Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: In Transition, Is Now Time for the 4-3?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    I'm sentimental, I like to watch the players stay together and am optimistic about Troy P this year so with that, I just don't get all the Lebeau hate. With very few splash plays last year, we still had one of the best (and the best statistically) defenses in the league. We are in the top 10 every year, so naturally Lebeau is the problem.

4-3, 3-4 I really don't care, I want to see some swagger, and not that chicken hawk swagger like Ike sometimes has but I mean some "Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu throwing a beat down" on people kind of swagger. It'll never be the 70's again with Lamber, Joe, Shell and Mad Dog again but we can still beat some teams up. Ravens and 49'ers in the superbowl, interesting, two defensive teams (although the Ravens were not what they once were) and two teams that run the football well. Interesting.
    Any swagger the Steeler defense had was cut this past Saturday.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Geesh...

Tomlin's an idiot, Lebeau is senile and can't coach because his players didn't get sacks, I'm not sure how Haley is avoiding criticism, but he is, Harrison was getting killed, Polamalu was getting beaten like drum, Taylor who can't catch, but amazingly the receivers he covers don't make catches either, Timmons only had 106 tackles and he sucked, Foote is too old and slow and Woodley is fat, lazy and couldn't be bothered based on what I hear and yet at the end of the year what unit would you rather have on the field to win a game?

On the other hand, Wallace played when he felt like it, Mendenhall got benched for fumbling and then believed he didn't need to show up at work, Rainey was released for beating his girl friend (after the season ended), Dwyer needed a blow after three consecutive runs, Antonio Browen go paid and then promptly made key mistakes in at least two games that led directly to losses, the offensive line couldn't stay healthy and had one player taking out his own teammates and Ben threw threw two passes that I'm sure he wished he had back, but none the less he coughed up two games and the offense was somewhere around 18th or 19th in the league.

Heath Miller was the only bright spot on offense all year and somehow he managed to disappear in almost every game.

And, we need to change the defense? Okay, you all run with that one, the offense will be fine with a rookie #2 WR or journeyman, Isaac Reman or a rookie as the feature back and either a backup or rookie as the tight end. They'll be playing without the most consistent lineman from last year and he protected Ben's blind side. Yea, I'd be worried about the side of the ball that has Woodley, Taylor, Polamalu, Keisel and Timmons and converting them to a 4-3.

The offense will carry this team in 2013, bank on it.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Geesh...

Tomlin's an idiot, Lebeau is senile and can't coach because his players didn't get sacks, I'm not sure how Haley is avoiding criticism, but he is, Harrison was getting killed, Polamalu was getting beaten like drum, Taylor who can't catch, but amazingly the receivers he covers don't make catches either, Timmons only had 106 tackles and he sucked, Foote is too old and slow and Woodley is fat, lazy and couldn't be bothered based on what I hear and yet at the end of the year what unit would you rather have on the field to win a game?

On the other hand, Wallace played when he felt like it, Mendenhall got benched for fumbling and then believed he didn't need to show up at work, Rainey was released for beating his girl friend (after the season ended), Dwyer needed a blow after three consecutive runs, Antonio Browen go paid and then promptly made key mistakes in at least two games that led directly to losses, the offensive line couldn't stay healthy and had one player taking out his own teammates and Ben threw threw two passes that I'm sure he wished he had back, but none the less he coughed up two games and the offense was somewhere around 18th or 19th in the league.

Heath Miller was the only bright spot on offense all year and somehow he managed to disappear in almost every game.

And, we need to change the defense? Okay, you all run with that one, the offense will be fine with a rookie #2 WR or journeyman, Isaac Reman or a rookie as the feature back and either a backup or rookie as the tight end. They'll be playing without the most consistent lineman from last year and he protected Ben's blind side. Yea, I'd be worried about the side of the ball that has Woodley, Taylor, Polamalu, Keisel and Timmons and converting them to a 4-3.

Pappy
    Thanks PAP that was great!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Any swagger the Steeler defense had was cut this past Saturday.

Pappy
    I fear you are correct. You also seem to know the difference between "swagger" and braggadocio. Clark will run his mouth. Woodley might too. It's not the same though...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I fear you are correct. You also seem to know the difference between "swagger" and braggadocio. Clark will run his mouth. Woodley might too. It's not the same though...
    Swagger doesn't need words, that's the difference right there.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

While Chadman doubts we will see a transition to a 4-3, he does wonder if, instead, we might see the Steelers transform the DL responsibilities to more of a gap shooting DL, now that it seems McLendon is moving into a starting role.

It might be that, instead of seeing the DL used to soak up blockers, we might see them trying to get after the QB with more regularity...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Geesh...

Pappy
    Pappy's just get crotchety in his old age...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Geesh...

Pappy
    Just let it out Pappy your gonna hurt your self trying to hold it in like that

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    While Chadman doubts we will see a transition to a 4-3, he does wonder if, instead, we might see the Steelers transform the DL responsibilities to more of a gap shooting DL, now that it seems McLendon is moving into a starting role.

It might be that, instead of seeing the DL used to soak up blockers, we might see them trying to get after the QB with more regularity...
    I like this idea. Hood and Heyward world benefit a ton from this it seems to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post

Letting the DL attack would be a positive start to geting this defense back to making things happen instead of playing passive and hoping things happen.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"