Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Steelers interested in Tennessee QB Tyler Bray?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I still have no idea why they didn't just put Leftwich on I.R., and kept Hoyer on the roster last year. That was truly dumb.
    It was beyond dumb. They have been crapping the bed the last 5 years on all personnel decisions. Just embarrassing.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Is Hoyer really that big of a deal? Really?

Of course the Cardinals put a 2nd round tender on him...

They have zero optons at QB!!!

Would he be nice to have? Sure...why not...

Is it that big of a deal? No...no, it isn't...

It isn't like the Broncos losing Dumervil...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Is Hoyer really that big of a deal? Really?

I actually would rather have Bruce Gradkowski.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I actually would rather have Bruce Gradkowski.
    You and me both! I think Gradkowski is actually a really good signing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh Steelers reportedly pursued Brian Hoyer

By Marc Sessler
    Around the League Writer
    Published: March 23, 2013

The Pittsburgh Steelers hopped off the rickety Charlie Batch-Byron Leftwich express this month when they landed backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, but he reportedly wasn't the team's first choice.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Friday that the Steelers "really wanted" Brian Hoyer, a move that became impossible after the Arizona Cardinals slapped a second-round, $2.023 million tender on the 27-year-old passer, which he signed this week.

The Steelers were planning to sign Hoyer as a free agent after he spent part of last season on Pittsburgh's roster, according to Bouchette. Hoyer was signed in November after Ben Roethlisberger and Leftwich were injured but then released in December when cornerback Josh Victorian was promoted off the practice squad.

Few coaches have a better read on Pittsburgh's thinking than former longtime Steelers aide Bruce Arians, who -- now embedded as the Cardinals' coach -- "must have known how much (the Steelers) wanted (Hoyer) back," according to Bouchette. Hence the second-round tender. Hoyer's stock was on the rise as free agency neared, and it's likely the Steelers would have faced competition.

Bouchette reported the Steelers now are considering taking a signal-caller in the mid-to-later rounds of the 2013 NFL Draft. Team brass dined with Tennessee Titans quarterback Tyler Bray before his pro day last week, and Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert is on record saying a developmental passer is on the agenda as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger delves deeper into his 30s.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153126/article/pittsburgh-steelers-reportedly-pursued-brian-hoyer[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

could not say it any better...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    This kid is a loser. Mentally weak, total lack of leadership skills, and a complete knuckle-head off the field. Add bad mechanics and there you have it. He's a lot closer the second coming of Ryan Leaf than even a marginal NFL QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

I read that Randy Fichtner is going to meet with Ryan Griffin from Tulane next week. I would be surprised if the Steelers did not draft a mid-late round developmental QB.

I saw an article recently saying that the whole idea of a developmental QB is a bit of a myth. It broke down starters throughout the league and almost all are first rounders, with a few second rounders (including Brees) and, of course, Brady as the anomaly.
    Last edited by phillyesq; 03-27-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Brass Making Rounds At Pro Days In The State Of Ohio

Mar 25th, 2013 by Dominic Di Tolla

Some of Pittsburgh’s brass were in attendance for two Pro Days in the state of Ohio over the past week: one for former Ohio State defensive end John Simon, and the other for N.F.L.-hopefuls at Miami University (OH).

Simon, who sustained a shoulder injury and was unable to perform at The Combine or at the Buckeyes’ Pro Day earlier this Spring, finally got a chance to strut his stuff today in front of N.F.L. personnel. According to NFL.com’s Gil Brandt, Steeler G.M. Kevin Colbert was there to check out the prospect.

A three-year starter with the Buckeyes (37 games), Simon was one of the defense’s most effective players during his junior and senior campaigns. Back in 2011, Simon registered 53 tackles, 16.0 tackles for loss, and 7.0 sacks. This past year, the defensive end set a career high for sacks during a regular season with 9.0, and filled out the rest of his statline with 45 tackles and 14.5 tackles for loss.

Like most of the outside linebacker prospects the Steelers have targeted over the years, Simon was a defensive end during his collegiate career. Because of the fact that he was a down-lineman, the former Buckeye did not gain an excessive amount of experience as a stand-up outside linebacker, nor did he have to play very often in space.

As a pass-rusher, Simon’s athleticism, agility, and explosiveness were “average at best” in the games I watched him play (example) and the spin move he employed was slow and rarely effective against Penn State. Due to his lack of fluidity as an athlete, I for one have my doubts as to whether or not he can stick and stay with running backs and tight ends in pass-coverage. Furthermore, Simon must also prove that he is strong enough to engage and shed blocks from N.F.L.-sized offensive tackles too.

To his credit though, Simon did his best to silence critics about his speed and agility, and had a terrific workout session. He measured in at 6’1″ 257 lbs., clocked in with 40 yard dash times in the 4.62-4.7 range, recorded an impressive vertical jump of 34″, and posted a solid short shuttle time of 4.42 seconds.

I personally believe that the Steelers should not worry too much about acquiring the former Buckeye on Day 2 of the Draft, especially because there should be far more athletic pass-rushers available at that time like Corey Lemonier, Jamie Collins, and Brandon Jenkins. But if Simon is available in Round 4 or early on Day 3 of the Draft, and Pittsburgh has yet to take a pass-rushing prospect, he might be a worthy investment at that point in the draft process.

According to Gil Brandt of NFL.com, Pittsburgh’s quarterback coach Randy Fichtner was at Miami’s Pro Day last Thursday to scout the Redhawks’ former signal-caller, Zac Dysert (6’3″ 227 lbs.).

A four-year starter with the Redhawks, Dysert broke or came close to breaking most of Ben Roethlisberger’s records at the school, and has the tools to be a solid developmental Quarterback. During his collegiate career, Zac started 45 games, and set career highs in completions (302), attempts (480), and touchdown passes (25) last season to go along with 3,483 passing yards and a 62.9% completion rate.

While I agree with Brandt that Dysert is not ready to be a starter at the professional level at this point in his career, there is a lot to like about the young prospect. As I alluded to before, Zac is an experienced player (45 starts), a tough guy, possesses the ability to make plays and escape trouble (not as well as Big Ben though), and has more than enough arm strength to make every thrown on the field. In fact, Brandt said that Dysert completed 54 of his 64 pass attempts at his Pro Day which was held in 25 degree weather with the wind blowing up to 10 miles per hour.

I for one would like to see the Steelers draft “Roethlisberger Lite” as NFL.com referred to him as in the heading of the post. As a Rookie and even a second year player, Dysert will have the luxury to sit behind Big Ben and Bruce Gradkowski/Charlie Batch while he fine tunes his game and learns the offense. Pittsburgh must have some sort of viable “transition strategy” in place at quarterback before Big Ben finally calls it quits. Thus, I am sure that the franchise has their eye on a number of developmental signal-callers like Dysert (and Tyler Bray) in this year’s draft class.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/03/25/steelers-brass-making-rounds-at-pro-days-in-the-state-of-ohio/[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Dysert, i've watched and like... different animal than Bray... sign me up
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)