Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 88

Thread: Beanie Wells a possibility?

  1. #31
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    If we are looking at RB's that are an injury risk, sign me on for Ahmad Bradshaw.
    @_Hellgrammite

  2. #32
    We already have two RBs prone to injury. If we add a third, then we might have a complete back who can finish a season.

  3. #33
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    We already have two RBs prone to injury. If we add a third, then we might have a complete back who can finish a season.
    Most teams hold onto their RB's when they are sturdy and good. Unfortunately we drafted an oft injured space cadet so now have to pick through the old and oft injured cast offs to try and improve our crappy runningback stable. Yeah, we'll probably draft a RB. But right now we only have Dwyer and Barron Batch signed on for sure for the season...with Redman more than likely coming back as well. If Dwyer, Redman, Draftee, and Batch are all the Steelers feel they need then so be it. I would personally try and draft two RB's this draft.
    @_Hellgrammite

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    If we are looking at RB's that are an injury risk, sign me on for Ahmad Bradshaw.
    he looked much slower this past season than he did in other years... that's why the giants let him go. wouldn't touch him..

    Damned NFL package - i watch sooo many games... I had a Falcons fan come over and watch games with me one day... I knew Michael Turner was gone, too...
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

  5. #35
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,452
    Hmmm...People don't want Wells because he has been injured but you want to take Lattimore in the draft? Wells has been "Banged up" at many times but nothing significant. Lattimore had two significant knee injuires in college and hasn't seen the field since the last one. I'm not trying to offend & won't even say the word...But really?

    If Wells could come cheap...Why not? We are talking about someone who will be 25 this year. 23 starts in 51 games over 4 years. 625/2,471 (4 avg) 24 Tds. On a team that had 1 winning season over the last 4 years going 28-36. He may or may not be a feature back but the Steelers won't get one of them in FA.

    Redman will be 29 and he is a role player. Dwyer will be 24 & is the only player on this roster with any chance of being a rotation guy. Everyone loves Batch as a person but he is a ST RB & there is significant room for upgrade above him. You still draft a RB in the mid rounds who could be a feature 3 down back. Lots of questions at RB and Redman & Dwyer will be playing on 1 year deals. If they felt sure they were the answer...They wouldn't be. Wells went on notice after his release...I would take a chance on that and hope the Steelers see the reward. There is a very good chance one of Dwyer or Redman won't be here after 2013. There is a chance one doesn't make the final cut if the Steelers upgrade. Don't buy any Redman, Dwyer, and Batch jerseys. They all will need to seperate themselves if the want to stick around.



  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Hmmm...People don't want Wells because he has been injured but you want to take Lattimore in the draft? Wells has been "Banged up" at many times but nothing significant. Lattimore had two significant knee injuires in college and hasn't seen the field since the last one. I'm not trying to offend & won't even say the word...But really?

    If Wells could come cheap...Why not? We are talking about someone who will be 25 this year. 23 starts in 51 games over 4 years. 625/2,471 (4 avg) 24 Tds. On a team that had 1 winning season over the last 4 years going 28-36. He may or may not be a feature back but the Steelers won't get one of them in FA.

    Redman will be 29 and he is a role player. Dwyer will be 24 & is the only player on this roster with any chance of being a rotation guy. Everyone loves Batch as a person but he is a ST RB & there is significant room for upgrade above him. You still draft a RB in the mid rounds who could be a feature 3 down back. Lots of questions at RB and Redman & Dwyer will be playing on 1 year deals. If they felt sure they were the answer...They wouldn't be. Wells went on notice after his release...I would take a chance on that and hope the Steelers see the reward. There is a very good chance one of Dwyer or Redman won't be here after 2013. There is a chance one doesn't make the final cut if the Steelers upgrade. Don't buy any Redman, Dwyer, and Batch jerseys. They all will need to seperate themselves if the want to stick around.
    I hear ya... but, there's a few simple reasons it would make sense... Lattimore would be cheaper, at the cost of a 4th or 5th round salary.. he's also a better runner than Beanie, dare i say, "when healthy"... that's the big thing, IMO. If i take an "oft injured" player, why not swing for the fences?

    Besides, there's another difference in "knee injury" vs "banged up many times"...

    These days, knee injury, you're out a year, you're back -- heck, Willis McGahee has gone on to a "solid" career after a very gruesome injury... knee injuries are freak injuries that aren't career ending like they were 30 years ago.

    OTOH, banged up many times, is a pattern - who knows, maybe genetics... not enough bone density, bad muscles/joints, maybe they're just wimps with a low pain tolerance... DeAngelo Williams? Joseph Addai? love their talent... wouldn't touch them... At this point, if Polamalu was a FA coming from another team, not sure I'd want him...
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

  7. #37
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,452
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I hear ya... but, there's a few simple reasons it would make sense... Lattimore would be cheaper, at the cost of a 4th or 5th round salary.. he's also a better runner than Beanie, dare i say, "when healthy"... that's the big thing, IMO. If i take an "oft injured" player, why not swing for the fences?

    Besides, there's another difference in "knee injury" vs "banged up many times"...

    These days, knee injury, you're out a year, you're back -- heck, Willis McGahee has gone on to a "solid" career after a very gruesome injury... knee injuries are freak injuries that aren't career ending like they were 30 years ago.

