Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers interested in Tennessee QB Tyler Bray?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    What Haley wants, Haley will get.

He's being given the keys to the offense. And if he plays his cards right? He'll be getting even MORE.
    Shouldn't the offensive coordinator be given the keys to the offense?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Wow...Some people think only Choir Boys play in the NFL. Some are naive enough to think only Choir Boys play for the Steelers. "But can he play football?" Just how many times do you think that question is asked after the "bad" is summarized about a prospect. The sky is blue. Water is wet. Football is not for the weak. Girls don't play football. There is a fine line between confident & "A" hole but they both play in the NFL and for the Steelers.

Bray wouldn't be the first kid drafted by the Steelers who reeks of immauturity & he won't be the last. The question of "Will he become a profesional" is what the FO will sort out in the interviews. The answer to the question "But can he play football?" will be answered for all of you come draft day. Who he becomes is up to him.

As far as Bray & the Steelers...It would be a very good situation for both. Another year in school for Bray could have elevated his stock into the 1st. I won't get into the argument of how far because that would have depended on him. I do believe his decision was based on some part of Patterson, Hunter, Thomas, & Rivera entering the draft. He wouldn't be asked to produce early in his career. He can sit at #3 & hold a clipboard. His position coach would work with him and he will learn the NFL game as an observer. He will learn how to be a professional from his team mates & coaches. That being said, do I think the interest is all about Bray? I think they would draft him if he falls further than his grade if they like how he interviewed. I don't think he is a "target" player. What I really think it is about is finding out about Patterson & Hunter. The things that you can't measure. I do believe Patterson would be the pick @ #17 if he falls and Hunter would be a 2nd round consideration. Just all part of the process.
    Of course there are good, bad, mature, immature, etc on each team and in some instances all in one person. The question for me is this: If you know he's a dimwit, arrogant or a headcase, why bother? Those are not traits that a quarterback coach can alleviate. A quarterback coach, can, however, fix the footwork, throwing mechanics, hot reads, progressions, etc. A character flaw isn't correctable by a coach, unless, the coach is a licensed psychologist as well as a wealth of football knowledge.

I've never seen Bray play, but if he's anything close to the descriptions in this thread, me, personally, I wouldn't draft for those reasons. Of course, on the other hand, you could draft a kid that puts up the great facade during the interview and then becomes the devil incarnate once he joins the team.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

DRAFT GRADES FOR TOP 10 BY POSITION - QUARTERBACKS

By Lance Zierlein
    March 21, 2013

Lance Zierlein grades the Top 10 quarterbacks.

QUARTERBACK RANKINGS

Quarterback School Round
    Geno Smith West Virginia 1st
    Matt Barkley USC 2nd
    EJ Manuel Florida St. 2nd/3rd
    Mike Glennon NC State 2nd/3rd
    Tyler Wilson Arkansas 3rd
    Ryan Nassib Syracuse 3rd
    Tyler Bray Tennessee 3rd/4th
    Zac Dysert Miami, OH 4th
    Landry Jones Oklahoma 4th
    Matt Scott Arizona 5th

ANALYSIS

We all know this is a poor year for franchise QBs or even full-time starters, but there are some interesting prospects to talk about.

Geno Smith has the best combination of athleticism, arm, size and makeup, but he is certainly no sure thing. I would have liked to see Smith run a little more last year when the opportunity arose because the ability to create when a play breaks down would be a big plus in the NFL.

Matt Barkley is worth a late first round pick in my opinion, but only to a team who has a starter in place and who is looking to try and groom him. If a bad team drafted him and tried to plug him in right now, I think he would fail and potentially fail miserably. He needs more coaching.

To me, the guys with the biggest upsides are Mike Glennon and EJ Manuel, but for different reasons. Glennon has the size and the arm, but he makes poor decisions at times which results in turnovers and he will get sacked a ton. If you plugged him in with a strong offensive line and gave him time to throw, he could be a QB who attacks defenses down the field as he showed the ability to strike with the deep ball quite often at N.C. State. Anything short of a great pair of tackles and he will get creamed.

Manuel is a pure projection. His stats from Florida State look good on paper, but his play didn't always say "first three round QB". What I really like about Manuel besides his size and ability to operate outside of the pocket is that he's got moldable traits. He has played out of gun, under center and run some zone-read. He's the perfect prospect for a team looking to diversify their offense. He's got a high ceiling, but a low floor so taking him within the first two rounds is a swing for the fences.

