help a pass rush is with a stud NT. One of the biggest reasons Woodley, Harrison, Worilds couldn't get to the QB is because QBs had a huge pocket to step up into meaning our OLBs couldn't run by OTs. We had to cut the corner and go thru OTs to get to the QB cause he was often so well protected in the pocket. In his hey day, Hampton used to move the pocket back 2-3 yards with ease. Gave the OLBs a great line to get to the QB. None of the guys on the roster collapse the pocket like Casey once did. I think Fangupo is the only one with the build to possibly play like Hampton. A 1st round NT would make a tone of sense.

The second best way to help the pass rush is better coverage. That would mean a S or CB.

On the offensive side, a TE is the best mismatch on offense. I've been advocating the Steelers take a TE for years. I've been begging for a second stud TE before the 2 TE sets were en vogue in the NFL. I loved the fact BA wanted to utilize multiple TE sets. And I really thought that meant Colbert would go get us a great #2. DJ, Matt Spaeth, etc are nothing like I was thinking.

So the 3 surprise positions that I think make the most sense are NT, CB, or TE. And I've also had a suspicion the best player on the board might be a LT and I'd gladly take him if available.

We're picking so high, we need an impact player like Ben or Troy that transcends his position. Hopefully we won't be picking this high again.