Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanders???

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I agree, but at what price?

at some point you have to weigh his salary vs the value of the draft pick.

lets say the deal averages 3-4 million per year. Is sanders worth that? I'm not sure.
    I would say at this point we couldn't match that kind of offer if he was offered that by the Pats, I think we'll end up keeping Manny which imo is a good thing.

Backup

User Info Menu

Wallace got $30 million guaranteed.

He was willing to take $20 million guaranteed to stay last season. The Steelers went up to $18 mil.

So we lost him over $2 million. And in the process Wallace gained $10 million himself.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope he stays too, don't get me wrong.

but there is a point of diminishing returns. The steelers must decide where that line is if the pats decide to make an offer.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If The Patriots do offer Sanders an offer sheet, the Steelers have up to one week to match.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think it would be a pretty significant blow to the offense if we lose Sanders. I see him as an up-and-coming producer in our offense now that Wallace is gone. It would not shock me if he was targeted 100+ times this season as a starter. That translates into a 65+ Catch, 900 yard, 6 TD season. And that's MINIMUM. If Brown started getting bracket coverage, Sanders could be targeted 120 times and have a 1000 yard season for us.

This offense (Haley or Arians) targets WR's. That's Roethlisberger's M.O. When you add up the targets, it's not going to be Plaxico and Cotchery that end up with Wallace's targets. It was Sanders in a big way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Wallace got $30 million guaranteed.

He was willing to take $20 million guaranteed to stay last season. The Steelers went up to $18 mil.

So we lost him over $2 million. And in the process Wallace gained $10 million himself.
    It's alright, we re-signed the other guy that had a down year in 2012 after 1 year's success to the money offered to Wallace.

Nothing to worry about there at all.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

It might be time to research the phone number of Randy Moss' agent..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Rookie

User Info Menu

guess the steelers have to show their hand.
    [URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150973/article/emmanuel-sanders-reportedly-signs-patriots-offer[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I respect the Patriot's organization. They have a good eye for talent and that is why they stay in he playoffs despites a lot of turnover in their personnel. Sanders is a good, under-the radar- type of player. I thnik he is about ready to blossom, if he can stay healthy. So, I hope the Steelers don't lose him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would prefer to keep Sanders but under the circumstances their might not be too much the Steelers can do to prevent it since they are strapped with the cap.
    Instead of worrying about this and how it affects the offense maybe we can try and find some positives, here is a few of mine.

1.Even if we were to keep Sanders with the tender we offered, he most likely would demand more next year especially if he has a good year. By doing this now we will save the tender we would of gave him and won't be hit as hard next year with the cap.

2. We still have Brown and two experienced receivers Plax and Cotchery and a extra pick in the draft this year, NE's third round pick.

3. Most likely we were going to draft a receiver before this happened the only difference is what round, now we may have to move up to round one or two at worst to get one capable of playing his first season.

4. The WR we draft will be more cap friendly now and next season, giving the Steelers more room to address some other needs.

Maybe some of you can come up with some positives, dwelling on any disappointments we may have won't do any good. The Steelers are changing as a team, and more changes are bound to happen next year as well, so we might want to embrace the change and hopefully these changes will be better in the long run.

It may take a few drafts to be a playoff team again, or that fine line we talk about might go our way this year. In any case some players we draft could speed up the process especially getting playing time this year.