Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye bye k. Lewis

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think we are weaker on paper at every major position grouping as compared to March 2012.

Maybe we'll improve via the "chemistry" angle (i.e. we got rid of some bad apples). Maybe we improve with better health and less starter games lost.

But talent-wise, I don't think there's any doubt we are much weaker than 365 days ago. The draft will help, but not in 2013 based on recent history. If we get 500 snaps total out of the draft (not injury replacement) then that's pretty good. If rookies are playing because of injuries, then you aren't improving via the health angle.

I think we're a borderline playoff team right now with very little chance to make a good run in the playoffs. The ceiling for this team is just too low for my liking.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Ike Taylor's Salary Cap Numbers

Year
    Base S. Bonus Misc. Cap Hit Dead
    2011 1,250,000 1,812,500 750,000 3,812,500 -
    2012 825,000 1,812,500 1,641,666 4,279,166 -
    2013 6,000,000 1,812,500 1,641,666 9,454,166 6,908,334
    2014 7,000,000 1,812,500 1,641,666 10,454,166

According to the Salary Cap Numbers listed above, the dead money in 2014 if cut would be:

$3,454,166
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Was he given the chance?
    Probably not under Grandpa, but he was this year and didn't exactly set the league on fire. Like I said he was decent but nowhere near ready to make Probowls. IMO I think Ike and Cortez are better
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Administrator

User Info Menu

By the way, here is how I derived the # that I got:

I used the same math for 2014 that was used when calculating the dead cap dollars for 2013.

2013 Formula = (2013 Signing Bonus + 2014 Signing Bonus) + (2013 Misc + 2014 Misc)

2014 Formula = (2014 Signing Bonus) + (2014 Misc)

Basically, The base salary isn't guaranteed but you take a hit on the Signing Bonus' and Misc for the lifetime of the contract (however many years are left).
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Probably not under Grandpa, but he was this year and didn't exactly set the league on fire. Like I said he was decent but nowhere near ready to make Probowls. IMO I think Ike and Cortez are better
    He was among the league leaders in passes defensed. Not sure what else you want from him.

Legend

User Info Menu

He was among the league leaders in passes defensed. Not sure what else you want from him.
    I wanted him to return, but what more could you ask from Lewis? How about he holds on to the pass that hit him in the chest against the Titans. That play alone could have added another win.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Don't re-write history here, Crash. Lewis was immature and not very good early on, which is why he didn't play. Don't you remember his temper tantrum against the Broncos?

Cortez Allen played early because he showed he was ready. It took Lewis longer to get on the field because he developed more slowly. That is on him, not on DL or anybody else.
    I agree. Nothing I saw from Lewis early on made me want to see him on the field more. It wasn't until Lake joined the staff that he started to show promise. I say, Lake is the key for the future CBs. He can make an average one into an above average, and above average into elite.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I agree. Nothing I saw from Lewis early on made me want to see him on the field more. It wasn't until Lake joined the staff that he started to show promise. I say, Lake is the key for the future CBs. He can make an average one into an above average, and above average into elite.
    But wasn't Dick LeBeau a former DB coach also? Why does Carnell Lake get all the credit?

Maybe it's because Lake actually does some COACHING, where all LeBeau does now is COASTING.

Dom Capers when he ran our defense had no problems playing young players early.

LeBeau? Hardly ever.

It's not the scheme, it's the mindset of the coaches running it.

Legend

User Info Menu

And we still, constantly, overlook the ability of the guy playing in front of the rookies.

Is the reason Cam Heyward doesn't play because:

1. Cam Heyward is a terrible player

or

2. Brett Keisel is a damn good player
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Was he given the chance?
    The answer to that is YES. Then he imploded in the Bronco pre-season game and got in Tomlins doghouse.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!