Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History of OLB speed in Pittsburgh.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

History of OLB speed in Pittsburgh.

I wish I had Chadmans posting skills for this. But I will keep it short and sweet. If Jones falls he very well could be the pick. But I think the Steelers could surprise this year. I was concerned about Jone's speed. So I took a look at some of the OLB's for the steelers.

1) Joey Porter 4.68
    2) Clark Haggens 4.97
    3) Lamarr Woodley 4.74
    4) Jason Worilds 4.65
    5) Chris Carter 4.58
    6) Adrian Robinson 4.73

So maybe Chadman can add his steelers draft research and stats to this I hope. For me Jones has to many red flags for a 1st rd pick. Can Robinson break through in camp? Does anyone think he could be a good OLB?

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't care how long it takes an OLB to run 40 yards in a straight line in his underwear. Only care how long it takes him to run around (or through) an offensive tackle and take down a QB during an actual game. Jarvis Jones is the best player in this draft at doing just that, so if other teams are more concerned about underwear Olympics than actual gameplay, and he falls into our laps at #17, then I take him and smile.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Don't care how long it takes an OLB to run 40 yards in a straight line in his underwear. Only care how long it takes him to run around (or through) an offensive tackle and take down a QB during an actual game. Jarvis Jones is the best player in this draft at doing just that, so if other teams are more concerned about underwear Olympics than actual gameplay, and he falls into our laps at #17, then I take him and smile.

Yep. Especially since we're interested in other players but signing none, we gotta draft someone who can get it done....
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I wish I had Chadmans posting skills for this. But I will keep it short and sweet. If Jones falls he very well could be the pick. But I think the Steelers could surprise this year. I was concerned about Jone's speed. So I took a look at some of the OLB's for the steelers.

1) Joey Porter 4.68
    2) Clark Haggens 4.97
    3) Lamarr Woodley 4.74
    4) Jason Worilds 4.65
    5) Chris Carter 4.58
    6) Adrian Robinson 4.73

So maybe Chadman can add his steelers draft research and stats to this I hope. For me Jones has to many red flags for a 1st rd pick. Can Robinson break through in camp? Does anyone think he could be a good OLB?

Chadman feels so Kiperish after reading this..

First thing we should do is remove Porter and Haggans from consideration- both were Cowher picks, and Tomlin/ Colbert appear to have different criteria.

Secondly, bench press, vertical jump, 20 yard & 3 cone drills are also important drills to include.

Based solely on the Combine numbers, the following players are the best fit- Sio Moore, Cornelius Washington, Trevardo Williams & Zavier Gooden.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Backup

User Info Menu

Small and slow doesn't work

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post

First thing we should do is remove Porter and Haggans from consideration- both were Cowher picks, and Tomlin/ Colbert appear to have different criteria.

Secondly, bench press, vertical jump, 20 yard & 3 cone drills are also important drills to include.

Based solely on the Combine numbers, the following players are the best fit- Sio Moore, Cornelius Washington, Trevardo Williams & Zavier Gooden.
    I don't mind removing both players but were they picked on Colberts watch along with Cowher? Yes sir I agree the other measurables matter! That is why I had hope you would post! How does Jone's pro day numbers fit? I was to lazy to go look back through your thread. Pro day numbers below for you. Thanks Chadman.
    [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/gnews.php?id=845409-nfl-jarvis-jones-unimpressive-at-pro-day"]NFL | Jarvis Jones unimpressive at Pro Day [/URL]
    Fri, 22 Mar 2013 09:22:48 -0700

Georgia LB [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/player/27559/nfl/jarvis-jones"]Jarvis Jones[/URL] was not impressive at his Pro Day Thursday, March 21. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.92 seconds. He broad jumped 9-foot-3 and had a vertical leap of 30 1/2 inches. He also did 20 repetitions on the bench press, according to multiple media reports.

Read more: [URL]http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=2#ixzz2OOZMpENv[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post

Sweet. I have him in my mock below. I picked him because of his numbers. I like it chadman, i like it.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Another guy who had a good 40 time was Stephen Conley, a third round bust. Bruce Davis, another third round bust, ran a 4.78. His vertical and bench were also close to Jones.

I don't think Jones is Bruce Davis, but figured I would throw the numbers out there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I don't mind removing both players but were they picked on Colberts watch along with Cowher? Yes sir I agree the other measurables matter! That is why I had hope you would post! How does Jone's pro day numbers fit? I was to lazy to go look back through your thread. Pro day numbers below for you. Thanks Chadman.
    [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/gnews.php?id=845409-nfl-jarvis-jones-unimpressive-at-pro-day"]NFL | Jarvis Jones unimpressive at Pro Day [/URL]
    Fri, 22 Mar 2013 09:22:48 -0700

Georgia LB [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/player/27559/nfl/jarvis-jones"]Jarvis Jones[/URL] was not impressive at his Pro Day Thursday, March 21. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.92 seconds. He broad jumped 9-foot-3 and had a vertical leap of 30 1/2 inches. He also did 20 repetitions on the bench press, according to multiple media reports.

Read more: [URL]http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=2#ixzz2OOZMpENv[/URL]
    Height/Weight- The Steelers tend to avoid LB's that are too tall, or too heavy. In and around 6'0" appears to be the ideal height & 230-240lbs seems the Steelers target. This could be a leverage/agility reason, as the Steelers seem to be moving toward LB's that can cover TE's more during the Tomlin/Colbert era.

40 Yard- Between 4.6 & 4.7 seems to be about the right mark. Obviously, there are exceptions- generally lower, like Worilds who timed exceedingly well at 4.51.

Bench- The Steelers don't appear to have any strict guideline to the benchpress, but around 25 or so reps appears to be the norm. Obviously Spence finished well short of that, and got drafted anyway- but he claims to have been lifting with a damaged wrist, and normally puts up atound 20 reps. Might be worth disregarding this as a guide.

Vertical- vertical tests a players explosion, and it's no surprise that the Steelers value this highly. Look for players that jump 30" MINIMUM, and more towards the mid-30" range. Again, Jason Worilds tested out of this world.

Broad- Also tests a players explosion, and a broad jump of 9' & further is the area the Steelers tend to look.

20 Yard Shuttle- Again, another to watch. Tests a players agility- important if a LB is going to be dropped into coverage. The Steelers tend to look at players that test between 4.2 & 4.45 or so.

3 Cone- Like the Shuttle, this will test a players agility. Look for players that test between the 6.8 & 7 second range- or lower obviously.

For comparisons sake:

3. Bruce Davis- 2008 Round 3
    6'3" 252lbs
    40 Yard- 4.78
    Bench- 19 Reps
    Vertical- 29"
    Broad- 9'01"
    20 Yard Shuttle- 4.47
    3 Cone- 7.34

Jarvis Jones
    6'2" 246lbs
    40 Yard- 4.92
    Bench- 20 Reps
    Vertical- 30.5"
    Broad- 9'3"

Even if you remove the bad 40 time, his other measurables are only barely passable. Not sure the Steelers will select him, wether you like underwear olympics or not.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S