Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RuthlessBurgher's Initial Full First Round Mock Draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I actually considered giving the Jets Cordarelle Patterson or Tavon Austin instead of Mingo.

As for Jarvis Jones, my only concern is his age (he'll turn 24 during his rookie season, and the Steelers typically prefer to draft 20 year olds with premium picks...the Steelers may actually prefer someone like Damontre Moore, who is 20 now and will turn 21 during his rookie year). In my mind, Jones laid the USC stenosis concerns to rest with his performance during his years at UGa, and the underwear Olympic numbers are substantially less important to me than his numbers on the actual football field, which have been dominant.
    He dominated against slow footed tackles in the SEC. Take a look at his Florida and Missouri games this year. Now go take a look at his game against Texas A&M. He was stoned constantly in this game.

I would consider him in the 2nd round as a 3-4 ILB. I think he could dominate in that role.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'd still be surprised if he fell to us but this is one of those years where someone really good could fall to us. Do you think the Steelers would pass up Chance Warmack or the tackle to Oklahoma if they were to fall to us?
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    I'd still be surprised if he fell to us but this is one of those years where someone really good could fall to us. Do you think the Steelers would pass up Chance Warmack or the tackle to Oklahoma if they were to fall to us?

I don't think we're taking a guard at 1/17 after re-signing Foster. It'll be WR/Safety/Corner/Tackle.

We don't pass up Johnson if he's there.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    He dominated against slow footed tackles in the SEC. Take a look at his Florida and Missouri games this year. Now go take a look at his game against Texas A&M. He was stoned constantly in this game.

I would consider him in the 2nd round as a 3-4 ILB. I think he could dominate in that role.
    This has to be the first time I have heard a prospect be put down because of the lousy competition in the miserable SEC.

Texas A&M has Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews as their bookend tackles. Joeckel is expected to be the #1 overall pick this year with Matthews likely to come off the board early in the first round next year (not #1, though, because Clowney will be coming out next year).

Putting down Jones because he wasn't able to sack the QB against Joeckel would be like putting down Lawrence Taylor because he didn't get a sack against Anthony Munoz.

The best pass rushers in football typically average about a sack a game in their best seasons (for example, the high water mark for James Harrison was 16 sacks in 15 games in 2008...1.067 sacks per game for Deebo in his best year). Jones had 14.5 sacks in 12 games this year, and 13.5 sacks in 14 games last year. That's 28 sacks in 26 games at Georgia...which comes out ot 1.077 sacks per game in his career in Athens. If even the very best players only average a sack per game, is it surprising when they don't record a sack in their only game against the team with better starting OT's than most NFL teams?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I don't think we're taking a guard at 1/17 after re-signing Foster. It'll be WR/Safety/Corner/Tackle.

We don't pass up Johnson if he's there.
    Lane Johnson? After Joeckel and Fisher both come off the board in the top 5, Johnson could easily be a top 10 pick (and if not, there is no way he falls past San Diego at #11).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.