Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Former Steelers OT Willie Colon signs with NY Jets

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deljzc View Post
    When healthy, Colon is obviously better than Foster (the coaches decided that last year by who started). Does Colon's injury history really make him HALF the price as Foster? Because we paid Foster twice as much for a longer time frame and some guaranteed money.

I've said this for five years. I am very worried with how this organization is self-evaluating their talent and deciding their worth with contracts. In almost every case where a player ends up on the open market after a huge deal with the Steelers, he gets practically nothing. Foote, Colon, Starks, Kemoeatu. Watch Hampton be valued at $1-2 million on the open market when we valued him at $4-5 million just a couple years ago. I know age and injury matter, but not as much as what is showing up in the free market.

We see occasionally what 31 other GM's think of our middle talent that gets really good money, long-term deals and are often renegotiated here in Pittsburgh. And it's often not flattering.

Take out the offers of some of our free agents to ex-Steeler coaches in Indianapolis and Arizona and you get even a worse view.
    I really don't think what you are saying is true. Tell me how many players that have been released for salary cap reasons by any team get the same amount from another team. Almost nobody. Even back in the day Woodson took far less from San Fran than the steelers were offering. Colon was offered MORE money from Chicago but took a lesser amount to stay with the Steelers. What you are saying happens to all teams ... not just the Steelers.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Colon lasted what? 3 days in FA? This comment makes no sense.
    what part of 1.5 million on a one year deal sounds like he was highly coveted by numerous teams?
    did he sort thru all the multi year deals worth multi millions of dollars and throw those away and say, 'to hell with financial security and a long term contract. i want to play for a botttom feeder for barely above vet minimum'

Rookie

User Info Menu

Glad hes gone... Good pulling guard but Sanchez can worry about his false starts and holds now. Willie "the drive killa" Colon
    -Zachintosh66- (SCM 1135)
    1. Tavon Austin, WR/RB, WV (trade back)
    2. Matt Elam, S, Flor
    3. Jesse Williams, DT, 'bama
    3. Robert Woods, WR USC (*from NE)
    4. Le'Veon Bell, RB, Mich St (*from trade)
    4. Jaime Collins, OLB, So MIss
    5. Robert Lester, S, 'Bama (*from trade)
    5. Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
    6. Landry Jones, QB, 'Bama
    7. AJ Klein, ILB, Iowa St.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zachintosh66 View Post
    Glad hes gone... Good pulling guard but Sanchez can worry about his false starts and holds now. Willie "the drive killa" Colon
    nevertheless, I think this was a good signing by the NY Jets...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

As Willie's girth increased, I always thought a good nickname for him would have been "Semi."

"Semi-Colon".