Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers interested in Tennessee QB Tyler Bray?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    And talking to EJ Manuel?

Connect the dots people:

Ben due for a new contract.

Yinzer backup signed for 3 years.

Now fishing around 2nd round QB on a team with 2 average RBs under contract, 1 receiver gone, another half way out the door, and Miller is hurt.

Not hard to figure out why.
    Connect these dots. Ben gets hurt. A lot. QB is the most important position on the team. Having a young, homegrown backup gives you an option if your QB gets hurt. It also gives you a potential trade chip down the road.

The Steelers talked to Cousins last year and didn't draft a QB.

As for Ben's contract, it would be foolish to extend him this year. Flacco, a lesser QB, was just made the highest paid QB in the league. You don't do a lesser deal with Ben in the same year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    When you play at UT you can eat steak every night cooked to your exact specifications...

Heck, regular students can eat as many times as they want in the regular cafeteria's plus they have a million and one options all over campus. Alumni wouldn't let him go hungry let alone his parents.

I can't believe he would say something like that.
    he said it felt.

I just had to laugh. This guy was a total punk from the day he stepped on campus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I guess I am in the minority of wanting this kid drafted. I did watch "highlights" from the Georgia/Tennessee game last year...throwing was off and what not. I do believe, however, that he can be a quality starter in a few years if he takes the Rodgers approach. Get drafted...sit for a few years, learn the offense, fix your mechanics and then become the starter. Roethlisberger doesn't have too many years left in him..get his replacement now and groom him.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wow...Some people think only Choir Boys play in the NFL. Some are naive enough to think only Choir Boys play for the Steelers. "But can he play football?" Just how many times do you think that question is asked after the "bad" is summarized about a prospect. The sky is blue. Water is wet. Football is not for the weak. Girls don't play football. There is a fine line between confident & "A" hole but they both play in the NFL and for the Steelers.

Bray wouldn't be the first kid drafted by the Steelers who reeks of immauturity & he won't be the last. The question of "Will he become a profesional" is what the FO will sort out in the interviews. The answer to the question "But can he play football?" will be answered for all of you come draft day. Who he becomes is up to him.

As far as Bray & the Steelers...It would be a very good situation for both. Another year in school for Bray could have elevated his stock into the 1st. I won't get into the argument of how far because that would have depended on him. I do believe his decision was based on some part of Patterson, Hunter, Thomas, & Rivera entering the draft. He wouldn't be asked to produce early in his career. He can sit at #3 & hold a clipboard. His position coach would work with him and he will learn the NFL game as an observer. He will learn how to be a professional from his team mates & coaches. That being said, do I think the interest is all about Bray? I think they would draft him if he falls further than his grade if they like how he interviewed. I don't think he is a "target" player. What I really think it is about is finding out about Patterson & Hunter. The things that you can't measure. I do believe Patterson would be the pick @ #17 if he falls and Hunter would be a 2nd round consideration. Just all part of the process.

Legend

User Info Menu

JPN, that is just strawman nonsense. No one said choir boys. But, maturity, a love for the game, unselfishness, leadership, mental strength etc should all play a role in drafting a player. If not you become the Bengals.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

even last year bray couldn't call any audibles at the LOS stemming from the fact he didn't know the offense at UT. His OC jim cheney said as much.

look at his numbers vs decent teams in the SEC. They are not very good. He looked decent against tomato cans when all he needed to get by was an advantage in talent. When that gap closed, he folded.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Excellent post, Nasty! How far would Bray drop though, do you think? I thought second round would be appropriate..but someone on here said he would have to be lower to be drafted. Would a third round be okay? If not, then I would have to move on to someone like Landry Jones if we are looking later than that.

Also, I wouldn't be happy if we drafted a wide receiver in the first. We have other needs before a wide receiver (yes..I know we are down to technically 3 for sure wideouts...4 including Sanders)..but there are options in free agency such as:

Darrius Heyward-Bey, Steve Breaston, Lee Evans (not sure).
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Big Ben had a squeaky clean image coming out of Miami of Ohio with 'play for Jesus on his shoes'. How did that work out with his maturity? How did that help the Steelers guage his character? Young people screw up...the real test is seeing if they own up to it and can be fixed. People want to rag Mike Adams for pot but he owned up to it, drove to headquarters and asked for a shot. So far, he has been a model employee.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

This punk won the genetic lottery, that's it. He doesn't have the attitude, work ethic, or drive to be a winner. Hard core UT fans would rather go with an unknown than another year with this guy. Run away from this guy, in the opposite direction, as fast as possible. There will be other, better QBs in the future. No need to take him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    JPN, that is just strawman nonsense. No one said choir boys. But, maturity, a love for the game, unselfishness, leadership, mental strength etc should all play a role in drafting a player. If not you become the Bengals.
    It is only nonsense to you because you don't share the same opinion. Perfectly fine.The kids the Steelers draft aren't always squeaky clean and mature. There is a projection across the board from college to Pros, physically as well as mentally. Some are further along to becoming a professional. The interview process will weed that all out. Bray had all the physical tools to be successful. He needs work and direction in many other areas. When does the light go on? Well..His draft grade reflects just that.

Maturity is an issue. But that doesn't make him undrafted. If the rest were such concerns that would be where he ends up.