Thread: Ramblin' Jim's 2013 Mock Draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ramblin' Jim's 2013 Mock Draft

For those of you that have seen these over the years you know I'm terrible at these. I'm probably picking UDFA talent in round three and second round talent in the 6th. But I'm bored at work and thought I'd put something together.

Off we go:

Round 1 - Jarvis Jones OLB, Georgia. If he falls to us we have to take him right? I mean he's a top 5 talent, if he falls we'd be silly not to pick him. My guess is that he's gone and he throws off my draft entirely. My other pick: Kenny Vaccaro, good safety, we need one for depth this year and to start next. Wouldn't hesitate a second on Chance Warmack either.

Round 2 - Jonathan Cyprien, FS FIU. So this guy may not fall to here either. I'm seeing people talking about his as a 1st rounder now because of the measurables. My guess is that the level of competition takes him down just a tad. The other pick: Keenan Allen, big strong wide receiver.

Round 3 - Aaron Dobson, WR Marshall. Ben wants a big dude to throw the ball to, Dobson's a big dude with some speed. We are short a Wide Receiver and I think this guy meshes well with what we already have here.

Round 4 - Nico Johnson, LB Alabama. Big thumper to play the middle and learn from Foote and next to Timmons. It will be interesting to see how some of the Alabama kids do in the NFL as they will no longer be the "men among boys" like they were in the NCAA's this year.

Round 5 - Zac Dysert, QB Miami. Little Ben? Not sure about that but he coudl come in and hold the clip board for a couple of years and get some work in during blow outs and the pre-seasons.

Round 6 - Cierre Woon, RB Notre Dame. I'm not terribly thrilled with any running back in this draft except Lacy. I also thought Mendenhall was going to be an all-pro. Shows what I know. This guy looks like a good change of pace to the two bruisers we have now, played against good competition, etc.

Round 6a. - Marques Wilson, WR Washingtong State. Who the heck is this guy? He's a 6'3 dude with 4.4 speed is who he is. Measurables alone would put him higher except for the fact that he weighs like 190. Put up really good numbers at Wazzu and could be a fun sleeper for us. We've had some luck in the 6th over the years......

Rond 7 - Vernon Kearney, CB Lane. There is something about me picking stick figures here at the back end of my draft, he's 6'1 has 4.4 speed and weighs, get this 175 according to my information. Now if we are going to spend a draft pick on a project Corner I'd rather just hold on to DVD but for all I know the kids a basket case and not interested in putting in any work.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not bad until Round 6.

We are going to have to get some OL depth sometime in this draft.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wilson walked out on WSU because (he said) the coaching staff was too verbally abusive to him and pushed the players too hard in practice. He will have to grow a set before he makes it in the NFL. He was on pace to break every receiving record at WSU and could have been drafted MUCH higher had he not quit, and he still had his senior year in front of him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I knew there was something up with Wilson b/c his numbers looked good but I couldn't figure out what it was.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ovie, I'm not terribly thrilled with it. I think if I had my way, we'd trade out of the first altogether (unless some freak like Jones falls) and stockpile some picks. I'd love to see two safeties, a receiver, an o-lineman and a running back. Heck, my mental mock draft had the tight end from Notre Dame in it but just couldn't pull that trigger yet. I'll end up doing another one before this is all said and done.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    I knew there was something up with Wilson b/c his numbers looked good but I couldn't figure out what it was.
    Wilson has deceptive speed and makes circus catches. But he also drops easy passes and doesn't block worth a lick. Hard to figure out that guy. Definitely worth a look late in the draft for some team.

Backup

User Info Menu

Silly mock.

Defense is being phased out people. You can't pick three defensive players in 4 picks to sit the bench for 2 years paying their dues in Roger Goodell's NFL.

Offensive speed, offensive playmakers, scoring points.

That needs to be the priority.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    For those of you that have seen these over the years you know I'm terrible at these. I'm probably picking UDFA talent in round three and second round talent in the 6th. But I'm bored at work and thought I'd put something together.

