Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye bye k. Lewis

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO it is clear that the Steelers had no intention of re-signing Lewis.

I don't know if it because they still consider him immature - after all, the main reason that it took him so long to start was because of his own temper tantrum.

I don't know if it because they see Allen as the starter and don't like Lewis as the #3.

But they made no effort to get him signed prior to him hitting FA, they made no effort during FA, and they let him sign elsewhere at a reasonable price without making a move on him.

To me, it seems like they just did not want him.

Backup

User Info Menu

And they would rather have old Ike for a season or two, Allen, and Gay?

Wonderful.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Don't think that contract would have been good IF he ended up the #3 corner. IF Allen is better now it is time to start and could have been the plan this year anyway. Maybe that is what is happening here. Not over paying for a #3 corner? But who will be #1 and #2 when Ike is done still scares me. Also I agree if Lewis aways wanted to be a saint good for him to get that chance. So what rd will be CB this year?
    If the Steelers viewed Allen as surpassing Lewis and Lewis as the #3 CB, then their decision making would make a bit more sense. Even still, there is a good chance that 2013 or 2014 is Ike's last year, and locking up Lewis now would give the Steelers a reliable starting tandem well into the future.

Backup

User Info Menu

You can't sign a player that doesn't want to be there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    You can't sign a player that doesn't want to be there.
    interesting avenue.

wallace was roundly blasted for seeking more money elsewhere while it seems like lewis may be getting a pass for taking less money to go somewhere other than pittsburgh. That's if pittsburgh even made a comparable offer, which at this point we don't know if they did.

Legend

User Info Menu

There are some reports now that Lewis might have given NO a home town discount. Whether true or not, who knows.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

I don't know if it because they still consider him immature - after all, the main reason that it took him so long to start was because of his own temper tantrum.

I don't know if it because they see Allen as the starter and don't like Lewis as the #3.

But they made no effort to get him signed prior to him hitting FA, they made no effort during FA, and they let him sign elsewhere at a reasonable price without making a move on him.

Colbert made it clear that all free agents would not be pursued until they tested the open market. And, true to his word, that is what they seemed to do. Now, I would like to think that if a good player was only offered a fair offer, that we would try to counter it, if we liked the player. But, apparently, they don't value Lewis too much.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    There are some reports now that Lewis might have given NO a home town discount. Whether true or not, who knows.
    Smith was considered by most to be the higher ranked FA CB. He signed for 3 years, $18M, $11M guaranteed. Lewis received a 5 year, $26M deal with $10.5M guaranteed.

Seems more like the going rate than a hometown discount.

Backup

User Info Menu

Keenan Lewis tonight tweets that the Steelers never offered him a contract.

Just wow.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

if thats the case then why have him start over allen, who could have been gaining some valuable experience