Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colbert

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Colbert

Is Kevin Colbert the guy we want in charge of rebuilding this team into a championship caliber club? It has become clear to me that Cowher was the man making the draft decisions that built our Superbowl teams. When Tomlin took over there was one weakness on the team and that was the OL. Now there are more holes than answers.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

IDK, it is starting to appear obvious that whoever is calling the draft shots, is doing a horrible job. I have illustrated how horrid the last 5 years have been a few times already. And being that this team does very little through free agency, if your drafts stink we will end up in a world of hurt. We are quickly becoming the 1999-2012 Browns. And these free agent signings? Dear Holy mother of God. They are adding KNOWN bums. The Yinzers can claim the sky isn't falling, and everything will be fine, but so far, I don't see it. Matt Speath? Johnson? WTF are these guys thinking? 6-10 here we come.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cowher had a say but you're giving him to much credit. If Cowher would have had his way, the Steelers would have passed on Ben. Thank God Rooney stepped in or we would still be stuck on 4 titles, IMO.

Backup

User Info Menu

We are going in the wrong direction.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You guys act like Johnson and Spaeth were brought in to be our starters.

I get it, if you guys were GMs all of your backups would be All Pros.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You guys are a bunch of sheep. If the drafting is so "terrible" why are you so upset that they are all getting signed away by other teams?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post

Who is our starting TE? Who is our starting RB? Who plays SS when Troy goes down again? What capable OLB now backs up oft injured Worilds & Woodley? What capable ILB now backs up Timmons & Foote?

I love the go to comment that is always thrown out the to discredit someone saying Cowher wasn't the man making the draft calls...He would not of taken Ben. That is one call out of how many? We are dropping multiple first round picks on 3-4 DE's!!!!
    @_Hellgrammite

Backup

User Info Menu

Colbert works with the HC to find players that fit the coaches vision of the team. Scouts also have some input. But the HC has a ton of say. This happened after the Donahoe/ Cowher blow up. That fundamentally changed the way the Steelers invisioned their FO. Cowher did very well drafting with the exception of his stubburn "I don't need no stinkin' QB" draft habits. Tomlin has had a ton of input on the draft as you can see with the drafting of Timmons as his very first pick. Timmons was Tomlin's pick all the way. So I hold the HC a bit more responsible for the drafting than Colbert right now. The past few drafts have blown chunks. Especially when it comes to finding dominant players. Yes, they have found some good quality players but not guys that other teams worry about or that can take over a game.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post

No, that's not it. What you would prefer, with SOME of your back ups is to have some players with HOPE of an upside. They have added/signed ONLY players who have no upside to develop into quality starters. And this is an 8-8 team, meaning, there is plenty of room for upgrades; it's not as if all our starters are pro bowl players, so the back ups should have a CHANCE at developing into starters, like, say, a young James Harrison.

So, who have they added/signed with potential upside? Foote? No. Gay? No. Johnson? No. Speath? Hellz to the no. They are adding older dudes who we KNOW will never be very good. Brilliant work, guys. Way to reduce this team to the Browns.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Colbert works with the HC to find players that fit the coaches vision of the team. Scouts also have some input. But the HC has a ton of say. This happened after the Donahoe/ Cowher blow up. That fundamentally changed the way the Steelers invisioned their FO. Cowher did very well drafting with the exception of his stubburn "I don't need no stinkin' QB" draft habits. Tomlin has had a ton of input on the draft as you can see with the drafting of Timmons as his very first pick. Timmons was Tomlin's pick all the way. So I hold the HC a bit more responsible for the drafting than Colbert right now. The past few drafts have blown chunks. Especially when it comes to finding dominant players. Yes, they have found some good quality players but not guys that other teams worry about or that can take over a game.
    How many draft picks do we average a year? 7? 8? Since 2007, how many quality players have they drafted? (And don't give me this crap about being a play off each year makes finding good players impossible because we draft lower. Maybe you could apply that to how great the first round pick is, but you have 7 picks X 5, 35 picks.) Out of those 35 picks, how many quality players did they find? Hey, certainly not expecting for them to have found 35 good players, but how about more than 6? Should they have not found at least 15 pretty good players in that span? We will now be having to face reality after so many bad draft classes. It is pathetic.