Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A team in transition

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Just so you can put this in perspective. Would anyone like to venture how many 4-7 round drafted players are Starters for the Patriots in the same time period???

ANSWER-1 AARON HERNADEZ

How bout the Ravens??

Answer-1 DENNIS PITTA

New York Giants?

Answer-1 Andre Brown (very shaky answer at that)

San Fran???

Answer-1 Bruce Miller ( a freaking FB)

THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST UNINFORMED THREADS EVER. I guess Ozzie Newsome, Scott Pioli/Thomas Dimitroff/Belichek can join Colbert as draft dunces. Seriously this thread is a joke.
    So then tell me. Leaving out last years draft, what draft in the prior 4 years do you feel good about picks 1-3?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Don't over react to this either. Only Brown is starting, BUT- Cortez Allen is close to starting, Beachum could be our starting OG in the next year, Jonathan Dwyer is #1 on the RB list, Ryan Mundy has seen significant playing time as a 7th round pick, David Johnson started a FB in a SB year.

It's not that surprising that late round picks that haven't even completed their rookie contracts, haven't made it as starters yet.
    no, no... there's only ONE... that's all! the sky is SO falling!
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    what you said, and what i said are completely different discussions. The question in the thread was about why they don't draft starters, to which I replied, ~you don't REPLACE many STARTERS on a GOOD team~. The basic question was, "why don't we have any 5th rounders taking Troy Polamalu's place?" The honest answer is "cuz that's a stupid question", but, I tried to be tactful about it.

Now, as for the team looking ahead at positions of need? I actually agree, but, the BPA phisophy has been so good to the team for so long. And I think they've tried, with some mid-to-late round misses. But, most teams miss in the mid-to-late rounds - that's why the players are mid-to-late rounders. But, there are guys they thought were capable when they drafted them (Keenan Lewis, Sean Spence, Ta'amu, Jason Worilds, for example). I think part of the problem there are a high number of aging, KEY long-term players coupled with the typical FA turnover that you get from a "good" team.
    We haven't drafted & groomed a FS since Chris Hope, nor a SS, dipping into FA for both.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    So then tell me. Leaving out last years draft, what draft in the prior 4 years do you feel good about picks 1-3?
    How many first, second, and third round picks have the Pats & SF had in the past 5 years?
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST UNINFORMED THREADS EVER. I guess Ozzie Newsome, Scott Pioli/Thomas Dimitroff/Belichek can join Colbert as draft dunces. Seriously this thread is a joke.
    Excuse you? What is wrong with this thread? My point was in saying that the signs point to decline. I hate to admit it; I still think we can change it. But you can't deny the signs. Those Steeler fans who jumped on the bandwagon circa 1992, may see their first period of non-greatness. We have a 30+ year old QB who we can't protect (and doesn't protect himself). We have a running game powered by two guys with no desire. We have an old defense (it has been called old for two seasons now)... and two years later, there is no more GOOD youth than was there to speak of. I never said anything about having late round starters or anything... I just pointed to a void of good young talent in general.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Patriots
    2012- two firsts, a second, and a third - 4 picks
    2011- one First, two seconds, two thirds - 5 picks
    2010- one first, three seconds, one third - 5 picks
    2009 - four seconds, two thirds - 6 picks
    2008- one first, one second, two thirds - 4 picks
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

SF has had 11 first round picks out of he past 7 drafts. Plus they were picking way ahead of us so bad example.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Way too many Chicken Little's come out after a bad year.

Chadman thinks we've been witnessing a very purposeful plan put in place over the last few years designed to replace aging stars with high calibre youth. That the young guys are not starting yet is not a problem. If the Steelers had drafted these guys, then had to sign multiple FA's to fill the holes because these draft picks didn't pan out- then you'd have a problem.

Within the next 2-3 years, guys like Polamalu, Clark, Taylor, Miller, Keisel & Foote will be gone to join names like Ward, Harrison, Farrior, Hampton, Smith etc.

For the most part, ready made replacements are on the roster already for these guys- and while doing that, the Steelers upgraded the OL with high picks in the process.

this years draft class will be no different- preparation to move on from guys that will be leaving the team in a couple of years time.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    We haven't drafted & groomed a FS since Chris Hope, nor a SS, dipping into FA for both.
    Whats wrong with that? Both have worked well so far. Allen was needed if/when Troy was hurt because Mundy a 6th rd draft pick in 08 could not do it well enough. And Allen helped on special teams. Troy and Clark were seen as starters for years. Can't take a higher rd FS/SS that leave as soon as there rookie contract is up because there still is a starting player in there spot! Or pick a bust like Anthony Smith in the 3rd rd of 06.

Legend

User Info Menu

I do think a better question about the drafts is why haven't we gotten many impact players in the first round like we have in past drafts?

How much did Cowher have to do with our drafts in the past? Maybe Colbert got a little too much credit?