Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did James Harrison make a mistake by not taking the Steelers offer?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Harrison is looking for a multi year deal...Don't know if he gets it. Remember, whatever someone signs him to will be guranteed if he is on the roster week 1.

As far as the cap, we are in Rule 51. Everytime someone signs, take that into consideration. The new contract (if larger than #51) will be put on and one removed. Right now, the #51 is in the $400k range. For example, David Johnson's deal is said to be a 1 year vet min. He will be in his 4th season so I believe his min is $715,000. His number would be added to the "51" and one removed. If the one removed is $480,000...The new cap will only be increased $235,000.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I tend to believe Harrison took a risk by not signing a reasonable offer made by Steelers. From what I hear he could of made up some of the cut in incentives. He still would of had a good contract with that in mind so did his agent screw this up or did James take the gamble he could get more? Is the door closed now with this matter even if his agent called the Steelers to reconsider? I would think the money they saved this year eliminating his salary with the cap made it possible to sign their other players. Now they still need enough money to sign their draft picks, so any chance of this getting turned around doesn't look feasable with the framework of the cap.

I wished this would of turned out different and we kept him for at least another year. The Steelers have to rely on Jason Worlids to step up if there is no other recourse left to bring JH back, maybe with a contract year and a starting role he'll come through.
    With this situation you would think OLB becomes a priority in the draft now, problem is who could come here as a rookie and compete with Worlids or even get playing time? Jarvis Jones?
    Why is it so hard to land playing time as a rookie in this defense even if your a top prospect. If a Jarvis Jones type can get after the QB, stop the run and play pass coverage whats left for him to do?
    Maybe if things stay as they are the Steelers may be forced to play their rookie OLB and live with mistakes he might make, or Worlids will play good enough we won't need immediate help.

If we are to weaken one area of the team like OLB we need to offset that by strength in another, but overall I feel the Steelers are doing the best they can under the circumstances to maintain a competitive team.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 03-13-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Some bad team with a lot of cap space (there's quite a few) is going to see Harrison as a guy who's "young" for his age, with something major to prove (recovered from injury and Steelers not keeping him), a TON of intensity and intimidation factor, and a Super Bowl winner and former Defensive player of the year. He's going to get some bank. You can never underestimate the stupidity/propensity to overpay of ownership in the NFL. Never.
    EXACTLY what I'm thinking....
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Each day that passes in free agency the less Harrison will get, he took a major risk IMO. I would of loved For JH to remain here but I really question his decision and his agent for letting this happen.

This situation isn't the fault of the Steelers, .....Jimmy u Goofed up!

Legend

User Info Menu

I question the validity of the report stating that he was offered a 30% paycut. I have seen no confirmation of it and it seemed like it would be reasonable for a player who stated that he wanted to remain a Steeler.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I question the validity of the report stating that he was offered a 30% paycut. I have seen no confirmation of it and it seemed like it would be reasonable for a player who stated that he wanted to remain a Steeler.
    Maybe remaining a Steeler didn't mean as much if he didn't get properly compensated. Deebo has had a number of injuries that he has had to overcome and he probably has two good years left. He might have a number in mind for him to have to deal with the pounding of NFL life for a couple years. IDK, but he obviously didn't find it reasonable and he's the guy that has to live with it.

Backup

User Info Menu

Watch when Wade gets him and they don't waste him in pass coverage.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Watch when Wade gets him and they don't waste him in pass coverage.
    Getting Deebo and Lewis would be a coup for his new D.

Backup

User Info Menu

Wade's in Houston.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I've seen it in a couple of places... AND that he had the ability to earn back that $30% with incentives... that kind of detail isn't usually made up by reporters...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington