Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers, Packers interested in Ahmad Bradshaw

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    No, you don't draft the 'change of pace guy'. You draft a young eventual feature back caliber RB because Dwyer or Bradshaw or both can't carry the load and will be injured. Both Bradshaw and Dwyer can catch the ball on 3rd down, thats all you need. How much have you seen the Steelers use a 'chage of pace back'? They had that midget we let go to Detroit and Rainey and neither barely saw the field so it would be a wasted roster spot.
    "Change of Pace Guy" doesn't de-classify him as an eventual feature back. The Steelers "Change of Pace Guy" would be a RB who could threaten the edge. "Change of Pace Guy" isn't a 3rd down back...Did you see me say that? If Bradshaw is signed, he & Dwyer do not threaten the edge. There is more to football strategy than what is played between the lines...It is also in the classroom. When you have two different style backs, it makes the DC game plan against both. When you have that "gimmick" guy...That is another that has to be planned for. If the Steelers come out in 21 or 22 personel and you show that gimmick guy in the slot that is alot to plan for. You won't fool anyone with lining up & running betwen the tackles with bangers. They won't be threatened on the edge...The DC will DARE you to try.

We haven't see the Steelers use a change of pace guy because we haven't had one. Since this is Haley's offense & he was brought here to run better...You go to his days with the Chiefs. What was Haley's formula? Thomas Jones (Banger), Jamaal Charles (Change of Pace), & Dexter McCluster (Gimmick). If Charles didn't go down in 2011 we could have really seen a 2 year of body of work. The Chiefs didn't have BB so one can only imagine what a running game of that caliber would do with a QB. It shouldn't be a surprise...They went after Rainey last year..Haley went for that type of player again.

Logan was a returner he wasn't a gimmick guy. I think he got 1 reception as a Steeler & didn't rush at all. Rainey barely saw the field? Do you watch the games? He was that "Gimmick" guy. A KR/PR/RB/WR...The definition. 26 carries, 14 receptions, 42 KR/PR....1,213 All purpose yards on 82 touches. Not bad for a rookie 5th round pick.

None would be a wasted roster spot. Just throwing in names...Bradshaw (Feature), Dwyer (Rotation), Spencer Ware-Rex Burkhead-Cameron Marshall-(Short yardage), Cierre Wood-Ray Graham (Change of Pace), & Onterio McCalleb (Gimmick KR/PR/RB/WR). That list last year was Mendy, Dwyer, Redman, Batch, & Rainey. That list was a disappointment. Mendy is gone. Rainey is gone. Redman will be 29...We have seen what Redman has to offer. Both he & Dwyer will make 1.3 mil...They can be replaced cheaper. Batch is a great person but below average RB. If Dwyer is in shape and shows dedication...I have absolutley no probelm with him being the only face left. He will be 24 in camp. Now you have a YOUNG stable featured by a productive vet. Future is bright.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    "Change of Pace Guy" doesn't de-classify him as an eventual feature back. The Steelers "Change of Pace Guy" would be a RB who could threaten the edge. "Change of Pace Guy" isn't a 3rd down back...Did you see me say that? If Bradshaw is signed, he & Dwyer do not threaten the edge. There is more to football strategy than what is played between the lines...It is also in the classroom. When you have two different style backs, it makes the DC game plan against both. When you have that "gimmick" guy...That is another that has to be planned for. If the Steelers come out in 21 or 22 personel and you show that gimmick guy in the slot that is alot to plan for. You won't fool anyone with lining up & running betwen the tackles with bangers. They won't be threatened on the edge...The DC will DARE you to try.

We haven't see the Steelers use a change of pace guy because we haven't had one. Since this is Haley's offense & he was brought here to run better...You go to his days with the Chiefs. What was Haley's formula? Thomas Jones (Banger), Jamaal Charles (Change of Pace), & Dexter McCluster (Gimmick). If Charles didn't go down in 2011 we could have really seen a 2 year of body of work. The Chiefs didn't have BB so one can only imagine what a running game of that caliber would do with a QB. It shouldn't be a surprise...They went after Rainey last year..Haley went for that type of player again.

Logan was a returner he wasn't a gimmick guy. I think he got 1 reception as a Steeler & didn't rush at all. Rainey barely saw the field? Do you watch the games? He was that "Gimmick" guy. A KR/PR/RB/WR...The definition. 26 carries, 14 receptions, 42 KR/PR....1,213 All purpose yards on 82 touches. Not bad for a rookie 5th round pick.

None would be a wasted roster spot. Just throwing in names...Bradshaw (Feature), Dwyer (Rotation), Spencer Ware-Rex Burkhead-Cameron Marshall-(Short yardage), Cierre Wood-Ray Graham (Change of Pace), & Onterio McCalleb (Gimmick KR/PR/RB/WR). That list last year was Mendy, Dwyer, Redman, Batch, & Rainey. That list was a disappointment. Mendy is gone. Rainey is gone. Redman will be 29...We have seen what Redman has to offer. Both he & Dwyer will make 1.3 mil...They can be replaced cheaper. Batch is a great person but below average RB. If Dwyer is in shape and shows dedication...I have absolutley no probelm with him being the only face left. He will be 24 in camp. Now you have a YOUNG stable featured by a productive vet. Future is bright.
    No, I don't watch the games, I watch the Bills play American Football.....

