Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Foote Back on Three Year Deal

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Steelers made an attempt to get a replacement for foote after drafting Spense, it's not their fault he suffered a severe injury that put a monkey wrench into the situation.
    We should be worried more about scoring points in the redzone than Larry being retained.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    He was a backup for two of the three years he came back. You see we drafted some guy named Timmons in 2007. He replaced him.
    Right... Timmons started to replace him the 1 year when they were splitting time.

Then, Timmons replaced him completely. Since, Farrior was still the better player, Foote went to Detroit.

Foote came back but Farrior was still the better player. Farrior is finally released after an outstanding career and Foote became the starter. That is essentially getting progressively worse. He wasn't good enough to start 3 years prior to that but now he suddenly is? A guy replaces him 3 years ago and in 3 years you can't find anybody younger to develop and become a future starter? Then, you have to sign him to ANOTHER 3 year deal because we STILL haven't found anybody? How is that acceptable from a fan base?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Right... Timmons started to replace him the 1 year when they were splitting time.

Then, Timmons replaced him completely. Since, Farrior was still the better player, Foote went to Detroit.

Farrior is finally released after an outstanding career and they bring Foote back to be a starter. That is essentially getting progressively worse. He couldn't start 3 years ago but he can start then? A guy replaces him 3 years ago and in 3 years you can't find anybody younger to develop and become a future starter? Then, you have to sign him to ANOTHER 3 year deal because we STILL haven't found anybody? How is that acceptable from a fan base?
    They drafted a linebacker from Miami. His name is Sean Spence. He was going to be groomed to play next to Timmons in the future.

They have these contests called pre-season games. And, if you were paying attention like any realistic fan would be, he was injured during one at Heinz Field and his 2013 season, and his career, is in danger.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Larry represents some stability, we didn't have too may options other than a FA who can't be guaranteed to be any better than Larry.
    Overall Foote played well last season so I can't understand why fans would want him to leave.
    The Steelers are doing what they can to be a competitive team under the circumstances they are dealing with, keep in mind they are limited to a degree.
    I never said I expected a guarantee. There are no guarantees in scouting, GM work and talent evaluation. Even though Colbert is being paid a seven figure salary, I never expect him to be perfect.

But I do expect him to f'ing TRY sometimes.

The only guarantee in bringing Larry Foote back is you get worse. At his age and history, what he gave us in 2012 (and I would argue it's not as good as some think), is about his PEAK. To expect the same in 2013 without any drop off or injury is foolish.

I would rather trust Colbert's judgement as a scout to FIND a younger replacement to Foote at some point rather than just keep throwing money at the problem and rehashing the same old issues.

You watch, they will probably RENEGOTIATE Larry Foote's contract next year to save cap space (because they've already mortgaged 2014), thus making Larry Foote an even bigger issue someday.

Administrator

User Info Menu

They drafted a linebacker from Miami. His name is Sean Spence. He was going to be groomed to play next to Timmons in the future.

They have these contests called pre-season games. And, if you were paying attention like any realistic fan would be, he was injured during one at Heinz Field and his 2013 season, and his career, is in danger.
    Like a previous poster stated, Spence had a long way to go before you could even consider him as a starter. He didn't show much of anything in preseason against non-starters. He was considerably undersized. Saying Spence was the "future" starter is misguided. Let's wait until the guy does something before we name him starter material shall we? And let's say Spence could be a future starter. Why in the hell couldn't Colbert and Tomlin draft anyone that is a legit backup / potential starter in the FIVE PREVIOUS DRAFT CLASSES.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

3 Preseason games and you already knew Spence was talented enough to be the quarterback of our defense and starter in 2013? Really?

I hated the Spence draft pick, way before his injury. He was completely undersized and not suited for the 3-4 defense at all. He showed very little ability to shed blocks. He was a complete run-and-hit linebacker that needed a clean front in front of him to make plays. He was not an effective pass rusher at all (the ability to beat a RB/TE one-on-one in pass rush set is a TENET of Dick Lebeau's zone blitz scheme).

I swear Sean Spence because a BETTER player in Steeler Nation since he got hurt.

Backup

User Info Menu

Why in the hell couldn't Colbert and Tomlin draft anyone that is a legit backup / potential starter since 2007.
    You mean like Lawrence Timmons?

You seem confused.

Rookie

User Info Menu

You mean like Lawrence Timmons?

You seem confused.
    Last I checked we play TWO inside linebackers. Can Timmons magically play both at the same time?

Backup

User Info Menu

3 Preseason games and you already knew Spence was talented enough to be the quarterback of our defense and starter in 2013? Really?
    Never said that.

But their PLAN was to draft Spence as an eventual pairing with Timmons.

Legend

User Info Menu

sylvester was groomed for years to start inside.

didnt work out, what can you do