Thread: Looks like The Steelers have to pay the credit card balances, or should I say Piper.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Looks like The Steelers have to pay the credit card balances, or should I say Piper.

I was reading an article about FO Power rankings and looked at what they had to say about the Steelers.
    According to this article we had some great success as an oganization from the time Ben was drafted to about the end of the 2011 season.
    As I read more the reality whether I want to believe it or not, is we could be on a downturn. It was tough enough losing players like Hines and Farrior who were leaders in that locker room now we are losing playmakers like Wallace and Harrison and probably more to come next season.

It's also tough to replace those types of players when you have a balooning salary cap to contend with, but our biggest enemy now is Time. We might get some really good talent in the draft but even with that it takes time to develope these players while we still have Ben as our QB.

Here is a portion of that article:

The switch from Bruce Arians to Todd Haley at offensive coordinator didn't exactly pan out in 2012, and Pittsburgh seems to annually have salary cap issues that require contract restructuring and the eventual loss of some talented players. This year's expected departure of receiver Mike Wallace and the cap release of outside linebacker James Harrison are just two of the latest examples. Some within the league believe this will eventually catch up to Pittsburgh, and that a serious downturn is nearly inevitable. You can't re-do deals forever. Eventually the piper must be paid. Age and a salary squeeze might be closing in on the Steelers.

Read More: [url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130312/nfl-free-agents-front-offices/#ixzz2NSSlKlzZ[/url]

As a Fan of the Steelers I have no complaints, this team gave us more excitement, playoff births, and Super Bowls than most fans of other teams dream about. I realize we can't sustain a Super Bowl team for eternity, but this proud organization will do everything possible to keep the team competitive next season and the future even with the challenges they have in front of them.
    It may take a few drafts and releasing long time good players to get back to be a championship team, but history shows never count out the Steelers especially when their backs up against the wall.

Legend

User Info Menu

they say that if they want... most wins since the AFL merger... i say they can keep doing it... (80's? what 80s? lol)
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

That's exactly right- eventually these contract restructures are going to bite, hard. If Woodley was $11m against the cap before restructuring, Ben $20+m, Timmons $10m & Brown $6m- the value of their contracts will not reduce next season. So they'll have a higher base salary, PLUS the increase in bonus money spread out. As an example- Brown was supposed to be around $6m base salary next season, and with the signing bonus added, should have cost around $8m. Now, chadman believes his cost is going to be closer to $9.5m next season. Do they restructure him again? Push his 2015 value up to $13m+?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's why it makes sense to cut old cap hogs, go young, and start fresh. Our roster management and drafting has been piss poor.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah, eventually we will have a terrible year or two while we clear the books. It happens.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Yeah, eventually we will have a terrible year or two while we clear the books. It happens.
    You think that will just happen, or the Steelers have to know when to make it happen?
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    That's why it makes sense to cut old cap hogs, go young, and start fresh. Our roster management and drafting has been piss poor.
    Yes, and the theory just puts more pressure on drafting well... I made the point earlier in comparing this team to Dallas and San Francisco of the late 90's... you make a couple mistakes (like tying your team fortunes to Quincy Carter), or make a series of bad draft choices (i.e. see 49ers draft choices during that time), and the fall will happen. We've just been quite good drafting--up until about 3-4 years ago. Drafting ham & eggers like Ziggy Hood, or out & out scrubs like Bruce Davis... that will probably come back to haunt us in this next decade. As a Steeler fan, I still hold out hope that we hit a Home Run with this year's draft. (And becoming bad will give the fans who joined the bandwagon since the 90's a little bit of perspective.)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Yes, and the theory just puts more pressure on drafting well... I made the point earlier in comparing this team to Dallas and San Francisco of the late 90's... you make a couple mistakes (like tying your team fortunes to Quincy Carter), or make a series of bad draft choices (i.e. see 49ers draft choices during that time), and the fall will happen. We've just been quite good drafting--up until about 3-4 years ago. Drafting ham & eggers like Ziggy Hood, or out & out scrubs like Bruce Davis... that will probably come back to haunt us in this next decade. As a Steeler fan, I still hold out hope that we hit a Home Run with this year's draft. (And becoming bad will give the fans who joined the bandwagon since the 90's a little bit of perspective.)
    You nailed it. My thoughts exactly.
    @_Hellgrammite