Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 Things about the draft you probably don't know

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    To keep in mind as you are doing your mock sigs.
    9) Zero chance the Steelers draft a WR in round 1. (Even if Patterson is there)
    I don't disagree with your other points, however, this one is wrong.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Although Chadman has not released his 2013 Mock just yet, he would like to point out that the Steelers are very likely in position to select the 2nd best CB on the board at #17, and if Keenan Lewis signs elsewhere...

Steelers 1st Round selections under Tomlin/Colbert:
    2007- Defense
    2008- Offense
    2009- Defense
    2010- Offense
    2011- Defense
    2012- Offense
    2013- ?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Starter

User Info Menu

5) Jake Stoneburner will not make it out of the 5th round.
    shhhhhh don't say that! I was hoping people would forget about him!
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Although Chadman has not released his 2013 Mock just yet, he would like to point out that the Steelers are very likely in position to select the 2nd best CB on the board at #17, and if Keenan Lewis signs elsewhere...

Steelers 1st Round selections under Tomlin/Colbert:
    2007- Defense
    2008- Offense
    2009- Defense
    2010- Offense
    2011- Defense
    2012- Offense
    2013- ?
    I think if Lewis departs...You would be spot on. Rhodes very well could be the highest rated player on the board and Trufant is closing fast. They would be a welcomed addition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I think if Lewis departs...You would be spot on. Rhodes very well could be the highest rated player on the board and Trufant is closing fast. They would be a welcomed addition.
    If Lewis leaves, who will play at CB while Xavier Rhodes has to sit through his redshirt season to learn Lebeau's system? It's a prerequisite to play on this defense right? No mere mortal can start year one in this defense.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    If Lewis leaves, who will play at CB while Xavier Rhodes has to sit through his redshirt season to learn Lebeau's system? It's a prerequisite to play on this defense right? No mere mortal can start year one in this defense.
    They can start if they are better than what's already there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    But, that's the point... I think that's why you see Jarvis in so many mocks... I've seen a few "expert" mocks that say "dumb groupthink on his injury will cause Jarvis to fall"... stranger things have happened

Funny, that was one of the things i totally agreed with him on. Considering the dink and dunk offense the team has gone to, I think a is very little chance. Look at how little used Wallace was in this offense... taking a guy for THAT role/production would be be so far down on the list of needs... especially when there are always servicable (and cheap) dink-and-dunk WRs available (see: Jericho Cotchery).

Basically, they need OLB, ILB, NT, RB, OG, WR, in that order... it's possible, but, i give a 5% chance. I'd say we're looking at 75% chance that it'll be LB or NT...
    Being that there is NO 3-4 OLB that will see the field day 1...I would say no to OLB in the 1st. That includes Jones & Moore. There is no ILB worthy of #17. I do not believe the Steelers are concerned about the NT position. There is no RB worthy of 17. If Colon truely is in the plans for 2013, G won't be that high. If they sign a FA WR...WR will not be that high.

Lots of "Ifs" that nobody but the Steelers have the answers to.
    Going into the draft...The Steelers biggest need if the retain Lewis, Foote, & all their RFA: RB, WR, TE, S, OLB, G, & ILB. That order. RB, WR, & TE are first because the will need production in those areas in 2013. S, OLB, G, & ILB are for 2014 & depth. That is on the outside looking in. Their feeling on Worilds could change that. If Colon is a planned June 1st cut that could make G a higher priority. If Foote is viewed as depth & insurance they may view ILB as a larger need. Just because they are ranked that way doesn't mean they get drafted that way. I am not implying that by no means. But if a need fits a grade & he is BPA...You make the pick.

As far as the dink & dunk offense. Many are mistaking the "dink & dunk" label. That was given in to comparison to BA vertical attack. Wallace's presence on the field had more of an impact on the "dink & dunk" offense than some give credit to. Haley's offense is designed to get the ball out of the QBs hands quicker with intermediate & timing patterns. Also designed to have more TE & RB patterns for dump offs and hot reads. The vertical guy is still necessary to stretch the S and create space underneath. Wallace was targeted more in 2012. Wallace had more drops in 2012. Wallace played one less game in 2012 than in 2011 and came up 8 catches short. His YPC was down as was AB's. How bad was it though? Wallace & Brown's TDs went up. BB's rating & TDs went up while his sacks came down. So what is more important YPC & Total yards or Scoring & efficiency? Haley attributes Efficiency to scoring not total yards & averages. Combine that with a solid run game...It is a good theory. The Steelers need to get the run game where it should be.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    See Allen & Gay as #2 & #3. Rhodes will make his way into the sub packages and be ready to start in 2014 when they release Taylor.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    I think Steelers draft pick is Jonathan Hankins if he is available at 1.17 and there are no pass-rusher available.

Dick Lebeau was there on his pro-day and Steelers like tOSU players. It seems Steelers don't value Steve McClendon much. This pick will change if Steve is signed long term.
    Ugh, I hope not. I'm not a fan of tOSU, and the last 2 first rounders the Steelers got from their both ended up with attitude issues (have read in a few places that Heyward is not well liked, and of course Holmes)...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

To keep in mind as you are doing your mock sigs.

1) Jarvis Jones will ABSOLUTELY be a top 12 pick.
    2) Gavin Escobar will be a top 40 pick and go before Ertz.
    3) Eddie Lacy will be a first round RB
    4) Ziggy Ansah will be a top 8 pick
    5) Jake Stoneburner will not make it out of the 5th round.
    6) The Sinkfield kid ran all his times in the 4.33 range and should go undrafted, he is not a good FB player.
    7) Johnathan Cooper or Chance Warmack will be available at 1/17.
    There will be plenty of NT's available for the Steelers 2nd round pick.
    9) Zero chance the Steelers draft a WR in round 1. (Even if Patterson is there)
    10) Travis Kelce will not be on the Steelers draft board.
    I think you are missing the biggest one of all....

Matt Barkley is going to woo scouts at his pro day and he will jump into the top 10. And many who thought there were questions about his arm strength are going to be very surprised at what they see.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash