Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: A team in transition

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    I am sure it is not their intent to use those 4-7 round picks on poor players that they don't think could make the team.
    Not saying they don't try to bring in players to compete for starting jobs. Between the 2009 and 2010 drafts they drafted 9 DL or OL with their late round picks. Out of the 5 drafts they picked 3 QB's even though they have Tom Brady. They drafted 3 WR and a few DB's. So yeah, I would say they were 'riskier' guys. 2 of the 3 WR were small white dudes for cripes sake. Not saying they weren't trying to find a starter.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    THE POINT OF THE POSTER IS THAT WE SHOULD HAVE MULTIPLE STARTERS ON OUR TEAM DRAFTED IN ROUNDS 4-7. THAT COLBERT STINKS BECAUSE WE DONT. MY POINT IS THAT YOU WONT FIND GOOD TEAMS WITH THAT SCENARIO. The Steelers have been as good as any team in the NFL over the time period being discussed. Including the above mentioned teams. So I will trow it back to the original poster, you or anyone else. Show me a good team with multiple Starters drafted in rounds 4-7 from the 08-12 drafts!!!!
    The Steelers were good with virtually ALL Cowher players.

Troy - BC. Ben - BC. Hampton - BC. Aaron Smith - BC. Ward - BC. Harrison - BC. Clark - BC. Ike - BC.

Look at this awesome Tomlin draft.

Rashard Mendenhall, Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis, Tony Hills, Dennis Dixon, Mike Humpal.

How many of those players will help us through this year's transition of the Cowher players? Answer: ZERO

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The fact of the matter and the point I am trying to make is if you went through every team in the league looking for starters that were drafted in rounds 4-7, you wouldn't find very many. Excluding Punters and Kickers I would bet there is less than 100 in the WHOLE league.

Legend

User Info Menu

The problem's not rounds 4-7. It's round 1. Maybe even 2 and 3. But mostly 1.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The problem's not rounds 4-7. It's round 1. Maybe even 2 and 3. But mostly 1.
    Agreed. As I have mentioned in multiple threads, using two first round picks in three years on 3-4 DE is stupid. To me, using a first round pick on a RB is stupid especially when three RB go off the board before your pick.
    @_Hellgrammite

Backup

User Info Menu

Mendenhall was the right pick.

But Heyward and Hood? UGH.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Mendenhall was the right pick.

But Heyward and Hood? UGH.
    There are 3 backs picked after him in that draft much better than him.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    There are 3 backs picked after him in that draft much better than him.
    hindsight is 20/20

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    hindsight is 20/20
    Yeah- at the time the Steelers boards were overjoyed and there were a number of those saying that he was already better than Parker. I know it sounds crazy in hindsight...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    The Steelers were good with virtually ALL Cowher players.

Troy - BC. Ben - BC. Hampton - BC. Aaron Smith - BC. Ward - BC. Harrison - BC. Clark - BC. Ike - BC.

Look at this awesome Tomlin draft.

Rashard Mendenhall, Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis, Tony Hills, Dennis Dixon, Mike Humpal.

How many of those players will help us through this year's transition of the Cowher players? Answer: ZERO
    Now you went and done it... you went and criticized Tomlin. One of the two people that are untouchable on this board (the other being Ben). lol

I thought Colbert and Tomlin nailed it last year with the first 5 picks. Well, pick 5 turned out bad but I still have hope for the first 4.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.