Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 76

Thread: 5 reasons why losing K Lewis is not a bad thing.

  1. #31
    Backup
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    That being the case, then you have answered your own question about why Lewis started over Cortez Allen....
    But if he thought Allen was the better player to the point they are letting Lewis walk, then he's an idiot for having Allen as a backup for most of the season.

  2. #32
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Worked for Dom Capers in Pittsburgh.
    Really? What rookies started. I see Levon Kirkland sat on the bench under Capers. So did Joel Steed for most of the year. Willie Williams sat on the bench for his first 2 years. I really don't see any difference between the way Capers used his players and LeBeau uses his players. If the guy is good enough to earn his way on the field he plays.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  3. #33
    Backup
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Really? What rookies started. I see Levon Kirkland sat on the bench under Capers. So did Joel Steed for most of the year. Willie Williams sat on the bench for his first 2 years. I really don't see any difference between the way Capers used his players and LeBeau uses his players. If the guy is good enough to earn his way on the field he plays.
    Who said anything about starting? LeBeau's rookies don't see the field hardly at all.

    Kirkland saw spot duty in 1992, hell he played DEFENSIVE LINE in Cowher's first game.

    1993 Chad Brown was a rush end specialist, Deon Figures was the nickel back. Willie Williams also saw time on the field in 1993.

    1994 Brentson Buckner saw action at DT/DE and took over full time when Gerald Williams got hurt. Jason Gildon inherited the rush end role Chad Brown had in 1993 because Brown was a starting ILB in 1994.

    It's not even close. Not only does LeBeau not play his rookies, he and DL coach John Mitchell actually COACH their DL's to be something they weren't in college, thus negating the reasons we drafted them in the first place.
    Last edited by Siggy00; 03-19-2013 at 12:19 AM.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    But if he thought Allen was the better player to the point they are letting Lewis walk, then he's an idiot for having Allen as a backup for most of the season.
    But if he thought Lewis was the better player to the point that they let Gay walk, then he's an idiot for having Lewis as a backup for most of his first three seasons.

    Or, maybe he just thought that neither Lewis nor Allen were quite ready until their respective opportunities came up...

  5. #35
    Backup
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    452
    But if he thought Lewis was the better player to the point that they let Gay walk, then he's an idiot for having Lewis as a backup for most of his first three seasons.
    Absolutely.

    Opportunities my ass. Like my examples above show, it's the mindset of the coaches who run the system.

    This defense is allegedly so hard to know that Darren Perry was a starter the MINUTE we drafted him.

    Capers coaches, LeBeau doesn't.

  6. #36
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Who said anything about starting? LeBeau's rookies don't see the field hardly at all.

    Kirkland saw spot duty in 1992, hell he played DEFENSIVE LINE in Cowher's first game.

    1993 Chad Brown was a rush end specialist, Deon Figures was the nickel back. Willie Williams also saw time on the field in 1993.

    1994 Brentson Buckner saw action at DT/DE and took over full time when Gerald Williams got hurt. Jason Gildon inherited the rush end role Chad Brown had in 1993 because Brown was a starting ILB in 1994.

    It's not even close. Not only does LeBeau not play his rookies, he and DL coach John Mitchell actually COACH their DL's to be something they weren't in college, thus negating the reasons we drafted them in the first place.
    Been saying the same for three years, but it will fall on deaf ears. LeBeau does no wrong.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Absolutely.

    Opportunities my ass. Like my examples above show, it's the mindset of the coaches who run the system.

    This defense is allegedly so hard to know that Darren Perry was a starter the MINUTE we drafted him.

    Capers coaches, LeBeau doesn't.
    Then, your original argument about letting Lewis leave no longer makes sense...

  8. #38
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,466
    I'm not sure why the debate is between Allen and Lewis. To me, that is a moot point.

    The debate SHOULD be, why in the hell do you keep Ike Taylor and pay him 9.4 million? I've heard the argument that the Steelers feel that Ike + Allen > Allen + Lewis. That is incredibly short sighted from an organization standpoint. Ike MIGHT have 1 year left in the tank. There is no way, no how, Ike Taylor is worth over 9 million in the prime of his career let alone towards the end of it.

    I've heard arguments that Lewis doesn't create turnovers... I have to laugh about that. He started for 1 year and played very Taylor-like but he plays the ball better than Ike ever has. Allen might be better at creating turnovers but again, that's not the comparison. The comparison should be the younger, affordable Lewis vs. the old and overpaid Ike Taylor.

    The Steelers would have come close to breaking even with the Ike Cut + the Lewis signing due to dead money. Add to that, you save close to 10.5 MILLION DOLLARS next year because Ike isn't on the books.

  9. #39
    Backup
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Then, your original argument about letting Lewis leave no longer makes sense...
    Sure it does. Makes perfect sense.

    Don't be a blind sheep. Aren't you tired of seeing defensive players earn rookie contracts while doing nothing for years?

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Sure it does. Makes perfect sense.

    Don't be a blind sheep. Aren't you tired of seeing defensive players earn rookie contracts while doing nothing for years?
    Go back and read what you posted. Your argument makes no sense.

    I may be a blind sheep, but I am at least literate...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •