Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones is a turtle

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I've always been a "performance on the field" guy compared to a combine/pro day buy. That is why I'd still take Jones at 1.17.

The neck is the #1 concern for me.

The guy lead college football in sacks and tackles for loss. He's a stud. I'd prefer his 40 team be better at only 245 but I'm not to concerned with that.
    I'm with you ... I don't care much for the underware olympics. My evaluation would be based on film and interviews. This guy seems like he could be a difference maker on defense. Allow us to make more "splash" plays. If he isn't available at 17 then look to trade back and take the TE from either ND or Stanford. I think either of those could be a playmaker for us.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

pass....give me Chase Thomas
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Legend

User Info Menu

players who rise or fall based on workouts, generally are the busts (if they rise) and steals (if they fall)... 1.17, steal... i'll take it...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    pass....give me Chase Thomas
    Chase ran a 4.91 in the 40 at the combine, for what it's worth.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Chase ran a 4.91 in the 40 at the combine, for what it's worth.

Yup, I think they are very close to being the same player. Jones is a 'football player' so is Thomas but he has no health concerns and is available 2 rounds later.

Player Name Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
    Jarvis Jones: 96 72 168 45.5 28.0 1 21 21.0 0 6 0 0 0 9
    [URL]http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jarvis-jones-1.html[/URL]

Player Name: Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
    Chase Thomas: 145 84 229 50.5 27.5 2 2 1.0 0 8 1 7 1 9
    [URL]http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/chase-thomas-1.html[/URL]

Thomas started 3 years, Jones started 2. Jones rushes the passer better stat-wise but I would bet based off what i have seen that Thomas dropped in coverage more and had less opportunities to rush, plus he is better against the run.

Edit *sorry the stats are hard to read couldn't get the formatting to stay*
    Last edited by focosteeler; 03-23-2013 at 03:02 AM.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Legend

User Info Menu

Perhaps Jones is "sandbagging" just a little so that he goes to a better team.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Perhaps Jones is "sandbagging" just a little so that he goes to a better team.
    What??? Who is going to cost themselves money by sandbagging their workout? Not as severe as in the past, but draft slot correlates to compensation.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    What??? Who is going to cost themselves money by sandbagging their workout? Not as severe as in the past, but draft slot correlates to compensation.
    It could be argued to being on a successful team with other good players around you will earn you more on the 2nd contract that will offset the first contract losses.

Will Jarvis Jones draw more of the offenses attention playing next to Lamarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons with Troy Polamalu floating around...

...or surrounded by Paul Poslusny, Geno Hayes, and the rest of the Jaguars no-name defence?

Starter

User Info Menu

Watching tape of Jones on youtube, the Alabama game in particular, he was a beast while pass rushing, forcing fumbles and getting after the QB. He was a liability against the run, getting pushed around and even picked on as they chose to run his way more often than not.

He isn't really comparable to Harrison because while Harrison has been a workout warrior that was rumored to be the strongest Steeler, Jones is rumored to be a guy that doesn't like to workout.

IMO, his ability to beat tackles 1 on 1, reap havoc in the back field and force fumbles makes him worth 1.17, but he will need to get busy in the weight room, and get much stronger than his 20 reps to reach his potential in the NFL.

Another AS masterpiece.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Here is another point I got for you guys. Jones is used to just being good. No real need to train hard. Does he have the drive to get better in the NFL? Or will he get fat & lazy. Could he end up like Woodley? Small health problems leading to a sloopy player that has derailed a good career. This new generation of players seem to be happy to get paid and not care about being champs and killing it in the NFL. Need more Harrisons who work for it.