Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall lead list of risky free agents

Starter

User Info Menu

Saw the article yesterday. There were actually 9 players talked about. All of them had a number of red flags.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    the steelers are broke, that's the reason.

what if lewis walks? Is he to be demonized as well?
    If he turns down a contract...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    If he turns down a contract...
    even if its for less money than he could get elsewhere?

sorry, that just blatant homerism.

Starter

User Info Menu

Don't follow this salary cap stuff much. But now I have some questions.

Does the salary all those Steeler FA's were paid this season count against the cap?

If so those contracts are supposed to expire 4pm Mar 12. Those guys did not play for nothing. If seems to me that an awful lot of money should be available soon.

In other words say the Steelers lose ehh! say Ramon Foster. Would they not now have enough money immediately to get another guy with equal or even better skills themselves?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

ramon foster played for 1.27 million last year I think.

that's not going to get you much on the open market. He will certainly get more than that from somebody.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    Don't follow this salary cap stuff much. But now I have some questions.

Does the salary all those Steeler FA's were paid this season count against the cap?

If so those contracts are supposed to expire 4pm Mar 12. Those guys did not play for nothing. If seems to me that an awful lot of money should be available soon.

In other words say the Steelers lose ehh! say Ramon Foster. Would they not now have enough money immediately to get another guy with equal or even better skills themselves?
    Simple answer is no, those players contracts are no longer counted against the Cap. The numbers you hear, of the Steelers being OVER the Cap, are the contract numbers of Steelers players under contract in 2013. If it were as simple as just letting these FA's walk & the Steelers would be swimming in cash, it'd be happy days all around, but alas..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Simple answer is no, those players contracts are no longer counted against the Cap. The numbers you hear, of the Steelers being OVER the Cap, are the contract numbers of Steelers players under contract in 2013. If it were as simple as just letting these FA's walk & the Steelers would be swimming in cash, it'd be happy days all around, but alas..
    Curses! Foiled again. Geez! Then the current situation is even worse than I thought. You mean if you wanted to keep Max and Larry you are pushing that freaking cap again?

You guessed right Chadman. That was what I was figuring. Oh well!

One more question: If we are just making it to the cap figure now without having signed anyone yet do you have any idea how to handle this situation?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    ramon foster played for 1.27 million last year I think.

that's not going to get you much on the open market. He will certainly get more than that from somebody.
    Yeah! I used that one as a starter. But, as Chadman pointed out. Even that would not matter since his salary was not counted against the 2013 cap. This situation is not good.

Is the following correct? As of now TS are a bit under the cap. But, they have to sign a lot of players yet to fill out the roster. I suppose these signings will put them back over the cap for this year and then the same thing will come up next year?

I will be watching for solutions to this situation.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Good article here: [URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1555726-why-mike-wallace-will-be-this-years-biggest-free-agent-bust?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&u tm_campaign=nfl[/URL]

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Good article here: [URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1555726-why-mike-wallace-will-be-this-years-biggest-free-agent-bust?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&u tm_campaign=nfl[/URL]
    Frankly, I was more convinced of title before reading the article. But, that is neither here nor there. When players leave here for me they have no interest. If TS happen to play them in the future I root hard to hurt them. Not physically, but hurt their egos and their value by beating them and their teams. Simple enough.

I only posted this because I saw another article there and looked at it. It summarized the cap situation of all the teams. You can bet TS are not the only team facing some cap problems. Just about all the teams are. Quite a few teams are being forced to make some undesirable cuts to meet the cap.