Thread: I thought we were going to get younger as a team?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I thought we were going to get younger as a team?

With Sanders maybe moving on Cotchery and Plax round out our receiver corps.
    Cotchery is a 10 year player and Plax 12 years in the league, so I hope the intention of the Steelers is to draft 2 WR's instead of bringing in a FA who adds to the age list.

It appears the Steelers will have to do MORE with less as we lose players on the offense, I would prefer we get some playmakers in here @ WR through the draft and let them play or at least get playing time early in their career.

Legend

User Info Menu

Would not be surprised if the Steelers drafted 2 WRs. But then, there are so many needs on this team right now.

Starter

User Info Menu

Always good to have some experience mixed in with your "camp bodies". WR's can be overrated--there are a lot of late rounders that end up better than the early guys. Three things you need to do as a NFL receiver: 1)run good routes and get open; 2) have reliable hands; 3) block when asked. Many of the great athletes/early picks don't have one or two of these traits, and they're often prima donnas. Give me a couple hungry hard-working football players at WR and we'll do fine. A. Melette in 5th and R. Spadola as an UDFA.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The only thing that bothers me this offseason is our depth issues. WR is a question mark with or without Sanders. RB is a question mark with or without all three of the backs from last year (and mendy is def gone).

Legend

User Info Menu

Doesn't have to be a WR. TES and RBs can catch the ball to. That is the key to Haley's offense versus Arians. Arians was almost totally WR focused where Haley is more diverse. That is why I think Eifert would be such a great pick for the team. Get Eifert in Round 1 and a young WR in Round 3 or 4.

To be honest, I think there is a method to the madness. Taking away Ben's fixation for looking for the big downfield throw may make him an even better QB and the offense even better. May not please those fixated on highlights but in terms of efficiency it may be exactly what the doctor ordered.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 03-17-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ovi, I see your point there. Doesn't really make sense to bring DJ back though. Or Spaeth. Though MS was supposed to be a good pass catching guy in college. I like the idea of a TE In R1. I dont really see any "No Brainers" in this draft.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Doesn't have to be a WR. TES and RBs can catch the ball to. That is the key to Haley's offense versus Arians. Arians was almost totally WR focused where Haley is more diverse. That is why I think Eifert would be such a great pick for the team. Get Eifert in Round 1 and a young WR in Round 3 or 4.

To be honest, I think there is a method to the madness. Taking away Ben's fixation for looking for the big downfield throw may make him an even better QB and the offense even better. May not please those fixated on highlights but in terms of efficiency it may be exactly what the doctor ordered.
    I always said a TE can be just as valuable as a receiver maybe even moreso in Haley's offense. You make a point there Ovi about the downfield throw especially in Haley's offense. It won't mean Ben won't talk a shot now and then but probably less than we seen in the past without Wallace. Brown still has that capability and speed though, so we'll have to wait and see, Ben may still be tempted knowing him.

We may actually have the perfect set of receivers to fit the system, with Plax, Heath, and possibly a TE like Eifert rounding out the Red zone targets
    Something I would like to see is More pass plays to the RB, I thought Mendenhall wasn't used enough in that sense, he could of had more impact if they would of utilized him more in that fashion.
    The more you can diversify the offense the better it could be, not only moving the chains but keeping it balanced and the opposition guessing.
    How many times did we watch a game and guess 90% of the time what play was going to get called? That has to change, I mean if we know, that defense probably ups that 90 to 98 %.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We are getting younger, with the signing of Foote, DJ and Spaeth. Also with the departure of Wallace and Mendy. OHHH wait we are getting older and slower. The front office is a joke it's the worst I have seen it in 30yrs of being a fan!
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Overreact much?
    Some of you people are mental

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

Ben going for the big play, off of broken plays, is deeply ingrained in his DNA. How many plays are from Ben pulling the ball down and WR just running to get open? I don't know if that will ever stop. He has made a career out of it, and I don't see him changing very much. That is probably the biggest source of frustration between he and Haley.