Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin To Steelers Critics See Us In The Fall Not In March

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    For the same reason that "Cowher's players" come into the discussion...
    tomlin' early success came because of the studs that cowher drafted and developed. as those players got older and more injured, their production fell. the last few years the steeler have been on a downward spiral. tomlin has not been able to replace(draft) and/or develop hardly anybody to replace those aging studs. this team is becoming more and more 'tomlins players'. it is quite apparent that this team is not as talented as last year and the year before and the year before. the team lacks leadership. tomlin has shown he doesnt have the leadership, experience or discipline to take a less than loaded team and win. the organization needs to find players that can do those things that tomlin cant. tomlin will be given the opportunity to coach this team while the front office turns it around. he will be given that chance partly because he deserves it, partly because thats how the steelers operate and another part.

the tomlin lovers act as tho cowher was never criticized when 'his' teams had poor records or underperformed.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    tomlin' early success came because of the studs that cowher drafted and developed.
    ...and led to an 8-8 season.

You can't criticize Tomlin for being "gifted" with a SB team when those same players went 8-8 the year before he was hired...

It makes no sense...

Legend

User Info Menu

You can't criticize Tomlin for being "gifted" with a SB team when those same players went 8-8 the year before he was hired...

It makes no sense...

what about a superbwol hangover? did you use that excuse for cowher the year after the won it? did you for tomlin?
    what about injuries? did you use that excuse for cowher after his 8-8 seasons? did you for tomlin?
    what about the fact his wife was dying? any chance that had something to do with cowhers coaching that superbowl team to 8-8?

Backup

User Info Menu

Cowher was also the simpleton who had Cedrick Wilson starting all season when it was apparent that Santonio Holmes was better.

3-1 down the stretch once Holmes' role in the offense increased.

His wife wasn't dying. She was only diagnosed maybe a year before she did.

Backup

User Info Menu

People have short memories. Cowher's 8-8 team was the same year that Ben had the Bike accident. He also had an emergency appendectomy right before the season started. He then gets a concussion in the Atlanta game. They get off to a bad start because of Ben's issues and he has his worst season of his career.

Also comparing Noll to Tomlin is laughable. Noll took a pathetic team that had never won anything to 4 SB wins and created a dynasty. Tomlin took over a SB caliber team with a franchise QB. The comparison is just idiotic.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Cowher was also the simpleton who had Cedrick Wilson starting all season when it was apparent that Santonio Holmes was better.

3-1 down the stretch once Holmes' role in the offense increased.

His wife wasn't dying. She was only diagnosed maybe a year before she did.
    i agree. i criticized cowher for alot of things. the problem with these tomlin lovers is anytime you criticize the guy, rightaway they mention cowher. we're not talking about cowhers F ups, we're talking about tomlins F' ups

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I don't see where his statement was cocky, all he said was see us in the fall not in March. He didn't proclaim the Steelers will be a super Bowl team, he just said what you see now may not be what you see in the fall is how I took it.
    pretty much...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It makes no sense...
    Well, yes, it can. Let's not forget that Cowher knew he was not coming back in 2007 and so did ALL THE PLAYERS. You do realize how human nature dictates once someone knows they are not coming back to their job? It is fairly dramatic. I am not saying BC - or others who know they are leaving their job - wake up and say "I am not going to try today." But all the little things that lead to winning are reduced. And the players no longer fear for their jobs when they know boss will be gone next year. Add to that, Super Bowl winning teams usually under-perform the season after winning the show. It happened after the 2008 season as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    what about a superbwol hangover? did you use that excuse for cowher the year after the won it? did you for tomlin?
    what about injuries? did you use that excuse for cowher after his 8-8 seasons? did you for tomlin?
    what about the fact his wife was dying? any chance that had something to do with cowhers coaching that superbowl team to 8-8?
    What if Tomlin isn't a better coach than Cowher when it's all said in done. What then? I'm having a hard time understanding the bitching and moaning going on in here. We tanked after going 6-3 with a slew of injuries... if we were healthy it would be a concern but from time to time we go 8-8 or God forbid 7-9.

All Tomlin said was see us in the fall when actual football is being played....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    You make a valid point. I would have preferred a middle ground sort of answer - something less than a cocky one-liner and something more than saying the ship is going down. One of those political non-answer answers.
    I would have preferred something like, "We are facing some challenges but we like this team and we will see what the team looks like come September" or something like that. There is a middle ground between saying, "Oh God, we are so screwed" and "Blah, blah, blah, tough guy talk." "We are going to unleash hell in December." Wet fart material.