Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Foster re-signed

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I know some of you thought he wouldn't be re-signed because he doesn't fit Haleys and Bicknell's scheme, but I like this signing.
    It all depends on the money. He is a decent player and started quite a few games. He does offer the ability to play tackle in a tight spot. I would be interested to see if they tell him to slim down.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    yup, as soon as June 1 arrives Colon will no longer be a Steeler.
    Couldn't they designate him as a post June 1st cut now? I thought teams were still able to do this.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Administrator

User Info Menu

There is no reason to keep Colon. How much do we save if we cut him AFTER June 1st?

The #'s ... and his salary just don't make sense
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We were thin on the line to begin with. Outside of the projected starters we only had Malecki signed to a contract, so signing Foster for either a starting role or backup was needed.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 03-11-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    There is no reason to keep Colon. How much do we save if we cut him AFTER June 1st?

The #'s ... and his salary just don't make sense
    After June 1, we would save the entire $5.5M salary that he is slated to receive this season. However, we would still be out about $4.4M dead-money cap hit for next season.

I've been touting this move for months - when everyone else was saying that we can't cut Colon because it would only save us $1.1M this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    After June 1, we would save the entire $5.5M salary that he is slated to receive this season. However, we would still be out about $4.4M dead-money cap hit for next season.

I've been touting this move for months - when everyone else was saying that we can't cut Colon because it would only save us $1.1M this year.
    It wouldn't surprise me to see the Steelers do this, but that is a lot of dead money to dump onto next year's cap.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

According to ESPN, cutting Colon would save 1.9 million, not just 1.1

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    According to ESPN, cutting Colon would save 1.9 million, not just 1.1
    If ESPN is right, why not just cut him this year.... save the 1.9 and eat the 3.6. Next year, we won't have to deal with it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[url]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/11/4089520/steelers-willie-colon-set-to-survive-predicted-march-massacre[/url]

Willie to the D-line nah. But he seems to be like a cat with nine lives!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Very typical Colbert.

Sign anyone (even cheap, questionable talents) to fill in your roster holes before the draft. We did it with William Gay. And I think Foster qualifies in that same group.

Gay fills the gap left by Lewis. Foster fills the gap left by Colon (I think the writing is on the wall for that guy).

It's not my favorite use of resources, but it's Colbert's MO. It opens up the draft for him so he doesn't feel obligated to have to pick a particular position.

I still think we are now shorter on talent at WR, RB, OLB, CB, NT and OG as compared to 2012. Staying healthy could make up that difference as well as finding a diamond or two in the draft, but it's definitely a transition year in my opinion.