Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The only thing that is a head scratcher is Lewis

Rookie

User Info Menu

Gay is a fine nickel corner....

If Ike or Cortez are injured, I won't be enthused, but Gay works well as the 5th DB...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Not a head scratcher to me, three years to start, couldn't beat out the beloved Gay and then have a decent not good season.
    The two had scratcher to me are
    Recycling Foote again and recycling DJ, instead of these nickel and dime signings they could at least bring in one decent signing.
    How long did Ike take to 'develop'? How many times did he get benched by Cowher?

Lack of turnovers? How about that "turnover machine" Ike Taylor (sarcasm) that will be 33.5 by the start of the season and is due over 9 million? Taylor isn't worth close to that money and people want to complain about keeping Lewis for 3.5 million this year? Cut Ike and signing Lewis would have been close to a wash in regards to the salary cap this year. Next year, it would have freed up ~10.5 million in an overinflated Ike Taylor salary.

Bottom line.... a terrible front office decision. You could have locked up Lewis this year and Allen in the future (probably next year) which would have been a solid #1 and #2 for years to come.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Not complaining...

But, the dead money of Ike Taylor plus the contract of Lewis, would not be, in my opinion, worth it...

Taylor is at least consistent...Lewis has less of a track record than Taylor...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Bad timing. The Steelers felt as though their cap situation did not allow for Lewis...
    not true... as we see, they just made a play for jake long - they can adjust contracts to make the cap work... methinks that THEY think losing him isn't a big deal... that the guy right behind him was pretty dang close... and because of that, they let him go.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    not true... as we see, they just made a play for jake long - they can adjust contracts to make the cap work... methinks that THEY think losing him isn't a big deal... that the guy right behind him was pretty dang close... and because of that, they let him go.
    I can make a play for Kate Upton....that doesn't mean that I have any delusions of being successful...

Backup

User Info Menu

There is the possibility that they were close to signing Lewis. Lewis sent out that mysterious tweet before free agency started that may have indicated this. The steelers probably felt that they could keep one of Harrison or Lewis. In the midst of this, Gay was released by Arizona. They got Gay on the cheap and knew it was a downgrade from Lewis but felt he could shore up the nickel position while promoting Allen.

At this point, they let go of Lewis to roll the dice on Harrison. Deebo wasn't willing to take our offer in a pay cut. I think that if they knew that deebo wasn't going to work out, they would have made a stronger play on Lewis.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The fact that they didn't make Lewis and offer tells me there was more to Lewis than we know. Lewis may have told the Steelers in his end of year meetings he wanted to go elsewhere. Lewis may have been part of the "Bad Apple" crew given his relationship with Wallace. We may never know. I think from a football standpoint on paper he made the Steelers better at CB but he may have been part of what was broken from a professional standpoint. Egos & attitudes always have a way of hurting team talent. If this was the case, I guess I will trust the Steelers decisions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    There is the possibility that they were close to signing Lewis. Lewis sent out that mysterious tweet before free agency started that may have indicated this. The steelers probably felt that they could keep one of Harrison or Lewis. In the midst of this, Gay was released by Arizona. They got Gay on the cheap and knew it was a downgrade from Lewis but felt he could shore up the nickel position while promoting Allen.

At this point, they let go of Lewis to roll the dice on Harrison. Deebo wasn't willing to take our offer in a pay cut. I think that if they knew that deebo wasn't going to work out, they would have made a stronger play on Lewis.
    I believe Lewis's Tweet was a response to the information his agent returned from the combine with. Lewis's agent found out the level of interest from NO. Lewis had a spot in his heart playing for his hometown team.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I believe Lewis's Tweet was a response to the information his agent returned from the combine with. Lewis's agent found out the level of interest from NO. Lewis had a spot in his heart playing for his hometown team.
    That is very much a possibility. And, I'm throwing out a scenario where we may have been concentrating efforts on retaining Lewis. I'm seeing a lot of posts accusing the FO of making no effort to do so. We just don't know how it went down. With all of the juggling going on, there is certainly timing and risk taking that takes place in who to offer what at what time knowing that you can't keep all of the pieces (yeah, I know, from an 8-8 team )

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe just maybe the Steelers will trade Ike and another player for Revis ( big hopes) who they wanted the year that he came out. Lol
    But not to hijack this thread but who really think Revis want out of NY more than he want a new contract.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]