Thread: Competition Committee proposes 6 rule changes, 3 bylaw changes

Legend

User Info Menu

Competition Committee proposes 6 rule changes, 3 bylaw changes

Competition Committee proposes 6 rule changes, 3 bylaw changes

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 14, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
    AP
    The NFL’s Competition Committee has proposed six rules changes and three bylaw changes that the owners will vote on at next week’s league meeting.

Proposed rule changes

1. A play that would have been automatically reviewed by instant replay will still be reviewed even if a coach throws his challenge flag. Any coach who challenges a play that he’s not permitted to challenge would be charged a timeout, and wouldn’t get his timeout back even if he wins the challenge, or would lose 15 yards if his team is out of timeouts. But the play itself will still be reviewed. Call this the Jim Schwartz Rule. The league will also consider reviewing incomplete passes that are ruled a fumble all the way through the fumble — if a play is ruled on the field to be incomplete and overturned on replay as a fumble, the replay can consider everything that happens after that fumble.
    2. Player safety: On field goals and extra points, restrictions are added to what rush teams can do. No more than six defensive players would be permitted to align on either side of the snapper, defensive players can’t push their teammates across the line, and the long snapper is considered a defenseless player.
    3. Eliminate the tuck rule.
    4. Allow tight ends and H-backs to wear 40-49.
    5. Player safety: Offensive players will not be allowed to block low when going toward their own end lines in the tackle box. Can’t go low when peeling back anywhere on the field.
    6. Player safety: Initiating contact with the crown of the helmet is a foul if the runner or tackler delivers a forceable blow against his opponent when both players are outside the tackle box.

Proposed bylaw changes

1. The waiver period will be such that a team that claims a player only needs to keep him for one day, not two days.
    2. Adjust the physically unable to perform status to allow players on PUP to practice for any three-week period from Week Six through Week Eleven.
    3. Move the final roster cutdown date one day earlier.

The NFL is also planning two new points of emphasis:

1. Mandatory thigh and knee pads — this isn’t a new rule but the officials will start actively enforcing the rule, rather than just urging players to wear the pads as they did last year. A player who refuses to comply with the rule won’t be allowed on the field.
    2. Fields must be maintained up to NFL standards, and the league can require clubs to maintain their fields up to the league’s high standards, at the club’s expense. (interesting, league mandated field turf coming is suspect)

​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Surprised at #6. An open field runner was not considered defenseless since he was running with the football. Now if its out of the tackle box, and the defender lowers his head its a penalty. This gives the runners a decided advantage I would think. This will result in a lot of penalties the first year or two. I would expect this one to be hotly contested.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

According to follow-up articles I've read, they're actually considering making it a penalty for the ball carrier or the tackler if EITHER one lowers their head. Flag football here we come! Keep the lawsuits coming boys, this is great.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

NFL may prevent runners from lowering their heads into tacklers

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 14, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT
    Getty Images
    In another sign that the days of punishing, physical running backs like JimBrown and John Riggins are coming to an end, the NFL is considering a rules change that would penalize runners for lowering their heads and initiating contact with tacklers.

Members of the NFL’s Competition Committee revealed today that they want to see a new rule that would make it a personal foul for either a runner or a tackler to engage in head-first contact with the crown of the helmet when running into each other outside the tackle box.

“This is a pure and simple player safety rule,” NFL Competition Committee Chair Rich McKay said. “We really think the time has come where we need to address the situation in space where a runner or a tackler has a choice of how to approach his opponent.”

McKay said there was no one specific play that made the Committee propose this rule change, and he said that the play that was viewed by many as the most violent example of a helmet-to-helmet hit in the NFL all season — [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3700/bernard-pollard"]Bernard Pollard[/URL]’s collision with [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6487/stevan-ridley"]Stevan Ridley[/URL] in the AFC Championship Game — would not have been a penalty because neither player was directly leading with the crown of his helmet.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher, a member of the Competition Committee, said he believes coaches will be able to properly instruct their players in how to adjust to this rule.

“The ballcarrier is still going to be permitted to lower his shoulder, and the head is also going to come down to protect the football,” Fisher said. “We’re not taking that part of the run out of the game. What we’re saying is, in space, one-on-one, head-up, we’re not going to allow you to load up and use the crown of your helmet. It’s an obvious thing.”

It’s obvious that each year, the NFL’s Competition Committee is going to try a little bit harder to take us closer to a time when helmet-to-helmet hits are removed from the game completely.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

welcome to some more BS calls whenever a ref feels like it.............just get rid of helmets already. that will make them think twice about spearing each other.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Competition Committee proposes 6 rule changes, 3 bylaw changes...
    5. Player safety: Offensive players will not be allowed to block low when going toward their own end lines in the tackle box. Can’t go low when peeling back anywhere on the field.
    Does this now make chop blocks illegal? What does "towards their own end lines" actually mean?
    ...6. Player safety: Initiating contact with the crown of the helmet is a foul if the runner or tackler delivers a forceable blow against his opponent when both players are outside the tackle box.
    So it's up to the refs now whether a HTH contact will be penalized by whether it was "forceable"? LOL, that's gonna go well.

Oh, and so now the only players whose brains are not considered of valuable, since they are inside the tacklebox all the time, are the big uglies?

This whole thing is so farcical I think sometimes I'm reading Theonion.com instead of Goodell's Papal Missives (don't be fooled into thinking the "Competition Committee" is doing any independent thinking ... everything that comes out of there having to do with player safety is dictated to them by the NFL Legal Dept, no doubt in my mind).

I'm with Squiclkid - cardboard helmets. OK, giv'em leather ones, so the logo stays on longer. Either way, I don't think people would be leading with their heads as much. (Of course Clark's value would go down, but that's another story).
    Last edited by SanAntonioSteelerFan; 03-14-2013 at 06:21 PM.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I love flag football!!

I've always held that the helmets need to be made smaller!
    Last edited by skyhawk; 03-14-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Backup

User Info Menu

Flags and dresses.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

According to follow-up articles I've read, they're actually considering making it a penalty for the ball carrier or the tackler if EITHER one lowers their head. Flag football here we come! Keep the lawsuits coming boys, this is great.
    Yes, you're right I missed that the runner could be fined as well. I can't imagine this one passing.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Yes, you're right I missed that the runner could be fined as well. I can't imagine this one passing.
    Well I don't like the rule but it makes since. We have been yelling at opposing teams who lower their heads into one of the Steelers defenders, where only the steelers are penalized for hits.