Piss off man....you don't create a 'category' for every ability of every back. My point was give me a RB that can run between the tackles, take it outside, and stay on the field for 3rd down. Change of pace back, for us, has been the 'gimmick' guy and that is what I am referring to. Give me one back that is the feature back that can run inside, take it off the edge, and catch. That was my point.
    @_Hellgrammite

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The injuries on the O-Line, specifically Colon, killed the Steelers' run game in 2012...

Colon was a good run blocker at LG and was coming into his own before the injury...the Steelers backs at that time lent themselves to running between the tackles...neither Dwyer nor Redman are guys that can consistently go outside the tackles...Rainey supposedly had the speed to do so, but was also inconsistent...
    Yeah Rainey was inconsistent. Like it was his fault that Haley never ran him wide.

Good God.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I like this quote:

Ben Roethlisberger shows time and time again how good of a passer he is. But with his improvement, the Steelers steered away from what made them so successful – punishing offensive line, punishing running game, orchestrated by Roethlisberger, instead of him taking the team into another direction, which possibly glorifies him as a quarterback, but doesn’t bring with it too many wins.
    Absolute garbage. Passing early, then running late, is why they won games.

And suckers like you Slap buy the romanced BS of the past.

Yeah they didn't win enough. 2 AFC titles, another ring, and back to back seasons of 12+ wins for the first time in their history since 2007.

Then the golf coach with connections showed up and they went 8-8.

That quote defines Drew Brees and Eli Manning a helluva lot more than it defines Ben Roethlisberger.
    Last edited by Siggy00; 03-28-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    No, I don't watch the games, I watch the Bills play American Football.....

Piss off man....you don't create a 'category' for every ability of every back. My point was give me a RB that can run between the tackles, take it outside, and stay on the field for 3rd down. Change of pace back, for us, has been the 'gimmick' guy and that is what I am referring to. Give me one back that is the feature back that can run inside, take it off the edge, and catch. That was my point.
    Internet tuff guy...Confident response from afar. Hurt your feelings or your Vagina? Weak Spanky.

It is called a "role". When you learn more about football...Things will become clearer for you. Having different abilities at the skill positions creates complexity in gameplans & defensive execution on the field. Of course it would be GREAT to get that unique animal that can do it all. When did the Steelers have that last? If it was so easy we wouldn't be in this problem. If you can't get it in one you have to fill all roles. There is no Peterson in this draft. Even the highest rated RB Lacy won't give you what you are looking for.

Legend

User Info Menu

Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏@AKinkhabwala"

Told Steelers brass would really like to sign RB Ahmad Bradshaw. Can say this: one of the toughest players I've been around

[URL]https://twitter.com/NFLAlumniNYNJ/status/317316270649393152[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Internet tuff guy...Confident response from afar. Hurt your feelings or your Vagina? Weak Spanky.

It is called a "role". When you learn more about football...Things will become clearer for you. Having different abilities at the skill positions creates complexity in gameplans & defensive execution on the field. Of course it would be GREAT to get that unique animal that can do it all. When did the Steelers have that last? If it was so easy we wouldn't be in this problem. If you can't get it in one you have to fill all roles. There is no Peterson in this draft. Even the highest rated RB Lacy won't give you what you are looking for.
    Look man, you jumped down my throat over a non issue. I said we didn't need a 'change of pace back', just as i don't think we need a goal line back, a specific 3rd down back, or a specific gimmick back. And for the record saying 'piss off' was meant as a basic 'get out of town' type statement....not sure how that correlates to 'internet tough guy'....sounds like you are the one itching to start an argument or get into it with someone....'you watch football, you need to learn football'....its ridiculous.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Ahmad Bradshaw could work on deal with Steelers

By Dan Hanzus
    Around the League Writer
    Published: March 28, 2013

The moment of truth has arrived for Ahmad Bradshaw.

NFL.com's Aditi Kinkhabwala reported that Bradshaw is getting a physical from Pittsburgh Steelers doctors on Thursday. If everything checks out -- which is no certainty -- Pittsburgh will make an attempt to sign the free-agent running back, according to a source apprised of the visit.

Bradshaw was a productive player during his six-year run with the New York Giants, but durability concerns make him a risky play for teams looking for backfield stability. Coming off his latest foot surgery, Bradshaw opted not to meet with teams during the early part of free agency.

Bradshaw, 27, has undergone three known surgeries on his right foot, as well as procedures on his left foot and both ankles.

The source told Kinkhabwala there isn't a huge market for Bradshaw at this time. If he can't get a deal done with the Steelers, he could struggle to find work in the immediate future.

A healthy Bradshaw would be a welcome fit for a Steelers offense that ranked 26th in rushing last season. An opening was created in the backfield when Rashard Mendenhall signed with the Arizona Cardinals in free agency.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154964/article/ahmad-bradshaw-could-work-on-deal-with-steelers[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏@AKinkhabwala"

Told Steelers brass would really like to sign RB Ahmad Bradshaw. Can say this: one of the toughest players I've been around

[URL]https://twitter.com/NFLAlumniNYNJ/status/317316270649393152[/URL]
    Seems like he would be a great addition. Whether he provides a "change of pace" or is a "do it all" guy, I'm not sure. If the play is designed and executed well and the defense can't stop it when they know its coming, I'll take it.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

As long as the deal is reasonable - maybe add plenty of incentives to account for the injury risk - this could be a nice pickup.

An added benefit - Bradshaw was released, so for comp pick purposes, he does not factor into the equation, preserving the 3 comp picks the Steelers are likely to receive in the 2014 draft.