Off we go:

Round 1 - Jarvis Jones OLB, Georgia. If he falls to us we have to take him right? I mean he's a top 5 talent, if he falls we'd be silly not to pick him. My guess is that he's gone and he throws off my draft entirely. My other pick: Kenny Vaccaro, good safety, we need one for depth this year and to start next. Wouldn't hesitate a second on Chance Warmack either.
    Nice pick. I doubt he lasts this long. But he is a fantastic pass rusher who plays well in big games. Only downfall is that he is a little weak at the POA.
    Round 2 - Jonathan Cyprien, FS FIU. So this guy may not fall to here either. I'm seeing people talking about his as a 1st rounder now because of the measurables. My guess is that the level of competition takes him down just a tad. The other pick: Keenan Allen, big strong wide receiver. Love this pick. This kid has good size, coverage skills, and athleticism.
    Round 3 - Aaron Dobson, WR Marshall. Ben wants a big dude to throw the ball to, Dobson's a big dude with some speed. We are short a Wide Receiver and I think this guy meshes well with what we already have here. Dobson has all the tools, but he was always a disappointment at Marshall. I believe another, less talented Marshall WR had much better numbers this past season. Not a good sign.
    Round 4 - Nico Johnson, LB Alabama. Big thumper to play the middle and learn from Foote and next to Timmons. It will be interesting to see how some of the Alabama kids do in the NFL as they will no longer be the "men among boys" like they were in the NCAA's this year. Alabama took him out on passing downs. How will he survive in today's NFL?
    Round 5 - Zac Dysert, QB Miami. Little Ben? Not sure about that but he coudl come in and hold the clip board for a couple of years and get some work in during blow outs and the pre-seasons.I don't mind this pick. Decent value here.
    Round 6 - Cierre Woon, RB Notre Dame. I'm not terribly thrilled with any running back in this draft except Lacy. I also thought Mendenhall was going to be an all-pro. Shows what I know. This guy looks like a good change of pace to the two bruisers we have now, played against good competition, etc. Wood was supplanted this season by Riddick. Woods was the less athletic, slower guy. Not a fan.
    Round 6a. - Marques Wilson, WR Washingtong State. Who the heck is this guy? He's a 6'3 dude with 4.4 speed is who he is. Measurables alone would put him higher except for the fact that he weighs like 190. Put up really good numbers at Wazzu and could be a fun sleeper for us. We've had some luck in the 6th over the years......Is this the guy who accused the coaching staff of abuse and quit the team in the middle of the season?!
    Rond 7 - Vernon Kearney, CB Lane. There is something about me picking stick figures here at the back end of my draft, he's 6'1 has 4.4 speed and weighs, get this 175 according to my information. Now if we are going to spend a draft pick on a project Corner I'd rather just hold on to DVD but for all I know the kids a basket case and not interested in putting in any work.
    i would love to get j.j. See my notes above.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Kenny Vaccaro, good safety
    What is up with EVERYONE thinking this guy is a worthy first round pick? Zero sacks (I know that is not the primary job of a S, but still, it is a splash play), 2 measly picks and everyone thinks this guy is some great play making S? Why? He is nothing special, could easily get a S as good in the 3rd or 4th round. There is one highlight of him jumping over a blocker to hit the QB (and he doesn't even make a sack) and everyone raves about him? I don't see it. A safety worthy of a mid-, first round pick would be one who makes splash plays. This guy isn't it. Polamalu and Ed Reed are the definition of safeties who make big plays; not this guy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

LloydRoid, I see where you are coming from regarding Vaccaro and I think it just depends on where / how you value the safety position. Polamalu and Ed Reed are safeties that come along once every what, ten years? I can't think of a safety on the field today (the kid from Seattle and the kid at KC are both really good) that are game changers like Polamalu and Reed were in their prime. I don't necessarily think that the 1st round pick has to be a game changer, how about a guy that plays solid, helps the team win and has a handful of splash plays a year for ten years? I'd take that.