Thread: Steelers Takin Unfair Hits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Willie Colon's $29 million deal might look terrible now, but how could anyone have predicted his body would fall apart?
    Ahem...I didn't predict his body would fall apart, but I did say I didn't think it was wise to offer such a large contract to a player who up to that point, in my opinion, had not been all that great.

I was also critical of the large deal given to LaMarr Woodley.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Ahem...I didn't predict his body would fall apart, but I did say I didn't think it was wise to offer such a large contract to a player who up to that point, in my opinion, had not been all that great.

When then you screwed up not making that known to the Rooney's. Pretty piss poor performance on you as a fan
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Before Pouncey was drafted the Steelers considered Colon to be their best O-lineman maybe that had somethingto do with his contract. Then they asked him to switch from RT to LG this past season. He had some rough times but was beginning to get better as the season rolled on until the injuries put him out of action. He was playing with a bad knee to begin with if you noticed the brace he was wearing.

With Woodley I tend to agree, and was surprised they gave him that much money. My guess is another team would of paid him that amount and the Steelers didn't want to lose a talented OLB. The injuries killed him just like many other Steelers, maybe we get a healthy Lamar in 2013 and he's back to form and in shape.
    We need the playmaker Lamar this coming season more than ever, when he's on he's damn good, maybe Woodley earns that big payday in 2013 we sure could use some QB pressure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Before Pouncey was drafted the Steelers considered Colon to be their best O-lineman maybe that had somethingto do with his contract. Then they asked him to switch from RT to LG this past season. He had some rough times but was beginning to get better as the season rolled on until the injuries put him out of action. He was playing with a bad knee to begin with if you noticed the brace he was wearing.

With Woodley I tend to agree, and was surprised they gave him that much money. My guess is another team would of paid him that amount and the Steelers didn't want to lose a talented OLB. The injuries killed him just like many other Steelers, maybe we get a healthy Lamar in 2013 and he's back to form and in shape.
    We need the playmaker Lamar this coming season more than ever, when he's on he's damn good, maybe Woodley earns that big payday in 2013 we sure could use some QB pressure.
    Woodley is the key to the defense this season. If he can get double digit sacks then that will open opportunities for Worilds from the other side. If he has less than 12 then we will struggle unless they turn Timmons loose on more blitzes which they absolutely should do from multiple places on the defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that every player we cut and let walk is cap space we have in the future for a player like Pouncey. Pouncey will probably demand the salary of the highest paid Center in the NFL and we need to start clearing the cap space for that contract now.

Fans may not like the plan, but I'm confident the Front Office has a plan they are executing. That is why they cut Harrison and didn't try to resign Lewis. IMO, the emphasis is shifting from the defense to the offense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    IMO, the emphasis is shifting from the defense to the offense.
    Strange they wait 9 years into Ben's career to realize you build around your franchise QB.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Strange they wait 9 years into Ben's career to realize you build around your franchise QB.
    strange, the way the did it before got them 3 SB appearances and 2 wins.

(and let's not forget that the two 1st round picks following Ben were Heath and Santonio...weapons provided to build around their franchise QB.)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    strange, the way the did it before got them 3 SB appearances and 2 wins.

(and let's not forget that the two 1st round picks following Ben were Heath and Santonio...weapons provided to build around their franchise QB.)
    And how has that offensive line been, the one mentioned here that drew my comment?
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Before Pouncey was drafted the Steelers considered Colon to be their best O-lineman
    I kept hearing that...but from watching the games, honestly, I never could see it. I never saw him being that great at right tackle, and while he may have been starting to come on at guard, how did he ever really show himself to be worthy of big money?

With Woodley I tend to agree, and was surprised they gave him that much money. My guess is another team would of paid him that amount and the Steelers didn't want to lose a talented OLB.
    Maybe...or maybe the Steelers didn't evaluate well and overpaid. He always seemed to be sort of one-dimensional, more so than Harrison, and IMO, would have been easier to replace.

The injuries killed him just like many other Steelers, maybe we get a healthy Lamar in 2013 and he's back to form and in shape.
    Hopefully he's gotten the message and is working on it...and isn't the D's version of Colon, good for only a few games a season.

I wonder how much of the "on" Lamarr was the result of better play in front of and around him. In other words, I don't know if he's a guy who can help carry the team as much as a guy who excels only when everyone around him is doing well. Like you, I hope he's the former....because after re-working his contract again, I think we're stuck with him for a few more years.

Rookie

User Info Menu

He was never good enough to get a deal like that to begin with.