    OTOH, banged up many times, is a pattern - who knows, maybe genetics... not enough bone density, bad muscles/joints, maybe they're just wimps with a low pain tolerance... DeAngelo Williams? Joseph Addai? love their talent... wouldn't touch them... At this point, if Polamalu was a FA coming from another team, not sure I'd want him...
    Cheaper financially yes...But that is it. Using a 4th round pick investment...Add that in. Wells has been injured but he has shown production. Lattimore was productive in college as was Wells. Wells went 585/3,382 (5.8 avg) 30 Tds in college. Lattimore went 555/2,677 (4.8 avg) 38 tds in college. Lattimore had two severe knee injuries and Wells already has an NFL resume. It won't get easier for Lattimore in the NFL. The concern ALWAYS for bigger backs coming into the NFL is durabilty concerns because they will be getting hit by bigger faster players. Since he already suffered two significant knee injuries...How well can he hold up to Ss taking out his knees? BIG Red Flag. So I am a "Pass" on Lattimore.

    There are far more examples of players who suffer knee injuries and never return to form or are forced out early than comeback stories. Saying "not enough bone density, bad muscles/joints" isn't any different than saying weak ligaments cartilage when it comes to knee injuries. Knee injuires are far more significant than someone just being banged up. Like you said, players miss seasons with knee injuries and threaten their output level. "Banged up" could equate to games missed...Which has been Well's case. I agree 100% about toughness to being "banged up". Toughness goes to the line of a young player coming into the NFL and commitment. Wells got cut after being a 1st rounder. That could be the benefit of the Steelers if he heeds that wake-up call. Simple advice to Wells...Which you hope the light went on with the release: You aren't a kid anymore...You are a professional. There is a difference between being hurt & being injured. Sometimes a change of scenery...A better organization....And your "last chance" contract has a way of turing it around.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 03-13-2013 at 12:22 PM.



  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    There are far more examples of players who suffer knee injuries and never return to form or are forced out early than comeback stories.
    Through history? sure. But, there's probably more examples of moms dying in childbirth... We're talking today's expectations...

    In recent history, there's more examples of coming back than not... is anyone suspecting RGIII won't be back? Is anybody saying, "we need a 1st round TE, cuz Heath will never be back!"
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

  9. #39
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,375
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Cheaper financially yes...But that is it. Using a 4th round pick investment...Add that in. Wells has been injured but he has shown production. Lattimore was productive in college as was Wells. Wells went 585/3,382 (5.8 avg) 30 Tds in college. Lattimore went 555/2,677 (4.8 avg) 38 tds in college. Lattimore had two severe knee injuries and Wells already has an NFL resume. It won't get easier for Lattimore in the NFL. The concern ALWAYS for bigger backs coming into the NFL is durabilty concerns because they will be getting hit by bigger faster players. Since he already suffered two significant knee injuries...How well can he hold up to Ss taking out his knees? BIG Red Flag. So I am a "Pass" on Lattimore.

    There are far more examples of players who suffer knee injuries and never return to form or are forced out early than comeback stories. Saying "not enough bone density, bad muscles/joints" isn't any different than saying weak ligaments cartilage when it comes to knee injuries. Knee injuires are far more significant than someone just being banged up. Like you said, players miss seasons with knee injuries and threaten their output level. "Banged up" could equate to games missed...Which has been Well's case. I agree 100% about toughness to being "banged up". Toughness goes to the line of a young player coming into the NFL and commitment. Wells got cut after being a 1st rounder. That could be the benefit of the Steelers if he heeds that wake-up call. Simple advice to Wells...Which you hope the light went on with the release: You aren't a kid anymore...You are a professional. There is a difference between being hurt & being injured. Sometimes a change of scenery...A better organization....And your "last chance" contract has a way of turing it around.
    Lattimore played in the big boy league of college football against the closest thing to NFL talent college has and has been a feeding ground for NFL teams.

    I think it is unfair to Lattimore to even reference the first knee injury like that's a huge deal. He was playing very well which showed me his first ACL injury was heeled. There should not be much of a concern because by next year, that knee will now have 2 years of recovery under it's belt.

    It's his latest knee injury which should be the primary concern since it did injury 3 ligaments.. Without last year's injury, Lattimore would have been the first RB taken in this year's draft.... no doubt.

    No way should we pass on him in the 4th.... if he's even available there.

  10. #40
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,452
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Through history? sure. But, there's probably more examples of moms dying in childbirth... We're talking today's expectations...

    In recent history, there's more examples of coming back than not... is anyone suspecting RGIII won't be back? Is anybody saying, "we need a 1st round TE, cuz Heath will never be back!"
    Nobody is saying people don't come back from knee injuires. Todays expectations? Multiple torn knee ligaments or sprained ankle? It is ridiculous to compare knee injuries against all other injuires in expectations of recovery. You are making it sound like you are more confident in someone coming back to form off a torn ACL than a high ankle sprain.

    You don't consider how many high school & college football player careers ended before they began with knee injuries. People come back...I'm not disputing that. How effective they can be at their related position is always a concern. You start piling them up...Then end is near. You want a college RB who tore every ligament in both knees & never played an NFL down over a kid who had sprained ankles, turf toe, or pulled hamstring with an NFL resume. I'm not going to argue your preference. Teams aren't setting their draft board and lumping together "concerns" on players in the "knee surgery, concussion, boo boo" column.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •