Thread: TE Dennis Pitta

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

TE Dennis Pitta

Some folks are talking about Ertz or Eiffert as options for the Steelers. As a different option, would Dennis Pitta be worth the 2nd round tender the Rats put on him? 61 catches or 669 yds and 7 TD. Just curious what it would take contract wise.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just to throw in the comparison, Heath had 71 catches for 816 yards and 8 TD. Pitta was targeted 93 times to Heath targeted 101 times. I'd do a second round pick for a veteran TE with that sort of production.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Anything that lessens Dennis Johnson's chances of making the team is good with me.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Heath + Pitta would be a pretty gnarly TE combo and Pitta + Spaeth would hold us over till Heath can play.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't believe the Steelers would give up a second round pick plus pay more for Pitta in the process, when they could get a talented Eifert at half the cost. We recently signed Spaeth, and have Paulson, Johnson for some depth until heath returns, so I don't think they would rush to sign Pitta unless they knew Heath couldn't return.

Outside of Heath, the TE's we have are stop gaps, thats why I see the Steelers drafting a top TE if he's there when we select, Eifert IMO is the only one worth taking early. At some point we'll need an upgrade at that positon, Heath is getting up there and his salary may impact what the Steelers may do in the future. I don't know if the Steelers consider TE as a value pick right now, but I would hate to see them pass on Eifert, I like the thought of him lining up opposite Heath.

We seen how valuable the TE is when Heath was involved more in the offense this past year, having two threats in my mind would make our Haley run offense better.
    Look at New England with the success they have with their TE's, something we might want to consider especially in the type of offense Haley runs.

Starter

User Info Menu

Pitta is a good proven TE--and he'll be too expensive for us to sign away from the Ratbirds. Keep the #2 and hope the TEs fall to our spot, because at least we'll have them at a good price for 4-5 years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Strictly as a fan, I don't like to entertain buying/selling among the division rival. That being said, this team needs to look at all avenues to improve a sinking ship. Pitta? I don't know enough to make a statement one way or the other.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Never gonna happen b/c we'll never give him any numbers that the Ravens can't match!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Anything that lessens Dennis Johnson's chances of making the team is good with me.
    Dennis Johnson was a Arkansas Razorback.. You mean David Johnson

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Some folks are talking about Ertz or Eiffert as options for the Steelers. As a different option, would Dennis Pitta be worth the 2nd round tender the Rats put on him? 61 catches or 669 yds and 7 TD. Just curious what it would take contract wise.
    If the Steelers didn't have so many holes to fill it wouldn't be a terrible idea. They need all the draft picks they can get.