Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers one of 3 teams interested in Dwight Freeney

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I really hope that's not the case. It seems really Jr. High to threaten to bring in players that nobody thinks you'll sign anyway.
    It's very Tomlinesque. Like calling Wally a 1 trick pony. I think this is also the reason his motivation seems to fall on deaf ears from time to time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    It's very Tomlinesque. Like calling Wally a 1 trick pony. I think this is also the reason his motivation seems to fall on deaf ears from time to time.
    I guess I don't see it that way at all. At the time Wallace was indeed a "one trick pony" so it made sense to motivate him to improve on other areas of his game. Whether he has or not is a fight for another thread if anyone even cares anymore.

In this case, everyone knows that the Steelers are short on cap room and have had to do a lot of reworking just to get what they have. They have seldom been active with big names in FA anyway. It seems obvious to me that this would motivate nobody. Besides, I'm not thinking Coach T is the one behind these kinds of stories anyway.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I really hope that's not the case. It seems really Jr. High to threaten to bring in players that nobody thinks you'll sign anyway.
    I would agree but we are talking about a team with a head coach that immediately benches a RB for the next man up after one fumble.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Dwight Freeney at top of Denver Broncos' wish list

By Chris Wesseling
    Around the League Writer
    Published: March 24, 2013

The Denver Broncos had pass rushers Dwight Freeney and John Abraham in town last Thursday as a fallback plan in case Elvis Dumervil flew the coop.

Now that Dumervil has chosen the Baltimore Ravens, the Broncos are turning their attention back to the two aging veterans.

A source close to the situation told NFL Network's Michelle Beisner on Sunday that the Broncos are "making a hard push" for Freeney.

Freeney -- who is represented by Dumervil's agent, Tom Condon -- is the Broncos' first choice, according to The Denver Post's Mike Klis. In a bizarre twist, Klis had reported just moments before on Twitter that the Broncos are "expected to focus" on Abraham, with Freeney as a fallback option.

While Abraham has been more productive over the past three years, Freeney is two years younger and might have an "in" with Peyton Manning, his former longtime Indianapolis Colts teammate.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153223/article/dwight-freeney-at-top-of-denver-broncos-wish-list[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

O dam man, now the Broncos are going to get him..
    We never overpay anyone elses high priced free agents.
    The Steelers are doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed and the front office is dumbbbb. and we won't win another superbowl for 40 years
    wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Legend

User Info Menu

Dwight Freeney wants richer deal than Osi Umenyiora

By Dan Hanzus
    Around the League Writer
    Published: March 28, 2013

Osi Umenyiora added some more context to the pass-rusher market Thursday when he officially signed a two-year deal with the Atlanta Falcons.

Dwight Freeney took note. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport said Thursday on "NFL Total Access" that Freeney wants more than Umenyiora's $8.5 million base earnings. And as NFL Network's Michelle Beisner reported earlier, Freeney's willing to wait to get the deal he wants.

The Denver Broncos have been the team most closely linked to Freeney. The veteran outside linebacker also has spotlighted the Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins as potential destinations. The Dolphins ($15.7 million) have the most salary-cap space to play with, followed by the Broncos ($8.8M) and Lions ($7.3M).

Rapoport says Freeney is open to waiting until after the draft when teams can reassess roster needs. Another possible window is training camp, when teams must react to injuries.

It's an interesting strategy by Freeney, but it's a gamble he must feel comfortable taking.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000155207/article/dwight-freeney-wants-richer-deal-than-osi-umenyiora[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha