Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Matt Spaeth has signed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe Spaeth will be a decent TE for us...this is the second positive review I have seen on Spaeth...

If there was a positive at the position it was Matt Spaeth. Signed as chiefly a blocker, Spaeth was PFF’s seventh-rated tight end and caught six of the nine passes thrown to him, one for a score (vs. Minnesota). Spaeth played fewer than half the snaps (430) of Davis (980) but graded out as the top run-blocking tight end in the NFL.

[URL]http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/bears-talk/bears-te-free-agency-preview[/URL]
    @_Hellgrammite

Backup

User Info Menu

And Miller missed 2 more games two years later and Spaeth did nothing. Two decent games in 6 years isn't much to go on. If you look at those two decent games ALL of his catches are run in the middle of the field and turn around catches. He was playing against a zone defense and just sat down. That's why he averages 7.2 YPC while Miller averages 11.5. That's over 4 more YPC for Miller. He isn't a very good blocker either. With this OL Miller has to stay in and help block more. You need TEs that can block or the play calling becomes predictable. Just like when the Steelers would bring in Rainey. It fooled no one.

Spaeth is camp fodder and a depth signing nothing more. The Steelers do this every year. They bring in players that bring depth and it allows them to pick the BAP in the draft instead of focusing on needs.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Spaeth is camp fodder and a depth signing nothing more. The Steelers do this every year. They bring in players that bring depth and it allows them to pick the BAP in the draft instead of focusing on needs.
    This= $$

Who knows, maybe he beats out Paulson? Either way, I don't think the team is relying on him to be "the man."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You know how sad Madden is? In order for me to get Spaeth back onto the Steelers...I had to trade a 3rd round pick and some scrub left guard to get him in my second season of career mode. What. the. ****.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Steelers are just employing a backup plan which makes sense, the real plan is.......Eifert

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Maybe Spaeth will be a decent TE for us...this is the second positive review I have seen on Spaeth...

If there was a positive at the position it was Matt Spaeth. Signed as chiefly a blocker, Spaeth was PFF’s seventh-rated tight end and caught six of the nine passes thrown to him, one for a score (vs. Minnesota). Spaeth played fewer than half the snaps (430) of Davis (980) but graded out as the top run-blocking tight end in the NFL.

[URL]http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/bears-talk/bears-te-free-agency-preview[/URL]
    Spaeth was never as bad as many wanted to make him out to be but he became a whipping boy for Arians problem offense. The relaity is that he was under utilized and was open a lot but never thrown to. He also did a decent job whenever filling in for Miller. He is a far better TE than anyone we have on the roster right now not named Heath Miller so signing him is a very good move on the part of the front office.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    The Steelers are just employing a backup plan which makes sense, the real plan is.......Eifert
    I really hope so. Spaeth is a stop gap but Eifert would be the TE of the future. He would be an excellent pick.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I really hope so. Spaeth is a stop gap but Eifert would be the TE of the future. He would be an excellent pick.

Unless the Steelers are planning on moving on from Heath Miller soon, it would seem unlikely they employ 2 high priced TE's..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Unless the Steelers are planning on moving on from Heath Miller soon, it would seem unlikely they employ 2 high priced TE's..
    Miller's contract expires after the 2014 season...

Legend

User Info Menu

Just read that Spaeth hasn't actually been signed yet...he's slated to take a physical tomorrow.