Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst all-time free agent signings in Pgh

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Worst all-time free agent signings in Pgh

[url]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1559934-the-biggest-free-agency-busts-in-pittsburgh-steelers-history?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newslette r&utm_campaign=pittsburgh-steelers[/url]

10. Cedrick Wilson - Really? He never did much, but he didn't cost much and he wasn't a total bum. This guy didn't even come to mind when I think of bad Pgh FA signings.

9. Duce Staley - I NEVER liked this signing. I knew he was washed up. How could I know but not the Steelers? Sometimes I really wonder if they are all drunk with some of their decisions.

8. Len Pope - Haley's pet player. 3 catches? He got such little action that when he did catch a pass I never knew who it was.

7. Travis Davis - Who? As much as I follow the Steelers, I don't even recall this dude.

6. Kent "Franken-Graham" - Now this one I remember. He was just horrible. Wore cinder blocks for shoes. Nice decision making there, front office.

5. Quincy Morgan - Huh, this guy never comes to mind when I am thinking of Pgh FA busts. I thought he added something to the team - he had speed, could hit you deep. I know he didn't have that many catches but I don't consider him a total bust either.

4. Todd Peterson - He's a kicker. <shrugs shoulders>

3. Donnell Woolford - Now this guy does come to mind. He was a mess. DUI. Drunk. Was awful. Very poor signing.

2. Jay Riemersma - I thought this guy still had something left; he was a good TE with the Bills. But, he must have been washed up. For Pgh, he was a fairly high profile FA. But, he did nothing.

1. Sean Mahan - I always forget this guy was even on the team. He had the nice combination of being weak AND slow I believe this was our first taste of Tomlin as a talent evaluator. This guy came from Tampa, as did Tomlin, so this was probably his call. Way to go, Mike. You sure stink at player evaluation.

Who is missing from this list? What about Leftwich? Brent Alexander? Dewayne Washington? David Woodley? Todd Blackledge? Come on. Quincy Morgan is a FA bust but not Woodely or Blackledge? Sean Mahan is the #1 worst FA signing ever in Pgh? Bleacher Report.

Backup

User Info Menu

That's a stupid list. He's not even close.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Wow. If those are the worst busts in FA, then the Steelers have done pretty damn well...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Wow. If those are the worst busts in FA, then the Steelers have done pretty damn well...
    That, or, they barely ever sign any significant free agents to begin with. They have hit on a few, including Jeff Hartings, Kimo, Farrior, Clark, Gary Anderson and Harrison.

Backup

User Info Menu

My top 10 in no order.

Woolford, Biasucci, Newberry, Nolan Harrison, Bernard Dafney, Rohn Stark, Ed Toner, Travis Davis, Johnnie Barnes, Anthony Brown.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    My top 10 in no order.

Woolford, Biasucci, Newberry, Nolan Harrison, Bernard Dafney, Rohn Stark, Ed Toner, Travis Davis, Johnnie Barnes, Anthony Brown.
    I haven't even heard of most of those guys, other than Woolford and Newberry.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If its acquisitions I would easily put Leftwich on that list. We even gave up a draft pick to bring him back and he was hurt within 3 quarters of stepping on the field every time he played.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Sean Mahan was so bad you could put Chris Rainey at center and not much difference between the two.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    My top 10 in no order.

Tom Newberry wasn't an All Pro but the Steelers went to a Superbowl with him at RG.

But the 1st person that came to my mind when I saw this thread was WOOLFORD b/c they let WOODSON go and he came in as did NOTHING
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Tom Newberry wasn't an All Pro but the Steelers went to a Superbowl with him at RG.

But the 1st person that came to my mind when I saw this thread was WOOLFORD b/c they let WOODSON go and he came in as did NOTHING
    Not true. He was pretty good at drunk driving. Woolford did have some good years in Chicago, but by the time he came to Pgh he was worthless.