Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers just got better and most of their fans dont even realize it!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Wallace attitude was all about Mike but Harrison is much the same. Rather than take nearly 5 million to play for us, he essentially quit and left for a total unknown and he was one of our veterans.
    @_Hellgrammite

Starter

User Info Menu

Dee,
    I cant argue with your point. Its funny because I had this same discussion at work with other NFL fans. Ironically many of them sided with the players! They had the "get it while you can" and "it is a business where you can get injured in a heartbeat" attitude about it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I guess the signing of Burress made us better or Foote or DJ. Oh ok
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

There's really no one "at fault" here. The Steelers made an offer they thought was equivalent with his talent level. He declined and decided to test the market (rightly so it seems). The Steelers have an entire team to think about as well as working within a structured salary cap. Mike Wallace has Wallace to think about and just signed for life changing money over multiple generations. Can't fault either side for doing what was in thier own best interests. That's how it works.

I think the Steelers lost a great talent but its not the first and won't be the last. I'm glad we the fans and the team and move on and stop talking about a player who no longer wears B&G and will do nothing to assist the 2013 campaign.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm sorry Dub, locker room stuff aside, from a talent standpoint, the Steelers are worse than they were last year. So far, they've subtracted Wallace and James Harrison. Harrison is not the DMVP level player he once was, but the fact that the Steelers wanted him back is telling. When Porter left, there was no effort to renegotiate his contract; they simply cut him. Wallace's departure and the impending departure of Mendenhall leaves the offense in dire need of adding speed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Totally agree with this post.

I couldn't wait for this guy to get outta Dodge
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with Dee on this one. I believe Wallace was a symptom of an underlying problem. The underlying problem is we have way too many me first players on this squad and not enough guys that love the game and lead by example. This Steeler team doesn't resemble the ones I grew up loving.
    Last edited by Shawn; 03-13-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    This is going to sound strange since I was one who defended Mike Wallace over the years, but the Steelers are now better that he is gone. Not from a player stand-point but from a character stand-point. Think about it. This dude jumped at the first highest bid he saw. He didnt go to the Patriots, the 49ers, or any other team that is a contender to win a championship. He went to the 7-9 Miami Dolphins. A team that is hardly a contender to win a championship. A team who really is still unsettled at the teams most important position, quarterback. A position that directly affects whether or no Mike Wallace has success with them. Mike Wallace went from one of the leagues storied franchises who are often a super bowl contender to a team that more than likely will be looking for another QB this time next year. All because he wanted more money. All because money was the most important thing to him.

Good riddance.

The Steelers are better that he is gone.
    Thats been my opinion all along. Don't need a malcontent. The Steelers have always been about "the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back of the jersey." That is not Wallace.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wholeheartedly and humbly disagree. First, Miami had a known interest in Mike for a while now. He had plenty of time to check out the surroundings down there. He is being paired with a young QB that is trying to make a name for himself and gets to work and play in a warmer and more tax friendly state. The Steelers couldn't pay the man even after getting maximum play for the dollar on his first three years. Now the guy is shown the money and there is no reason to begrudge him that.

Add to that, there is no reason to think that the Steelers are any closer to the promised land than the Dolphins are based solely on last years results. The 'phins were 7-9 to the Steelers 8-8, but the Steelers have cap problems and are cutting the likes of James Harrison while the Dolphins are adding talent and will have a better draft pick to boot.

The Steelers just lost what could have been a major weapon and the only WR on the team that seems to know how to find the EZ. I have confidence that the team will find a way, they always do. However, the Steelers are weaker right now, not stronger.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm sorry Dub, locker room stuff aside, from a talent standpoint, the Steelers are worse than they were last year. So far, they've subtracted Wallace and James Harrison. Harrison is not the DMVP level player he once was, but the fact that the Steelers wanted him back is telling. When Porter left, there was no effort to renegotiate his contract; they simply cut him. Wallace's departure and the impending departure of Mendenhall leaves the offense in dire need of adding speed.
    I think what happens out of the draft will determine if that is true. I'm not sure going forward we will miss a one-dimesional WR and a fading pass rusher. Those can be replaced in the draft by one of a combination of players for those positions.

You don't need one player to get 64 catches and 8 TDs. A combination of players can improve on that number. Additionally, how hard will it be to improve on 6 sacks from a player in your primary pass rushing position. That is what Wallace and Harrison were for this team last year.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"