Tyler Wilson showed a desire to survive last year which meant getting rid of the ball quickly. He is better than what we saw at times last year behind that offensive line and with that lack of skill talent, but I don't think he has the type of NFL arm most teams will look for. He needs to be in a west coast offense.

As for Ryan Nassib, he's intelligent and competitive, but I can't get past the fact that so much of his game looks so average. I just don't see the 1st round grades that some are putting on him.

Tyler Bray's measurables are very intriguing, but I would have liked to have seen even more production considering he was playing with NFL-caliber WRs and an NFL-caliber left tackle in Dallas Thomas.

Zac Dysert appears to be relatively average in every way as well, but I like him. I saw poise when I studied him and I think that is a very important trait for a potential NFL starter. Landry Jones has a decent arm and a quick set-up but his accuracy inconsistencies are hard for me to get past.

[URL]http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/draft-grades-top-10-position-quarterbacks[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Shouldn't the offensive coordinator be given the keys to the offense?

Pappy
    Arians wasn't. He was told what to do by Art despite the success they had.

Arians biggest fault is he's not a Yinzer.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    he said it felt.

I just had to laugh. This guy was a total punk from the day he stepped on campus.
    I went to UT for a year waaaay back in the day so I know he is lying about starving. I was BROKE and never,ever, EVER missed a meal. lol...

Legend

User Info Menu

Of course there are good, bad, mature, immature, etc on each team and in some instances all in one person. The question for me is this: If you know he's a dimwit, arrogant or a headcase, why bother? Those are not traits that a quarterback coach can alleviate. A quarterback coach, can, however, fix the footwork, throwing mechanics, hot reads, progressions, etc. A character flaw isn't correctable by a coach, unless, the coach is a licensed psychologist as well as a wealth of football knowledge.

I've never seen Bray play, but if he's anything close to the descriptions in this thread, me, personally, I wouldn't draft for those reasons. Of course, on the other hand, you could draft a kid that puts up the great facade during the interview and then becomes the devil incarnate once he joins the team.

Pappy
    I've seen him play and it's frustrating... the guy has the tools, the arm and last year he had the weapons. However, what he didn't have was accuracy or a will to win. He reminds me of Phillip Rivers and Cutler... but without the W's. He is the type to check out during a game winning drive.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Of course there are good, bad, mature, immature, etc on each team and in some instances all in one person. The question for me is this: If you know he's a dimwit, arrogant or a headcase, why bother? Those are not traits that a quarterback coach can alleviate. A quarterback coach, can, however, fix the footwork, throwing mechanics, hot reads, progressions, etc. A character flaw isn't correctable by a coach, unless, the coach is a licensed psychologist as well as a wealth of football knowledge. I've never seen Bray play, but if he's anything close to the descriptions in this thread, me, personally, I wouldn't draft for those reasons. Of course, on the other hand, you could draft a kid that puts up the great facade during the interview and then becomes the devil incarnate once he joins the team. Pappy
    Not all in reponse to you Pap...I made a stew post. Don't anyone take offense.

That is what the interview process is for. I see the concerns..I'm not blind. But I see the talent...Like I said...I'm not blind. Bray isn't unique by defintion from many of the prospects. As far as your "dimwit, arrogant or a headcase,"...That came from what? The posters in here? Arrogant..."Swagger".... A Cutler or Rivers? Would that be bad as a #3 in the 3rd? Immaturity of a 21 year old can improve. There are examples of it through decades of drafts. There are also examples of failures...I'm not saying there is no risk. We aren't talking about making him the 1st round pick. Like I said, some of you are very naive thinking the Steelers take players off the board because of attitude. Many put the Steelers morals on a pedestal that doesn't exist. The Steelers may not be in the same house but they are in the same block. They put football players on their roster weighed against their risks.

Dooley's thoughts on him as a Freshman.
    [URL]http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/dec/20/brays-laid-back-attitude-impresses-dooley/Bray[/URL]

Bray is confident...He may be immature...He may say the wrong things at times. But the kid can ball. In my opinion, the most physically gifted QB in this draft. Most upside. Yes...There are risks but he isn't being drafted to be the franchise guy day 1 in the 1st round. Bray's best situation since he came out early is going to a strong organization with a franchise guy in place. He needs to learn to be an NFL QB & a professional. Don't have to like him or agree with me. Facts are his talent & upside warrant consideration if he is around in the 3rd for the Steelers if he interviews well. It is a fact that he needs to represent himself better but that is an obstacle with many kids coming out of college. He is a "Boom or Bust" pick at the QB position. If you can take that risk in the 3rd...You do it.

