Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers Takin Unfair Hits

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Woodley was coming off of 3 great years when he signed his new contract - 13.5, 11.5, and 10 sack seasons, including great performances in the playoffs. The contract he signed was not an issue at the time.

He came in the next season with his new money and started tearing it up. 9 sacks in the first 8 games, and then the injuries started and have plagued him for the past 1.5 seasons.

Looking back at that contract as a mistake is silly. At the time it was a great signing. ~10 million a year for one of the league's best sack artists, and a guy with consistent production.

Pass rushing DE's make more than that. There are 9 DE's with higher average/yr salaries. Woodley is still the 3rd highest average LB, but at the time he was also one of the best and rightly set the market price for a stud pass rushing OLB.

Don't let the injuries affect the hindsight 20/20 vision with this one. That was a good signing.
    Playing OLB is more than just getting sacks. Is it worth it to pay that big a contract to a one-dimensional LB, who often disappears on the field for long stretches at a time, who tends to begin the season out of shape and out of sync, and expects to play his way into shape? That's what we did with Woodley. Hope he turns it around, but he's got a lot of ground to make up, especially after the past two seasons.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The issue isn't cap management. It's player procurement. If the Steelers have opened themselves to criticism, it's in the draft room, not the boardroom.
    Finally, some mainstream media is admitting/discussing that Pgh has NOT been drafting all that well, even though they arrogantly walk around acting as if they are still the draft gurus. This just in: YOU AIN'T. They have had mostly garbage drafts since 2008.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Those same media experts swear that the Patriots draft so well but tell me how they draft have been coming the last 5 - 8 years.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Ahem...I didn't predict his body would fall apart, but I did say I didn't think it was wise to offer such a large contract to a player who up to that point, in my opinion, had not been all that great.

I was also critical of the large deal given to LaMarr Woodley.
    He was never good enough to get a deal like that to begin with.

Legend

User Info Menu

like i've been saying all along, our drafts have sucked since tomlin become involved

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Finally, some mainstream media is admitting/discussing that Pgh has NOT been drafting all that well, even though they arrogantly walk around acting as if they are still the draft gurus. This just in: YOU AIN'T. They have had mostly garbage drafts since 2008.
    Please show me some evidence of Steeler Front Office or coaches acting arrogant about their draft picks. I have never seen any evidence to confirm that.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Please show me some evidence of Steeler Front Office or coaches acting arrogant about their draft picks. I have never seen any evidence to confirm that.
    That is what we refer to as a "straw man"...note the irony...