Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Steelers re-sign David Johnson

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Really? I thought Will Johnson proved this year that he was a better blocker than David Johnson has ever been at any point in his career.
    True! Will Johnson is a fixture here now.

This signing was a nice gesture on TS part. As just about everyone has noted, it is not likely DJ makes it to the final cut even.

But, what interests me here is the casual, unthinking way TS sacked Weslye Saunders. Why? He did what had to be done in the few chances he was given. He might have been the best blocker of the entire bunch. Yep! Including Miller.

I saw clips of Saunders bashing into the sled with Tomlin right over his shoulder and beaming ear to ear. No other Steeler was close to this force. This really makes me wonder where is Tomlin on some of these decisions. Is he too submissive?

Oh! I forgot Saunders took a banned over the counter something so of course he had to go. Holmes had to go. His car ashtray was not emptied. Cedric Wilson tapped a girl friends cheek. Sack this monster. Same with the speedy RB last year. Who is running this team now. Carrie Nation? WTHeck is going on. Are TS now proposing to bring back the Volstead Act. I think that is what they called the drinking prohibition law. I can understand a very strict policy enforcing the league rules but how about checking into these incidents a little more before knee jerk reacting.

Saunders much to my surprise did not set the world on fire at Indy last year. But, I still think he would be the better option here at this time than either Pope or D Johnson. These little things will eventually add up to big things.

Legend

User Info Menu

What are you talking about?
    D. Johnson is a bum. He is a marginal player who is as poor at blocking as he is catching. Will Johnson did more in the first year on the team than DJ did the entire time he was here. Signing DJ is a waste.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

David Johnson was actually quite successful as a pass catching TE at Arkansas.

Given that Miller is out for a while, having an inexpensive TE that knows the system isn't the worst signing of all time. The Steelers are not shopping at Prada, they are looking for K-Mart specials.

If Johnson & Paulsen (& potentially a rookie TE) can give the Steelers 20-30 catches before Heath is back to full fitness, they'll have done their job.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

hard to forget his whiff in the SB that led to mendys fumble.

great blocker? Ummm, not a chance.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    David Johnson was actually quite successful as a pass catching TE at Arkansas.

Given that Miller is out for a while, having an inexpensive TE that knows the system isn't the worst signing of all time. The Steelers are not shopping at Prada, they are looking for K-Mart specials.

If Johnson & Paulsen (& potentially a rookie TE) can give the Steelers 20-30 catches before Heath is back to full fitness, they'll have done their job.
    K-Mart specials We need to shop at EMPORIO ARMANI and get Tyler in here for a ten TD season

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Forum keeps giving me an error when i try and create a new thread, so I'll just post this one in here for now....

[URL="http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=843777-steelers-have-interest-in-kellen-davis"]Steelers | Have interest in Kellen Davis[/URL]
    Wed, 13 Mar 2013 08:22:28 -0700 The Pittsburgh Steelers have interest in free-agent TE Kellen Davis (Bears).

Read more: [URL]http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2NR1iUjvL[/URL]
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Matt Spaeth was just released. Bring him back on the cheap and it'll be like The Blues Brothers - "We're putting the band back together". And Tomilin can tell the press - "we're on a mission from God!"

Starter

User Info Menu

David Johnson provides good depth for this team at two positions!! Whats wrong with that?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    David Johnson provides good depth for this team at two positions!! Whats wrong with that?
    Uhhh...he's not very good at either of those positions!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Really? I thought Will Johnson proved this year that he was a better blocker than David Johnson has ever been at any point in his career.
    I posted this info previously. If you look at profootballfocus stats. since DJ didn't play in 2012. Look in 2011 for him. Profootballfocus, this nonbiased entity, who solely relies on unemotional breaking down of tapes, rated David Johnson their 15th best TE (out of 65), basically on the strength of his run blocking. He was given a rating of a 9. Will Johnson, again according to profootballfocus in 2012, was given a rating as a run blocker of -.4.

So, it's not just me trusting my own judgement, which in this instance I think is on target. David Johnson is far more energetic and effective blocker thatn Will Johnson. Plus the running game overall was poor in 2012, and I think Will Johnson's unimpactful blocking was a part of that, as well as some key losses to the offensive line, such Colon and Adams.

So all the hate on DJ is tiresome and childish. It is just morons imitating others morons, trying to be cool.

David is hardworking strong blocker, good teammate. Can catch you a pass, Good depth guy. People don't expend this much effort bashing other depth players.