28 Games were all under Dooley's 3 years. Dooley was fired last year. In 28 games Bray was 14-14. Not great winning %. But....

540/922 59% 7,444 yds 69 Tds 28 Ints

2012: (12 games) 268/451 59.4% 3,612 yds 34 Tds 12 Ints

Those numbers under a new coaches 3 years who got fired at the end of his 3rd year. Talent? Bum? Dimwit? Headcase? Punk? Blank Card? There will be teams wanting to write his name on a card. More than likely Day 2 of draft. Will the Steelers be the first one? I would support it 100% if it was in the 3rd back. If he "Busts"....So be it. If he "Booms"....He can eat Steak whenever he wants & be a D!ck to the waitress. I wouldn't care. And guess what...Neither would the Steelers if he was winning. Slap on wrist...Go win a championship.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 03-22-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Not all in reponse to you Pap...I made a stew post. Don't anyone take offense.

That is what the interview process is for. I see the concerns..I'm not blind. But I see the talent...Like I said...I'm not blind. Bray isn't unique by defintion from many of the prospects. As far as your "dimwit, arrogant or a headcase,"...That came from what? The posters in here? Arrogant..."Swagger".... A Cutler or Rivers? Would that be bad as a #3 in the 3rd? Immaturity of a 21 year old can improve. There are examples of it through decades of drafts. There are also examples of failures...I'm not saying there is no risk. We aren't talking about making him the 1st round pick. Like I said, some of you are very naive thinking the Steelers take players off the board because of attitude. Many put the Steelers morals on a pedestal that doesn't exist. The Steelers may not be in the same house but they are in the same block. They put football players on their roster weighed against their risks.

Dooley's thoughts on him as a Freshman.
    [URL]http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/dec/20/brays-laid-back-attitude-impresses-dooley/Bray[/URL]

Bray is confident...He may be immature...He may say the wrong things at times. But the kid can ball. In my opinion, the most physically gifted QB in this draft. Most upside. Yes...There are risks but he isn't being drafted to be the franchise guy day 1 in the 1st round. Bray's best situation since he came out early is going to a strong organization with a franchise guy in place. He needs to learn to be an NFL QB & a professional. Don't have to like him or agree with me. Facts are his talent & upside warrant consideration if he is around in the 3rd for the Steelers if he interviews well. It is a fact that he needs to represent himself better but that is an obstacle with many kids coming out of college. He is a "Boom or Bust" pick at the QB position. If you can take that risk in the 3rd...You do it.

28 Games were all under Dooley's 3 years. Dooley was fired last year. In 28 games Bray was 14-14. Not great winning %. But....

540/922 59% 7,444 yds 69 Tds 28 Ints

2012: (12 games) 268/451 59.4% 3,612 yds 34 Tds 12 Ints

Those numbers under a new coaches 3 years who got fired at the end of his 3rd year. Talent? Bum? Dimwit? Headcase? Punk? Blank Card? There will be teams wanting to write his name on a card. More than likely Day 2 of draft. Will the Steelers be the first one? I would support it 100% if it was in the 3rd back. If he "Busts"....So be it. If he "Booms"....He can eat Steak whenever he wants & be a D!ck to the waitress. I wouldn't care. And guess what...Neither would the Steelers if he was winning. Slap on wrist...Go win a championship.
    I've been critical of him but I also posted I wouldn't have a problem drafting him in the 4th... edit post: I thought I said it earlier in the thread but apparently I didn't.

I think the OP used the 2nd and I think that's why most people are saying hell to the no!

I think we have more pressing needs in the 2nd than a clip holding boom or bust QB.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 03-22-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

if I'm not mistaken, bray beat 1 team with a winning record while at UT. That's pathetic.

he was also under center when they lost to kentucky for the 1st time in 30 years. That's even worse.

I've heard a lot of stuff about this kid behind the scenes. I don't want him anywhere near the steelers roster.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I've been critical of him but I also posted I wouldn't have a problem drafting him in the 4th... edit post: I thought I said it earlier in the thread but apparently I didn't.

I think the OP used the 2nd and I think that's why most people are saying hell to the no!

I think we have more pressing needs in the 2nd than a clip holding boom or bust QB.
    I'm not in favor of him in the 2nd So I am with ya on that.