Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Steelers re-sign David Johnson

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Well I guess I'll gladly accept the mantra of "moron" because I think David Johnson is substandard. Here are some stats you fail to mention:

In 4 seasons David Johnson has 18 catches (4.5 per year) for 146 yards (8.1 average) and 1 TD

In just one season, Will Johnson has 15 catches for 137 yards (9.1 average) and 1 TD

No matter how you want to put it, Will Johnson is far better than David Johnson and the latter will mcontrinute little to nothing. Get a rookie TE in the draft and we will be better.
    I guess you missed the point. I would concede that Will Johnson is marginally more talented that David Johnson as an athlete and offensive player. You don't value blocking apparently. You are poor at evaluating blocking. Blocking is an important part of running of the ball and having an efficient offense. That is where David Johnson excels and exceeds Will Johnson. And it is not just at the TE postion, because in 2011, when Profootballfocus accumulated their statistics, David Johnson played the hybrid role of TE and FB. I again cite them who, do a true analytic breakdown of the plays and aren't crying out someone "sucks" and then getting agreement with someone else who is clueless.

They have David Johnson rated in the top 5 as a blocker from a list of 65 players. That is what I have been saying all along and they put it down in black and white. When you put both facets together. David Johnson is better than Will Johnson because Will Johnson's slightly better offensive stats are trumped by David Johnson's far better strength and impact as a blocker.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    He replaced the entire front 7 except for the great Gregg Lloyd in 3 years. It had to be done.
    Someone ?? recognized the problems and immediately addressed them. Between strengthening the team with a combination of solid draft picks and productive FA's the idea of change and progress got rolling and continued to this day. But it seems to have hit a snag. Maybe it will straighten out.

This team now needs a RB WR ILB NT OLB TE soon it will need a couple Safetys and a CB. Go gettum!

Fans always disagree on what was there when Cowher took over. I think the team was weak. Only the secondary and a couple Offensive players were solid. But that is not the point. The point is the team steadily progressed. Someone knew WTF they were doing.
    I believe Donohoe was controlling those early drafts not Cowher.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    What did they sign him for? Vet Minimum? Is there a signing bonus?

They could just as easily cut him after Training Camp if he doesn't prove a useful addition, but if he turns out to be an adequate 2nd/3rd TE & back-up FB, it's a great deal.

Not sure why so many people are worried about this.
    People don't realize that less than 0.0001% of the US population can play at the NFL level. There is not a huge selection of players to choose from that can play in the NFL. Most of the known players coming out of college won't last in the NFL past 3 seasons.

The Steelers resign players like Johnson and Foote to cover themselves in case they don't have the opportunity to sign other FA's or because the draft doesn't fall as they expect. There are also a salary cap with financial considerations. Every team has players like Foote and Johnson at one position or another. There are no long term implications to signing players like Foote and Johnson the way the organization did. The Steelers can only put the best available team together with the finances they have and with the players that are available.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I really think some of the fans think the Steelers are going to do something exciting during the free agency period. They aren't!! They will sign some role players and players for depth but that is all. The draft is where it is at for the Steelers. They have been doing it that way for years with very little in the way of exceptions.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I guess you missed the point. I would concede that Will Johnson is marginally more talented that David Johnson as an athlete and offensive player. You don't value blocking apparently. You are poor at evaluating blocking. Blocking is an important part of running of the ball and having an efficient offense. That is where David Johnson excels and exceeds Will Johnson. And it is not just at the TE postion, because in 2011, when Profootballfocus accumulated their statistics, David Johnson played the hybrid role of TE and FB. I again cite them who, do a true analytic breakdown of the plays and aren't crying out someone "sucks" and then getting agreement with someone else who is clueless.

They have David Johnson rated in the top 5 as a blocker from a list of 65 players. That is what I have been saying all along and they put it down in black and white. When you put both facets together. David Johnson is better than Will Johnson because Will Johnson's slightly better offensive stats are trumped by David Johnson's far better strength and impact as a blocker.
    Analytical or not, David Johnson sucks as blocker. I'm sure I've watched every game he's played in a Steelers uniform and nothing I've seen would tell me... boy, this guy is a good blocker with consistency. I'm sure he has his "good" moments but you can say for just about anybody.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

ANYONE who has David Johnson as a top 5 blocker is on some serious crack.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I believe Donohoe was controlling those early drafts not Cowher.
    It's possible but that has always been an unknown. Cowher was 'power hungry' in the draft process and I remember hearing that caused some type of clash. Was it with Donohoe, Colbert or both? Who knows. Was there any clash at all? Who knows.

You'd probably have a better chance of getting the true facts about the JFK assassination than getting a completely accurate answer on that, lol.

Was Donohoe controlling the draft? I guess that depends on what your definition of "control" is. I don't care what team it is, the HC should (& mostly do) have a say in draft picks regardless of whether it's their 1st year. Jerry Jones and Al Davis run teams might be the biggest exception.

I guarantee Tomlin had a big say in the Timmons pick (his first draft) which I was not supportive of. In fact, I've been historically one of Timmons biggest critics even up to this year but finally turned it on after a few games into the season when I really started to question him.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

No no no no.

Cowher AND Donahoe had imput on the draft. The clash began when Donahoe started calling Cowher out during rough season of 1999.

Donahoe and Cowher didn't like each other as PEOPLE as time went on, and Donahoe would call media into his office and blast Cowher the PERSON, not the coach.

The Rooney's didn't like that. And when BOTH Cowher and Donahoe turned in their resignations and they chose Cowher? They didn't even allow Donahoe the courtesy of cleaning out his office, they had a staffer box it up and send it to him.