Thread: Three Steeler Starters could be gone tomorrow

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Three Steeler Starters could be gone tomorrow

Gerry: Steelers could lose three starters right away tomorrow Monday, 11 March 2013 18:44 Written by iJoomla Admin Free agency begins at 4:01 p.m. tomorrow and the Steelers are all but expecting to lose at least three starters when it does – WR Mike Wallace, CB Keenan Lewis and RB Rashard Mendenhall.

Wallace is one of the top unrestricted free agents on the market and could be signed by another team shortly after the free-agency period begins. The Miami Dolphins and Minnesota Vikings are among the teams who would be interested in Wallace, maybe the top deep threat in the NFL.

Lewis is among the top cornerbacks on the market and could be pursued by division-rival Cleveland, which is looking for a corner to pair with Joe Haden. The Browns have the most salary-cap room of any NFL team, approximately $46 million.

The Steelers are willing to part with Lewis because they really like Cortez Allen and think he is ready to be a starter. It’s the main reason they brought back William Gay last week to be their nickel back. Gay signed a three-year, $4.5 million contract.

The Arizona Cardinals and Denver Broncos are interested in Mendenhall, who fell into disfavor with Coach Mike Tomlin last season and was suspended for one game for failing to show up for a game when he was inactive.

With Wallace and Lewis, the Steelers are expecting them to receive offers well beyond what they would be willing to afford.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I just wish something would happen already. I'm tired of waiting, speculating and reading about it. SOOOOOOON!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Could you imagine if Jimmy Haslam bought them all... and Deebo too? I know it would never happen, but he's got needs (not for RB though) and cap room. I said on another thread and will repeat my thanfulness that Mike Brown is too cheap to try and sign Wallace. Having to contend with him and AJ Green in the division would be a nightmare.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Haden and Lewis > Ike and Allen

Good signing for the Browns if they don't overspend.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

TWO starters here, not 3!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!